Saltwater 6-weight... action? - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Marine Scientist

Saltwater 6-weight... action?

Hi All,
I'm going to be building another 6-weight rod for saltwater (beefed-up hardware, oversized guides, fighting butt, etc.), mostly for tossing flies size 4 and under to seatrout and other relatively small seafare. The first 6-wt. I built for this purpose was a medium-fast action and, in my opinion, better suited for a 5-weight line, so it became my "general" trout stick. I'm looking at using an SCIV blank this time, 4-piece. My question is, what type of action do you prefer in a rod when tossing relatively large flies with light line? I tend to have a quick casting stroke, so I think that the fast action of the SCIV blank will work well, but I'm open to any comments on using a slower action.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 05:34 PM

Chris, Have you looked at Anglers Workshop 3 & 4piece Salt Stalker blanks? VERY nice.
I'm currently building a 6wt from Cabela's 5 pc Stowaway. Not as fast I don't think.
I always found fast desirable in the salt. Bucks wind better and has more reserve fighting power in the butt when needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.