new vise - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 04:06 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
Question new vise

i'm thinking about getting a new vise i have a decent one now but it is starting to crap out on me any recemondations
Max. price about $150

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 04:59 PM
JD

see if you can find a deal on

Dynaking Barracuda Jr. or Renzetti Traveler with cam operated jaws. PM me.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

I need some more information from you regarding what type of flies you are tying, whether you want rotary or not, the largest and smallest sizes you are tying, and how many flies you tie in a week or month to be able to give the best recommendation for you to get the most bang for your buck.

If you have been reading prior threads of vises you will find that I have a decided preference for the Dyna King Baracuda or the Renzetti Master or Renzetti P-4000 cam jaw vises. However, these are high end vises that sell for over $300.00, which is over the amount you said you have to spend. There are several fine vises that do not have all the features of the Dyna King Baracuda or Renzetti Master or P-4000 cam jaw that sell for $150.00 or less.

JDJones is right, if you can find a bargain on a used Baracuda Jr. or Renzetti Traveler cam jaw, you won't be sorry for buying it. However, they don't hit the market very often and are usually snapped up quickly by someone in the know.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Marine Scientist

Flytyer

Is the Renzetti "Cam Series Traveler" a true rotary vise? I, too, am looking for a new vise, specifically a rotary model to aid with dubbing and palmering. Typically, I tie around 30 flies a week, nearly all for saltwater, nothing smaller than a size 12, nothing larger than a 3/0. I can pick up a new Cam Series Traveler for $160, and figured it might be worth the $$$. My current vise is not rotary, which is the only reason I'm looking for another.

Last edited by flyfisha1; 04-02-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:18 AM
brookie! where?

i tie mostly drys and nymphs largest 4 smallest 24
i ahve looked at the new renzetti traveler cam action which i could get around $150

Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 AM
JD

True rotary

The Renzetti travler vise is a true rotary. The cam action jaws only change the way you clamp down and release the hook.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Pullin' Thread

flyfisha1,

As has been posted already, the Renzetti Traveler is a true rotary vise. For the flies that you are tying, nothing smaller than a #12, I would recommend the Renzetti Traveler Saltwater cam jaw because its jaw is larger and it holds the larger hooks better because of this. It is also one of the best values for the money in a true rotary vise.

Sean,

The Renzetti Traveler standard cam jaw would be the one you should look at because it has a smaller jaw than the Traveler Saltwater. It will serve you very well for many years tying the sizes you are tying. There are folks I know who have been using the Traveler as their main tying vise for 10 and 12 years with no problems of any sort.

The Renzetti vises all have the virtue of the offset jaw arm that provides more room when tailing a fly, and the offset arm also means that the hook stays parallel (horizontal) when you rotate it.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Marine Scientist

Flytyer, thanks for the confirmation on that vise; I'll pick one up at the local fly shop this weekend.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:02 PM
brookie! where?

for the renzetti traveler which would have a longer life and more versatility the cam action or the screw tighten?

Old 04-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

Hands down, the cam jaw version. NOt because it is more durable; but because it is far easier to use.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Marine Scientist

Still haven't had a chance to get out and pick up the new vise. Anyone have any experience with the BT's Dan Vise? Just thought I'd ask...
Old 05-02-2003, 01:08 PM

This got bashed around recently in http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...hlight=danvise
Old 05-02-2003, 01:11 PM

Renzetti traveller if you want rotary action. If you don't fish a lot of saltwater, chances are you won't use the true rotary feature much. Dyna-king makes, solid, simple vises for freshwater. I think mine is the level above the Squire and it's great for everything from size 26 midges to 2/0 saltwater streamers.

Wish I had a true-roatary for SW stuff sometimes but you get used to what you have.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Marine Scientist

Hi John,
Yes, I had been following that thread for sometime and completely forgot that the Dan Vise had been mentioned. At the moment I'm deciding between the Dan Vise, Griffin Odyssey, and Renzetti Traveler Cam. Realizing that the Dan Vise is composed mostly of Delrin, I wonder how that would hold up compared to the other two... I plan on having this vise for the rest of my tying days, and would hate to replace an $80 vise with another one every few years if I can just pay the $165 upfront and get the Renzetti. On the other hand, if the Dan Vise will last indefinitely when cared for properly, why buy something more expensive? One thing's for sure, I want a vise with a bobbin cradle this time, and I can't seem to locate a picture of this on the Dan Vise...
Old 05-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Marine Scientist

Dave,
Saltwater is what I fish most, and I do a fair amount of work with dubbing, which is why I'm specifically after a true rotary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.