Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kush 
#1 ·
General Practitioner pattern . My books don't have one and I haven't had any luck with my net searchs . thanks Bruce

#2 · (Edited)
GP Scottish version

Bruce,
Hook size 6-12 Esmond Dury Treble
Silk Red
Long Whiskers Orange Bucktail
Shrimps head Two golden pheasant feathers red body feathers tied concave to concave.
Body Orange seal fur
Rib Oval gold
Hackle Orange cock palmered
Wing/back Two or three whole GP tippet feathers tied in stages up the body with a GP red body feather over all.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Malcolm

#3 ·
Bruce,

Thread: Florescent orange
Hook: any sinlge or double salmon iron from #3/0 to #8
Tail: Orange bucktail as long as the hook shank, hot orange
Krytal Flash over (opt)
Tail veiling: small G.P. red breast feather (pair) tied over the lower
1/4th of the tail
Body: Hot Orange seal or substitute dubbing
Rib: Oval Gold
Hackle: Hot Orange palmered up body. (the hackle should be
palmered down the body and then held in place with the
ribbing.)
Eyes: G.P. tippet with the center cut out, base cemented to keep
sides seperated, with a Pair of G.P. red breast feathers
over, tied on top of the body after the hackle is trimmed
on top.
Body: Hot Orange Seal or substitute
Hackle: Hot Orange tied as before
Rib: Oval Gold
Carapace: 2 red G.P. breast feathers tied on top after the hackle
is trimmed on top.

Note: On large hooks, it may take up to 4 body sections each with its own carapace of 2 G.P. breast feathers on top. Small hooks, #8 and smaller, only need one carapace of red G.P. breast feathers tied at the head of the fly.

My favorite hook to tie the G.P. on is the Alec Jackson heavy spey hook in #3 with the same hook in # 1 1/2 used in high or very cold water. The Partridge Bartleet Double ties a beautiful G.P. I don't use it though because we cannot use double hooks on selective gear rules rivers in Washington, and I don't won't to risk a fine because I forgot to take it out of my fly box.

#4 ·
Here...

Here's the list I used to look at first when looking for salmon/steelhead patterns:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/flytext.html

It has recently been replaced as my first resource by the Flies of North America CDRom, but is a good list.

Here's the pattern from there:
The link to the page...

Details from the page:

Name General Practitioner (Drury)
Category: Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead
Hook: Size 6 to 10, Salmon Hook
Thread: Red or Orange
Long Whiskers: 5 or 6 Feathers from a Golden Pheasant Spear Feather
Short Whiskers: Golden Pheasant Red Breast Feathers
Prawn Head: Tippet Feathers Tied in Between Two Golden Pheasant Red Breast Feathers
Rib: Oval Gold Tinsel
Body: Orange Seal's Fur
Hackle: Orange Cock, Palmered
Back Feathers: Tippet Feathers Tied in Between Two Golden Pheasant Red Breast Feathers
Head: Red

Note: This pattern came from the fine book by Peter O'Reilly, Trout & Salmon Flies of Ireland. He writes that the General Practitioner was originated in the 1950s by Colonel Esmond Drury, and is considered one of the best imitations of a shrimp or prawn. It can be a deadly fly fished in small sizes on a floating line in low water. Others prefer to fish this as a big fly on sinking line, raising and lowering the rod tip.

-Gus

Visit me here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.