Singles rather than trebles - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2003, 11:16 AM

Singles rather than trebles

Do you loose more fish fishing with singles?

I have recently converted from fishing mostly trebles (old Scottish tradition) to fishing singles. This came about from visiting this site and taking part in some fly swaps. On Saturday I lost two fish I hope they were kelts (down streamers). Was I just unlucky or is the number of fish lost going to increase as the number of hooks decreases?

Would the number of lost fish decrease if the single had an off set?
It struck me that if the hook slid sideways as the fish closed its mouth the hook would just slide out. Now if the point was offset this could not happen. I was convinced this was how the second fish came off. I felt a tension then saw the fish come to the surface then the hook came clear followed by an Anglo Saxon expletive. Spring salmon are hard enough to hook without them getting away again.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 05:50 PM

Rate with Singles

Malcolm,

Dana said in another thread that he was landing 80% of his steelhead with Partridge Nordic singles on tube flies, are you doing that well with trebles? Also were you using barbs? I think you lose a few more without barbs.

We often do not have the option of using trebles here.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 03-31-2003, 10:03 PM

Single vs. Trebles

Dear Malcolm,

Ted is right: we often do not have the option of a treble for steelhead or Atlantic salmon in North America.

Here's a brief overview of sea-run Atlantic salmon regulations regarding hooks in North America.

U.S.A.: All fishing for sea-run Atlantic salmon is closed.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland, Labrador:
treble hooks are illegal.

Quebec: treble hooks are legal (last I checked, at any rate) but only in size #6 or smaller.

I don't know any anglers who fish trebles in Canada either with tubes or with the pattern tied on the treble.

For tube flies (not generally as popular for Canadian Atlantic salmon as for West Coast steelhead), most use either the Partridge Nordic Single--a black carp hook--or the Loop Double. I also use a Mustad 9174, a super-strong egg hook: cheap and very effective when sharpened.

Anglers still use a lot of doubles in Quebec, mostly Partridge and Mustad. I prefer the Loop Down-Eyed Double Hook to either of these brands.

Single hooks are more popular everywhere else. In Newfoundland, single barbless hooks are now required by law.

Offset single hooks may improve hooking very slightly in the situation you describe. I used to fish an offset Gamakatsu single hook. I no longer bother with offset single hooks and notice no drop-off in hooking-to-landing ratios.

TB
Old 03-31-2003, 10:40 PM

Malcom, .02 cents here only.

With a short shank #4 ring-eye very few fish come un-pinned; assuming they don't go "airborne" on you; then it's usually the leader that gives it up.

With short shank Loop ring eye doubles the fish almost hook themselves. And very rarily come un-pinned. Historicly, for what's its worth, I've lost more fish on trb. hooks that either doubles or a good single hook. Personal opinion only but "ring eye" hooks seem to grab better, faster and hold longer than either a 'eye' up or down.

Clueless as to why, just my "history" on the river.
fae
Old 04-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Hooked on Salmon

I have experimeted a good deal with hooks for tube flies. For many years the Kamsan trebles were the standard. It was only when I started going to the Kola, and later BC, hat there was a cause for a "blood thirsty Viking" to re think the use of "anchors".

I wrote an article on this for the Oregon's Flyfishers Club in the fall, and maybe it can be transferred to here. (no promises!)

To be short: if a treble reaches 100%, a Loop type tube double reaches ~80% and large single ~60% (Owner 80%) and a small one less than 50%. (Owner 70%) This is not science - just an angler's estimate.

I do not mean 100% success - even with a treble one will miss 10-25% of all fish hooked. If so it often is very early in the fight.

I think the Loop doubles makes for a pefrect compromise, wherever allowed. Contrary to common belief a double causes LESS harm than a thin wired single that often enough cna act as a cheeese cutter in a big salmon's mouth. The resulting gash is worse than the two anchor points created by a double.

Last year we radiotagged 30 good sized June-fish on the Kharlovka. I dare say 99% of those were caught on doubles. At the last reading in October all were alive, and several had been recaught. This says a lot about the harm done by doubles and catch&release alike......!!

I write this "off the hip" from the office. Hopefully it is readable!

Tight lines,
Per

PS. For singles the Owner AKI type short and stout singles are great. They have done me whole lot of good on the Babine. DS

Last edited by Per Stadigh; 04-01-2003 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:14 AM

I'm with Per

I'm moving away from trebles, although I haven't yet had an opportunity to give Loop doubles a fair trial on tubes. But trebles, particularly small ones (#10 and down), can bury all three points deeply in a fish's mouth, which is not good news if you want to release the fish quickly and retain the fly/hook. Doubles do not suffer from this problem nearly so much, though admittedly they can be harder to remove quickly than singles.

