Final WDWF steelhead checks for 2003 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2003, 09:00 PM

Post Final WDWF steelhead checks for 2003

Washington DFW has issued final winter steelhead creel survey of the season. Here are some season totals for the Hoh River and the Quillayute System (including Bogachiel, Calawah, Sol Duc).

..........Wild Steelhead Kept - 681
....Wild Steelhead Released - 569
....Hatchery Steelhead Kept - 347
Hatchery Steelhead Released - 80

My simplistic observations:
  1. we caught more wild fish than hatchery fish
  2. we killed more wild fish than hatchery fish
  3. we killed more wild fish than we released
-Bert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 09:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
I wonder what the percentages are for gear vs. fly fishing???

there is no reason to keep a wild steelhead in this day and age. CnR
Old 04-08-2003, 11:55 AM

Or the WDFW spends more time in the wild kill areas doing checks rather then in the C and R areas to make the numbers say that more people want to kill fish then release them. I agree that there is no reason to kill wild fish (yes I know that there is a mortality but I am talking whacking them over the head and giving them a zero chance of survival), but the department doesn't agree with two-thirds of the steelhead fisherman in the state.

JJ
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

These body counts are conducted at boat ramps, known parking areas and active shoreline fishing areas on the three river's system. I've been asked many times, sometimes in surprisingly remote access points but most often when I am using a state access area - you know the ones with the stone porta-potties. IMHO they are a fair census method for measuring the success of folks with drift boats, folks who congregate at hotspots, or those using common access points. I believe this constitutes the majority of steelhead anglers on the system, but certainly not all - and the minority who are bushwhacking are probably much better than the average anglers but they are also much fewer.

My wild-assed guess FWIW is that this does provide a sampling result worth study. Once again the enemy is ourselves - or more appropriately stated those who can not let go of bonking natives.

I would be interested in knowing how many of these natives were bonked by repeat bonkers. I think this would be interesting to monitor the effect of seasonal limits on wild fish, perhaps to 1 per river or 3 per season, etc. Just a thought, but who knows maybe the ratio of killed to caught might have flipped with tighter season limits per system, etc.

I think the important thing is to preserve the legacy of steelhead sporting in the region but talk the native-bonking mentality off the ledge to become one of sport, not meat.

I read that in Europe you could C&R a wild fish and be given a whole farm-raised atlantic salmon in exchange. Better yet if it were filleted already. Heck sit down, I'll grill it for them and their sports or buddies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.