The Future - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2003, 03:55 PM

The Future

Good afternoon,
When I read Juro's post "The pleasure has been all mine", I was a little surprised. But surprise soon lent itself to understanding. It takes a great man, a man with vision, to step out with an idea and bring it to fruition. Juro put his name on Fly Fishing Forum, then realized the accomplishment.
When the leader steps aside, many things come into view. Things that were taken for granted while they rested on others shoulders, become quite apparent resting on ours.
As Juro said "we are motivated", we "get things done", we achieve "amazing feats of teamwork and energy". We are also a compassionate, understanding, dedicated, knowledgable group of men and women. I to am amazed at "the breadth and depth of the membership". As we go forward into the future, I feel we are standing on the threshold, with potential galore! But all journeys start with one step.
Juro ended with a call to "ask questions" and so I pose a few
1- Do we have a Mission Statement? If we do, lets post and review it. If not, we need one! It will act as a road map for our direction.
2- Lets get some feedback from the readership on the health of the site, a pulse check so to speak. Let the ideas flow!
We are a forum, a "virtual fishing lodge" with members from the four corners of the world. A council, open to all like minded "individual contributors that make the community meaningfull as a whole.
Deerhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Our mission statement (on homepage)..

We are a community of flyfishers...

dedicated to sharing knowledge & experience, protecting resources and promoting friendships and fun around the world. All are welcome, there are no strangers on the water.

Pretty damn good job we did back then I'd say!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:18 PM
President of CAC

My feeling is that it is ok for Juro to say all this and I have discussed this with him many times... but as far as I am concerned he will never be far away from the site and Frankly, I expect to see no "significant" difference in his actual participation... but that's me...I will not let him off the hook so to speak
Old 04-06-2003, 01:22 PM

THE FUTURE

Good morning,
Mission statement key points;
Sharing knowledge and experience
Protecting resources
Promoting friendship and fun around the world

"Damn good job, back then" Right on, man! As I said eairlier, "great man, a man with vision". But how does this statement stand now? Is this as far as we want Fly Fishing Forum to go? Are we comfortable with that goal 3 years later? 1500+ members later? Worldwide?
Is the Forum comfortable with it's voice? One concern I have is that perhaps we have minimized the statement with respect to the forum's growth, rather than maxamized. Another concern I have is that striblues comment of Juro's participation showing "no significant difference" speaks larger volumes. Not in respect as to wheither Juro stays on or steps aside, but to the fact of the state and direction of the sight as a whole.
Proverb
There was a flower on a path by the landowners house. All along the flower was watered, pruned, and fed. Everyday the landowner commented "what a beautifull flower". But because the flower was in the shade of the cottage, and kept from the full sun, it never achieved its full beauty.
Anyone else want to comment on this, lets not be shy, this is your site to!
Deerhawk
Old 04-06-2003, 08:21 PM

FUTURE....?

....AND THE SILENCE....WAS DEAFENING
Deerhawk
Old 04-06-2003, 08:46 PM
President of CAC

Wait...I meant that I would see no significant Difference with his departure... I expect him to always be there in his own way... that's what I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!He is the back bone and as far as I am concerned will remain as such...
Old 04-06-2003, 10:41 PM

FUTURE......?

Striblue,
I knew exactly what you meant, so did everyone else, including Juro. I was expanding on your comment. Even though Juro said he is stepping down, he is the backbone and will remain as such....gone....buuuut....not realy gone. You and others dont see any real change in the operation of the site at any time in the foreseable future.
I was given a great opportunity here. For a very long time I wanted to write for a real mag. Juro gave me that chance. He knows how I feel about that. I am a member of this group. As a member, contrib. editor, moderator, I have a BIG stake here, and I am telling you I am concerned about the direction OF THE POTENTIAL, or lack of it, that this site is going. If the tables were turned, I would expect anyone of you to be as passionate as me, not holding back!
This site is our "resource" and should be used to it's fullest, and for a long time I have felt that it has NOT been.
Am I to understand that the readership has no problem talking about the music they like to listen to on the way to the favorite spot, yet will not debate the future of the sight? I aplaud you and Juro for responding to this thread. And the underlying theme of this has nothing to do with anyone comming or going. You know I have pi**ed a few people off starting this thread. But I am willing to lay EVERYTHING I have invested here for the future of this site!
We need to take the next step, no holds barred!
Come on people, let's USE what Juro, Dana, and Sean laid the foundation for and BUILD!
Deerhawk
Old 04-06-2003, 11:31 PM
President of CAC

Sounds like the begining of a plan to me.....
Old 04-07-2003, 01:09 AM

I dont understand, I lost my computer for 6 months, after that 6 months I came back here and found hundreds of names that I had never seen before , a couple years ago Juro joined with the spey pages, that brought hundreds. When other sites are shrinking this site keeps growing, it has everything to do with the good people who run it. to imply that the site was lacking under Juros, Sean, and Danas leadership is a oversight.
Nate
Old 04-07-2003, 07:02 AM

I have been and continue to be very pleased with where the forum has "been" and the direction it is currently going.