I have never liked Drury-type flies except in the small sizes; the longer shanks (#6 and up) seem to create too much leverage, and I believe that on occasion one point can actually lever the other two out. I have no proof of this, but remember well a fisherman in Norway losing a big salmon on one of these flies after about 50 minutes play, having hooked it from the left bank, and during which time the fish left the pool for the one below. The following week a lady caught a fish of about 43lbs in the lower pool, which we fished from the right bank. Her hook was in the left side of the fish's mouth, as you would expect when fishing from the right bank. But the right side of the fish's mouth also had a number of cuts and tears in it, which could not have resulted from her hook. I'm convinced that it was the same fish, and the multiple lacerations in both top and bottom jaw on the right side were a result of the three points of the Drury treble moving around during the course of the fight. It's not uncommon to land a fish and find one point of a treble bent (often not the one attached to the fish), but this seems to happen less often with doubles. Again I cannot prove my theory, but I believe this may be the result of one point being levered out during play by the others.

As for singles, I remember an old friend (now sadly departed) who would sometimes use singles early in the season, but preferred doubles or trebles later on. He maintained that as cock fish grew their kypes, they often develop a gap between upper and lower jaws at the sides of their mouth, and that a single could slide out of this, in just the way that Malcolm describes. Maybe an offset hook would prevent this, but it's interesting to note how they have gone out of favour with trout fishermen over here. 20-25 years ago they were quite common, but you rarely see them now. I can only assume that people came to the conclusion that there was no significant benefit from them. I have a feeling that once you get a hookhold with a single it is at least as secure as a double or treble, because there is no risk of one point acting as a fulcrum to lever the other(s) out. But maybe your initial hookup rate is less. It also occurs to me that Malcolm's single may have slid out of the fish's mouth because it was fishing on its side - Hugh Falkus was insistent that one should check that a fly swam properly before starting to fish. I think the increased weight of 'keel' from the two points of a double increases the likelihood of a fly fishing right way up, which is important not only for secure hooking but also proper presentation (unless, like the Willie Gunn, your fly is tied 'all round' without a defined top wing).

As a final point, I also think that flies look good dressed on doubles, though I'm not convinced that the fish really mind about this!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:23 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Malcolm,

I wish I could offer a comparison based on Dana and my records since we switched to the short shank Partridge Nordic Single Spey (Boile Carp Hook). However, since single barbless hooks are the law in British Columbia - and have been for many years - I have no experience with multiple hook points.

I can confirm what Ted reports about our hooking to landing ratio since switching to tube flies. While using standard salmon hooks our average was about 50 percent - and had been for years. Now in the start of our 4th season with tubes and the short shank hooks - it is hovering around 80 percent. The increase may not hold up over a longer sample - but it is hard to argue with the success so far.

Much of this success, I think is the Nordic Single Spey hook itself. It is quite short in the shank, with a very wide gap, as well, it almost looks like a circle hook. In fact I often have a hard time getting my fingers on the hook to remove it from the jaw of a fish - they really hold - and there is little leverage for the hook to work loose.

Maybe my ethic of believing the singles are better and healthier for the fish is born out of legal requirement. However, I do believe that the relatively small single hooks that tubes allow us to use have to be easier on the fish than multiple point hooks and even large traditional singles

Our biggest problem is getting suitable hooks. The Nordic Single Speys have in the past been somewhat difficult to find - as well, the eye of the hook is just a little too big for our liking. I know Dana has tried unsuccessfully to convince the people at Loop to make a single point version of their double - it seems they don't believe there is a market. I think they are missing the boat.

Malcolm, if you continue to experiment with singles, give a short shank hook - particularly the Nordic Single Spey a try.

Still Living Large!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Hooked on Salmon

Kush,

It is funny to hear how well the Nordic Single has been received with you. When new here it was felt that they were too short in the shank. But yours, and Dana's words count for more than old rumours!

Over here we also have a bunch of excellent "carp" hooks that are very good for this purpose. They shouls be easy to find anywhere in the UK.

I will se if I can send you some. You never got into the Owner ones?

Per
Old 04-01-2003, 10:15 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Per,

Maybe Dana showed them to me, I don't remember. Most of the Owner hooks I've seen are a little too heavy a guage for my liking, however, if you send some varieties of singles I would be very interested. Thanks.

Still Living Large!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:18 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Per
I'd also be interested in the hooks available "over there". If not too much trouble, would you mind leaving a few for me at Kharlovka camp? I'll be there week 33. Or perhaps Way could bring some back in June to send to me. Just let me know how much.
Bill
Old 04-01-2003, 11:58 AM

Interesting!!

Having read through the thread thank you for all your imput
Gardener, said,
It also occurs to me that Malcolm's single may have slid out of the fish's mouth because it was fishing on its side - Hugh Falkus was insistent that one should check that a fly swam properly before starting to fish. I think the increased weight of 'keel' from the two points of a double increases the likelihood of a fly fishing right way up, which is important not only for secure hooking but also proper presentation (unless, like the Willie Gunn, your fly is tied 'all round' without a defined top wing).

The fly as far as I am aware was fishing up right, it was an Ali shrimp and it looked good before I sent it forth.
Willie Gunns tied on a tube with a single hook, How would you ever know wether the hook was up down or side ways, more worries. The gillie says I worry about the science of it all I should just choose a fly and fish it, changing flies just wastes nylon

Per,
As usual you talk sense, but do you always use tubes? do you ever use standard dressed flies? I could see why you don't.
I will have to try these Loop Doubles.

