Dawn Holbrook? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 11:44 AM

Question Dawn Holbrook?

Dawn Holbrook made cane rods out of his home on Green Lake, in Seattle in the 60's and early 70's from what I have found out so far. Also from what I hear he made a lot of 9 footers for Steelhead. Does anyone know anything about his reputation as a cane rod builder or where I may find more info?

May have a chance to pick one up soon from a friend who knows nothing about fly rods so I don't know as yet what he exactly has.
Thanks
OC
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 06:10 PM

DAWN HOLBROOK?

hello, OC,

In the late seventies I was fishing a 14 ft. double handed cane Sharpe's "Scottie" up in British Columbia and broke it while fighting a steelhead on the Skeena.

It broke at the ferrule of the mid-section and it made a sound I'll never forget. I was crushed, not only because I broke such a beautiful rod but because as some of you may know, a Sharpe's Scottie double hander fitted with ferrules instead of the usual splices is quite rare and I knew that finding a new mid-section would be out of the question.

I had pretty much written the rod off until I heard about a gentleman named Dawn Holbrook who both made and repaired cane rods.

Long story short, I tracked him down to his house in Mountlake Terrace and he completely refurbished the rod. He miked out the broken midsection and made a replacement, using the original ferrules. If you saw the rod, you'd never guess the mid-section was a replacement. He wouldn't accept cash. I finally gave him a Pflueger Supreme baitcaster as barter trade. I still use the rod on special occasions but at 23 ounces, it has to be a real special occasion, especially when I put a 4 1/2" Brass Faced Perfect on it. A good way to get bursitis when you flog that package all day.

The people that steered me in Dawn's direction said he made wonderful cane rods but admittedly, I never got a chance to try them. When I looked him up again to get one of his rods, he was no longer with us.

I think either Harry Lemire or Bob Stroebel told me about Dawn as in those days, he was a member of their fly fishing club. I'm sure those guys either have one of his rods or have used them and I'm sure they'd be happy to fill you in. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2003, 06:56 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Marketic
Wonderful story. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Pullin' Thread

OC,

Look up Alec Jackson, he is lives just a little north and west of your neck of the woods in the town on the top of the lake one town west of the freeway (this should point you to the proper locale). Alec used to fish with Holbrook and quit possible had or has one of his rods. And if not, he can probably tell you about them and tell you who to talk to for more info.

Harry Lemire can also help you and he lives just up north of you inn the town just past where I-405 joins I-5. Look him up and give him a call.

Bob Arnold did some fishing with Holbrook and remembers the rods as being very well built with a nice bamboo action. As far as Bob knows, they were never well known nor very common, altough Holbrook had a reputation of doing nice work and producing nice rods. Bob is pretty sure that Glasso fished with one of Holbrook's rods because Glasso and Holbrook were friends.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:54 PM
any fish, any time

cool story indeed. very nice.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:56 AM

Thumbs up

Thankyou for the info guys. I will ask Harry and Alec next month about Dawn's rods. I bet I can get a wealth of info out of those two and some great stories too.

Marketic, great story! There were some truely classy folks in fly fishing in the older days and there still is. Hope the winter fishing has been good to you between floods.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Recent Member

Dawn Holbrook

Contact Mike Gallavan at mfgallavan@attbi.com He inherited all Dawn's rod building materials and old tonkin cane. He worked with Dawn building rods and still makes them on Holbrook tapers. He should be able to tell you anything you need to know.

Randy

wrknapp@yahoo.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.