Put in other words. From its inception this site has never ceased to grow or change. The rate and substance of that growth and change has always pleased me and it has been a source of pride.

Gregg
Old 04-07-2003, 08:00 AM

The Forum is in fine shape.

One caveat though, take a look at the top 40 posters under the "Members" section. Many of the top posters post here on a irregular basis - they've just been members since the incepttion.
The Nor'Westers are comin' on strong with high quality forums & discussions. The rest of the forum sections could elarn from the Nor'Westers.

Not looking for quantity instead of quality but as I've said time and again, you get out of this what you put in. The new moderators need to foster discussions and the "quiet" membership needs to become involved.

Roop
Old 04-07-2003, 08:50 AM

Re: FUTURE......?

Quote:
Originally posted by DEERHAAWK
Striblue,
This site is our "resource" and should be used to it's fullest, and for a long time I have felt that it has NOT been.
In what way(s)? Can you be more specific?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Deerhawk I'm sorry for not being up for a post on this yesterday. Here is where I see that the forum is headed.

Current Status:
The participation of those in the northeast and northwest is strong and we are slowly, but surely gaining a membership base across the great lakes region. Members are primarily interested in fishing for striped bass, steelhead and various salmon and trout. As a group we are able to calmly discuss topics that we do not agree on and have avoided the vituperous personal attacks that I have seen on some other boards & usenet.

Growth areas:

I see opportunities for substantial growth in several areas. There are not a lot of members in either the southern half of the country or the rocky mountain area. This growth would be in the warmwater and trout areas.

How do we get there. That is worthy of discussion.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:53 AM
President of CAC

Look...here's my take on it... yes there is a lot of information we can share.... and learn, environmental, equipment, tying.... But this forum..to me is about all the people... When I think of the forum... I think of the people who have been to CAC.. the early mornings with Pete and Juro... FredA giving me hard time about my cloths and my morning coffee... and about my being late after I said I would meet him.... the Rip trips.... the good humor of Big Dave and Nick... and don't forget the Roopster... Mr Happy, DFix....Jimmy,JfBasser, and Brian casey and CCA...Bob Pink. Lefty and his love of Chatham and dislike of the north shore...I could go on and on with more names and events..but that's it and only it....for me.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

(pseudo-titles quoted, we have no such formalities here)

As I had stated before, I may always be founder but must step down from my "executive producer" role since I will be taking a job with one of our sponsors, CND Spey Rods unless the structure of the Forum changes to allow sponsors in it's "board of directors". We could presumably go in the direction of many entities and allow sponsors to sit on "the board" if they invest a higher level of sponsorship, but that is not how we are organized today and there are no plans to change.

So I will stay on only as a worker-bee in the "creative" and "graphic arts" department as well as "web developer" to implement the decisions the new forum committee makes. This is out of respect for all existing sponsors, and to ensure that the Forum remains 100% neutral as the day it was created. I could take the path of most other sites and seek personal benefit from my years of investment here, but would rather see the ship sail on in it's pure form as a neutral resource for member and sponsor alike - hopefully forever.

As far as where the forum is today... IMHO...

In addition to the above mentioned areas of strength, we are also very fortunate that the European and Canadian classic salmon community is part of our community, with people like Simon, Per, Malcom, Topher, Nobuo etc - the rich history and timeless techniques add a valuable asset to the site overall. Classic salmon fishing and spey casting and flies are among the oldest and richest elements of our sport.

Although less active, the tropics / sub-tropics are areas with great support from Ben Iannotta Jr., Bob Veverka, and a number of people who live in the sun who enrich our community. I think we should add the tropics to areas of growth, since we many are avid saltwater flyfishers here. This involves both inshore and bluewater, and with the explosive growth of bluewater flyfishing for large tuna on the atlantic coast, we have room for a lot of fun and information there as well.

Certainly an area that has received the most attention in the industry is trout fishing, yet we tend not to duplicate the existing information overload while being focused on other fisheries. Nonetheless, we should stay focused on a solid foundation of trout angling activity and information because our membership is active in it. It's an area we could use some growth.

I believe we've made steady progess every step of the way and if we do nothing more than continue on the path we're on we've done something worthy of pride. That being said, knowing which directions we should proceed to maximize the Forum/Speypages experience is a good thing, and as others have said already is worthy of discussion among the committee members to present to the membership at large.

It's been an honor and privilege to help bring the site to where it is today, I look forward to contributing graphics, html work, content, and my dedication as a member of this community. I completely trust the new leadership to take this site foward in the spirit of it's creation.

Perhaps the new leadership will have to coalesce a working organizational structure to ensure that the goals are clear and the progress measurable, perhaps not - the important thing is that we NEVER forget to kick back and enjoy this celebration of the angling lifestyle.

Clave on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.