Topher said
Offset single hooks may improve hooking very slightly in the situation you describe. I used to fish an offset Gamakatsu single hook. I no longer bother with offset single hooks and notice no drop-off in hooking-to-landing ratios

I was thinking about bending an off set into all my singles but if you find no difference I will save myself the effort.

Now that three days have passed and I have relaxed maybe it was just on of those days. I hate loosing fish I can remember fish lost as a boy over 30 years ago much better than the ones I caught. Saturday was a pig of a day the wind was 25-30 MPH downstream,if you couldn't Double Spey it was too dangerous to fish.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 04-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Greater effectiveness of singles.....

Most of the discussion on "more effective hooking with singles, and less lost fish" has come from the spoon and plug fishermen, and it is true in that case. There is more than sufficient data to argue that point. However, I know of no studies, other than someone's opinions, to argue the same case for flies. I think that we have carried this idea over to flies as "gospel".

Only way to prove the point is with a statistically valid study.
But since many of us fish with small dry flies and small nymphs, I doubt if there would be much interest, other than salmon and steelhead fishers.... and we are a minority.

BobK
Old 04-12-2003, 05:39 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Ok, can only give comparison on bait

My flies have always been singles. I fished only a couple times in UK, and can't remember if I was using a single, double, or treble.

But, when I first started steelheading. We used treble hooks with our bait and on our plugs. Some guys when allowed still use trebles on plugs. I've noticed, that on bait hookup/land ration was MUCH higher. I mean, only time you'd lose a fish was if it ran into trees/obstructions. But, with our sandshrimp or eggs, the fish would engulf it, and would always have 2-3 of the hooks into the fish. When they outlawed trebles, and went down to singles, our catch rates went down. I believe sometimes the fish would grab hook just right or off to side and hookset pulled hook out or impaled into a soft place. Lost more fish in that regards. Had almost no difference between barbed and barbless. Normally the barbless would sink faster and deeper with less effort. Only on the constanst acrobatics of some fish did they ever toss a hook. With fly fishing, I'd have to assume similar things would transpire. If you have a solid hookset, your single will drive in deeper. BUT, you'll have more of a pivot if you're using longer hooks. I'd assume if you had 2-3 of your treble hooks in with a longer hook, would be tougher to maneuver out on the leverage point. I only use singles/siwashes nowadays. I do know that in the days I used trebles, if that plug went off, I got the fish to the boat everytime. The only time I lost a fish was when I lost plug as well on a snag. Period! You do have guys who like to use oversized trebles on plugs, which cause a snagging effect if run into fishing zones. I never did that, nor did my fishing partners. I have had WAY too many times having fish spit or miss hooks hitting with siwashes on. I can't count how many long lined releases I've had on siwashes rather then trebles (none with trebles).

As I said, mine is more from a conventional gear aspect. It's a different fishing style. Especially with bait. With flies, I couldn't give a fair assessment, since I don't recall ever using them. But, hope my conventional gear assessment helped.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:56 PM

SCOTTISH WORM-CRAWL, ANYONE?

I'm a bit surprised to see a discussion of hooks and fish hooking success rates without any mention of the word "retrieve" or "hook file".

I've fly fished for Atlantic salmon and steelhead for almost thirty years now and I have never dead drifted a dull pointed fly for either species (at least not when Iím on my game). When I hear the phrase "long distance release" I immediately think to myself: "asleep at the wheel", or "dull hook" or "dead drifting fly while overly absorbed in fluviatile scenery".

When I find someone else's flies hooked to a tree branch, just for amusement I always check the point of the fly on my thumbnail. These are the fancy flies the cool dudes are using these days. Holy Cow -- 80 % of the time the hook points are dull! So it comes down to this: whether you're fishing one hook, two hooks or three, are they sticky sharp? And how are you retrieving that hook, if at all?

I wear a stripping glove on my right hand. Always have. Every cast I've ever made in my life is allowed to free drift only for a very short while. The rest of the time the fly is stripped back towards my rod tip, the line being pulled over my right hand trigger finger with my left hand. Whether it's a floater or a sinker, there is a continual almost imperceptible retrieve. And I never lift the rod tip on a set. I jerk the line downwards with my left hand over the trigger finger of my right hand, leaving the rod tip pointed straight at my fly and the fish that decided to take a pass at it.

As a child I remember calling this type of retrieval "the Scottish Worm Crawl". As an adult I call this form of retrieving a sharp single hooked fly over my trigger finger as "95% beach rate". The remaining 5 %? I call that "Oh Well".

Treble hooks? Three times the trouble. And Iím appalled they werenít banned years ago. Not because they are so aesthetically obscene stuck in a fishís face. Itís because they are not a good tool for the job.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:08 AM

95% - WOW!!!

Marketic

That is the highest beaching rate I have ever heard of. I am impressed.

It sounds like you are more keeping tension on the fly than stripping? That may work better for Atlantics than for steelhead, especially in the midwest where much/most of the fishing is done at very cold water conditions.

You are right on about the sticky sharp hook. If they do not grab the fingernail when slid across, they are not really sharp enough.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin

Last edited by t_richerzhagen; 04-14-2003 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.