What's the general appearance of your fly tying area? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

View Poll Results: How tidy or messy is your tying area?
Very tidy 4 13.33%
Somewhat tidy, somewhat messy 5 16.67%
Quite messy 9 30.00%
Moving any object on my desk might cause a catastrophic avalanche 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Marine Scientist

What's the general appearance of your fly tying area?

I pose the question because in many of the tying books I own, photos of the author's tying area always paint a picture of overall neatness; this is in direct contrast to my own fly tying area. In fact, on a "neatness" scale of 1-10 with 10 being the neatest, my desk probably ranks in at -22. This is largely because I tie four or five patterns a week and the assorted materials always get scattered around; still, I know where to find what I'm looking for, even if I have to excavate through a mound of stuff to find it. My office is the same, I must admit, but my excuse is that, being a scientist, the more stuff I have piled in various places, the busier I look!:hehe: "High levels of entropy at work"...
Feel free to post a pic of your tying area to show your friends a) how much stuff you've got (on second thought, this might be a bad idea, as some stuff might get borrowed), and b) that you're messier than they are!

Last edited by flyfisha1; 04-06-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2003, 01:15 PM

I'll take the "5th' on this one!

Please remove this post before any 'significant others' see/react to same!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:23 PM

Fred I'm already relegated to the basement due to the significant other. :hehe: Besides I thought that you had a secret rod/fly tying closet in your new house. Running and ducking...
Old 04-06-2003, 01:59 PM

John, Joan "reminds me" of this a bit too..

often. One of the extra bedrooms was set up for this but "stuff" just seemed to 'gravitate' back down to the family room.

Elves in the night?
Old 04-06-2003, 04:11 PM

My table is such a mess I've been know to lose whole sets of flies for swaps on it.I think I know what I got and sometimes stuff isn't where I remember I left it.:hehe:
Old 04-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley
...I think I know what I got and sometimes stuff isn't where I remember I left it.:hehe:
That's because the fly tying gremlins come in the middle of the night and re-arrange everything!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 PM

My Bench? I prefer to refer to it as being in a constant state of flux. I'm lucky enough to have taken over a corner of the family room and have expanded to a 8' section. My only problem is when I close the door to the garage, which is right next to my area, it's feather city:hehe:
Old 04-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Marine Scientist

I had the desk out in the garage, but decided to move into one of our vacant rooms. I have now taken this room completely over, and have my books on one wall, the desk and supplies on another, and my favorite black leather chair with end table when I want to sit in peace and read. Have to keep this door closed, though, otherwise our dogs would have a field day with all the stuff laying around on the desk.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I try....

Every time I tie, I just pull out sufficient material for 1 pattern, and tie up a bunch. But the damn material seems to get mixed up with what I tied last (or plan on tying next) and ends up being a mess. Oh, well - just close the door and forget about it until next session!:hehe:

BobK
Old 04-06-2003, 06:57 PM

Mines still messy, but less, I now only bring out the material I am actively tying with, and put it back in storage chest when done. Now the storage chest is a mess with material all over the place unordered. I find stuff I forgot I bought two months ago. Example thought I was out of white marabou, went through the chest drawers and found three packages !!

If I don't put the material away after each tying session the two siberian husky pups will get it. I cover the table with a big old towel, but they manage to poke there nose underneath and occassionally grab something I forgot to put away, like a squirrel tail or krystal hair. They chew it.

Needless to say all hooks are put away for sure each time. I will be in big trouble if one of the dogs gets hurt by a hook I left out.

One killed a field mouse in the backyard today and played with it for an hour before I had to clean it up. I don't think that one will be interested in my fly material today.

Never a dull moment in this house.

PM Out
Old 04-06-2003, 08:45 PM
_

I voted "quite messy", but only because my tying area is confined to relatively small space. If I had a larger tying desk then I'm sure the mess would expand to fill the available space. Here's a photo of its present state, with the newly tied woolly bugger still in the vise:

Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyingarea.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1816  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
What is left over from my last tying session...this all just laying on the floor in my room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0563.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1817  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Mod

...another shot!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0565.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1818  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Mod

...the scary thing is, this is the cleanest my tying junk has been in months!!!

And to take it a step further...who has the most crap in the back of their fishing rig.

Note: Ignore that one boot in the lower left side of the pic...that is super secret protype Simms boot...you didnt see NOTHIN'!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0566.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1819  
Old 04-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Fluff

Mount Krakamanjaro

[See posting title :eyecrazy: ]

This is one time I'm glad I don't own a digital camera or scanner - I'm gonna vote up there with ashley and Q - on a desk with about 7.5 square feet on the work surface alone, I've got maybe - MAYBE - a one-by one-and-one-half foot square 'spot' to work in; the rest is covered with pelts, tails, quills, bottles, hook boxes, plastic bags, books and magazines, catalogs...

and the best part is, it's right next to, and on plane with the cat's window bed - guess who likes investigating all the new 'toys' when I'm not around

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.