Puget Sound Area 9 Closing! - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 10:05 AM

Puget Sound Area 9 Closing!

Fellow flyfishers,

Yesterday, I submitted public testimony at the North of Falcon meeting where the salmon seasons for Washington, including Puget Sound, are set.

At a previous meeting, it was decided to close Area 9 to all fishing. This includes fishing from the beach for the month of July, which was open last year. I tried to get them to reverse the decision yesterday.

There is still time to voice your opinion. They will begin finalizing the rule changes this coming monday.

It appears that the WDFW does not have a model that includes beach fishing. In other words, they don't know how many people fish the beaches in July for early coho in an area that includes: Point No Point, Eglon, Salisbury Park, Marrowstone Island, and all the west shore of Whidbey Island. Area 9 affords the most opportunities in Puget Sound for catching coho from the shore.

I thought the closing was terribly unfair to people who: prefer to fish from the beach; don't have or can't afford boats; vacationing families at the State Parks (Casey, So. Whidbey, Flagler etc.) spending a summer vacation, including the 4th of July, during a down economy fishing from the beach; and definitely those of us who catch and release while flyfishing.

If you would like to voice your opinion while letting the WDFW know how many people fish from the beaches of Area 9, email:

Pat Patillo at: PATTIPLP@dfw.wa.gov

Phil Anderson at: ANDERPMA@dfw.wa.gov

Tony Floor at: floortaf@dfw.wa.gov

Thanks,
Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2003, 11:32 AM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Leland,

My emails are on the way. What is the reasoning behind this??? Is it to protect bottom fish or salmon?

-sean
Old 04-03-2003, 12:04 PM

There was some heavy lobbying by boaters and special interest groups from Port Townsend and Port Angeles to open a previously closed chinook kill fishery in April under the guise of protecting a Dungeness run of chinook.

We were the victim of some heavy handed horse-trading.

Leland.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Emails on the way... I've left many footprints on those beaches myself in the 80's and early 90's. Another example of wholesale regulation without taking the time to consider the impacts to everybody IMHO.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
...Another example of wholesale regulation without taking the time to consider the impacts to everybody IMHO.
Yet another example of special interest groups with their head buried in their @$$e$, IMHO. I'm getting tired of reading and hearing about all of these groups taking matters into their own hands and deciding "what's best" for the species in question, as well as for those people having an impact, or being impacted by, the presence of the species, particularly when there's a hidden agenda driving the decision-making. Perhaps it's time for me to get out of the aquarium industry and use my education and experience to start slapping these groups upside the head.
Pardon my tone, but it's frustrating... recreational fishing accounted for over $116 BILLION during 2001 (the latest data available); do these idiots honestly believe that with all the money spent by recreational anglers, many of us who know the habits and life histories of the fish better than researchers, we would want this pastime to go away? Of course we don't; we want the fisheries to thrive. DUH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.