striped bass hearings - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Exclamation striped bass hearings

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/Ma...003_031103.pdf

Hey all,
It's been a little while since i've been around but figured you would want to know...

It's time for state striped bass hearings again. AS I just lost a rather lengthy post going into great detail, I will try to make this a little more to the point. After Amendment 6 got approved int eh fall, ASMFC approved various proposed changes to teh rec. and comm. regs for each state, and these meetings are to solicit public input as to whether the state of Mass should now implement what was approved by ASMFC. On teh table for the rec. regs is going to two fish a day with size limits somehwat up in the air. Possibilities include 2 at 28", 1 at 28" and one over 40", possibly 2 over 34", and possibly status quo.

There will be a ton of pressure to go to two fish since almost all other states fish at two (I know, great circular logic). If you have a strong opinion, I urge you to attend and be heard. When I have more time I will elucidate the details if necessary for those not familiar with "the system" of MA fishery management.........

Gotta run.

jeff
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2003, 12:10 PM

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

The last one I attended was 2 years ago and there was a ton of turnout. I plan on making it to the Braintree meeting in case anyone wants to meet up.

Roop
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the notice. I hope to attend the Annisquam hearing.

But first we should discuss the objectives:

- I have a very different opinion than the majority since I have kept only a few stripers in the last 20 years or more despite releasing countless lip-hooked legal fly-caught fish. My individual position would not be necessarily the right position to defend so it warrants discussion with more views so I can form a position on this matter with a broader scope of influence

- although they state the objectives of these hearings, they do not list the reasons for these proposals. Is it because we have too many fish and need to kill more? Is it because the commercial fishing industry is important enough to the general economy such that we should sacrifice more breeder fish on behalf of increased commerce in this niche industry? Who is the benefactor, and why is it wise to go in this direction as a whole?

- How do sportsmen feel about the doubling of the kill limits? Is this just a concession to rationalize the commercial interests?

- Who is pushing this agenda?

If my voice really mattered and I was put on the spot to provide an opinion here and now I would say (a) leave well enough alone or (b) reduce the kill even further because the successful sport fishery contributes far more $$ to the economy than an increased kill fishery. But once again, my personal views count for little - what does the general readership say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2003, 01:04 PM

I'm with "B" with the limit >32" at least
Old 04-04-2003, 04:33 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
My first reaction was a parity with the commercials, one @ 34 inches. However, published info suggests that there is an age class crisis in this fishery, i.e. breeders 12 plus years old are in short supply. Mass might consider setting an example for the other states and leave it status quo, one @ 28 inches.

Simms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.