FB PinFish - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2003, 06:24 PM
President of CAC

FB PinFish

Here is a Pin fish fly... not to be used around here but shouth of say..Maryland.. This is FB style with Pearl Angel hair inside and the usual front spreader. I then shingled Rooster..olive at the bottom, then light blue, then yellow, then light blue, then yellow, and so on. untill I finished the top with olive and placed a painted dot. and small gold rimmed eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbpinfish.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1808  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Marine Scientist

I could use a few of them in Florida! Pinfish are everywhere down there, and I've taken quite a few species on their imitations, from jacks to spanish mackerel to 'cuda.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:01 PM
President of CAC

Chris, I posted it on "Floridasportman" site to get comments about improving it since I have not really seen the real thing..we will see... any comment you have would help...should I use thinner hackles to simmulate the lines?????Are the colors Right????
Old 04-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Marine Scientist

John, I attached an "artist's rendition" below; it's pretty accurate. Overall the fish takes on a turquoise to lavender hue with very thin yellow stripes running from the nose to the tail. Your pattern is pretty close, but as you suggest, the yellow hackles might be a bit thinner. Out of the water, the darker color appears to be deep lavender, but diving with them of course makes them look totally different, much more of a pale brown, to match the sand and silt bottoms they typically live over. Also, the faint vertical barring is what alerts me to their presence; when it moves, I see them. If not for this barring, I probably wouldn't know that they were there. Still, I think you're certainly on the right track. I need to learn to tie these FB flies of yours!
I may try to tie something up in that color scheme in a hy-tie today (I specifically picked up Polar Fibre in yellow and lavender at the local Orvis store a couple of weeks ago to do one of these). Either way, I think your fly would be very productive, particularly in the Keys where pinfish are literally everywhere and range in size from little 2" guys (less seen) to 4"+ that are often used for tarpon, sharks, and the occasional 'cuda.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pinfish.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1809  

Last edited by flyfisha1; 04-06-2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:15 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Chris ,that is great information and I will give those facts some thought and try to improve the fly. I will also look into the polar fiber applications because it maybe better than capes for distiguishing stripes... I will think it though.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Marine Scientist

In retrospect, I wish I would have bought some teal polar fiber to top this off, but I ended up using pearl flash, instead. No vertical marking; I'd use a light gray Pantone if I were going to do it, just for the subtlety of it. This is white, then three alternating layers of yellow and lavender, then the flash. 3/8" eyes. Overall size of this one is 3.5", a little smaller than the ones I see the most of in the Keys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pinfish 4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1811  

Last edited by flyfisha1; 04-06-2003 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.