Trout fishin' Maryland style... - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 12:51 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Trout fishin' Maryland style...

Saturday my father and I fished Big Hunting Creek in Fredrick county, Maryland. It turned out to be one of those amazing spring days with seventy five degree weather and cooperative fish. Good numbers of small tan caddis and #16 Blue Quills were coming off all day however few if any fish responded to the floating naturals. I fished mainly small nymphs all day and landed over a dozen fish with a few in the sixteen inch range. I also had a brief encounter with a twenty inch plus stocked rainbow that proceeded to break my five X tippet almost immediately. Best part of the day was that almost all of the fishing was sight fishing. Certainly a nice change from my normal winter/early spring fishing.

Best of luck with your season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Nice report - thanks!

The weather is trying to fool us up here again into believing winter is over - expecting 70+ in NYC today. Tommorow will once again remind us that we are not out of the woods yet

Hopefully not too long now - the Housie is running at 47F and the Hendrickson activity is supposed to happen when it hits 50 - no matter what the air temp is doing.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
can't wait to fish the housie this summer again you're not kidding about the weather yesterday it was 80 and today it is around 40

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 04-17-2003, 09:01 AM

Hey Stephen,

How come you guys didn't go to the Letort instead?

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time. Did the Big Unit catch anything? Cant wait to get back down there next month.

Adrian - Do you fish the Farmy at all? A couple of friends were down there last week and did well on the surface. Can't wait till those big Hendricksons start popping up (shouldn't be long now)!

Dave
Old 04-17-2003, 09:40 AM
brookie! where?

how good is the farmington in the morning i only fished it the afternoon last summer

Old 04-17-2003, 09:43 AM

SDH,

I'm in MA so I don't fish the farmy but most trout streams I know of fish best at sunrise and sunset so I would give it a shot if I were you.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM

Sean, my experience with the Farmington is the same as what Dave says it fishes best at dawn & dusk. It becomes less noticable above New Hartford, but is still better at those times. My personal favorite is dusk. The other thing about dawn & dusk is that the inner tube hatch is gone.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Flats Rat

Only fished Farmington once so far at the fabled "Iron Bridge". It was late November and extremely cold but the place was still buzzing. The Housie is that much closer to home and runs through some stunning countryside - tough to put those extra miles in when such good things are so near
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Smile

Dave

We had originally planned on fishing around Carlisle Saturday and Sunday but I had a revelation about half way around the Washington DC beltway....It seems that I had forgotten that the opening day of trout season was that weekend in Pennsylvania. My father and I had no intentions of joining the circus so we hit a semi-local stream instead and spent Sunday working on our boat. Besides I am allergic to the smell of powerbait anyway!

Dad did manage to land a couple and miss a few more. The only problem with the trip was that the great hatch of blue quills was somewhat wasted because the wind kept them off the water for the most part.

I hope you are tying up some sulphurs and BWO's for our may trip.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:10 PM
brookie! where?

i have fished at the iron bridge but didn't catch anything
where i usualy fish the farmington is in reverton and upstream of that and the fish well let's say that they are of good size

Old 04-17-2003, 06:44 PM

Per Patrick McManus.....

"The best times for fishin' is when it's rainin', and when it ain't...."

That's the best advice you can ever have!

BobK

Last edited by BobK; 04-17-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.