Monster Squid - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2003, 12:05 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Monster Squid

I saw this baby monster squid that weighed in at 330 pounds. Figured you guys and gals might appreciate seeing it. The colossal squid is said to be able to reach 2,000 pounds in weight with tentacles that can reach 13 meters in length. Jules Verne would be proud!

Check out the story at http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science...eut/index.html

Better picture
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news...=&floc=ns-wnew

Last edited by GregD; 04-05-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 06:37 PM

Hey stranger, Where you been? And how's the future Pres. doing?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Marine Scientist

"A rare and dangerous squid with eyes the size of dinner plates and scores of razor-sharp hooks to snag its prey has been caught by fishermen off Antarctica, New Zealand scientists said on Thursday."

Dangerous? Certainly, if you're a bathypelagic fish. Dangerous to people? Come on! A marine animal with eyeballs the size of dinner plates needs them for just one thing: seeing in the lightless depths of the oceans, not looking for hapless animals swimming at the surface. Most of the "giant" squid species inhabit abyssal waters, and it's more than likely that this one was either very sick or on the verge of death for it to have migrated all the way to the ocean's surface. The only large squid that I'm aware of that poses any legitimate threat to man is the Humbolt Squid, with is found in the Gulf of Mexico. They cruise the "surface" waters at night, and have not only been seen to attack, kill, and eat divers but also eat each other if a fellow squid has been wounded. Honestly, I realize that the people interviewed are scientists, but I don't think that getting media attention by saying, "Look what we found, it's a huge, deadly beast that can kill people and eat their boats" is the sensible way to approach the subject. You can tell I'm one of those Marine Biologist-types that advocate that sharks are only dangerous because we're in their home and are therefore at risk...
Ahhh well, off my soapbox now.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:57 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Quote:
Originally posted by bcasey
Hey stranger, Where you been? And how's the future Pres. doing?
Hi Case,

I have been spending too much time looking for decent work, studying, supporting family duties and less pursuing my interests. Most of the web browsing of late has been reading reqs or E-mail and sending out resumes. A few weeks ago I read 25% of the internet traffic in America was on Monster.com, no surprise here. Still getting out to the UFT, RFR and trout unlimited when I can. Haven't made it to any CCA meetings this year though :-(.

The future Pres is doing well, he is getting as anxious as Dad to wet a line. We already have a date with a worm hatch down in R.I. and Trout Unlimited Kids day in May, But I'm sure will be out exploring before then.

I hope to see ya on the water this year, it won't be long now :-).

Greg.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:40 PM
President of CAC

Greg...nice to hear from you and that was a great article...Saw a TV show on the same thing some time ago... Missed you at the UFT meeting and hope we can get together and fish this season... I still need to make time to get down to your neck of the woods.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:26 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi John,

I skipped the UFT auction. Lots of good stuff there if you have some money to spend. Probably see you at the next UFT meeting. I might be able to get away for the Rip trip May 3rd will see. I'm sure will be able to get out sometime this season, I'll be in touch.

Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.