Fly Fishing Forum banner

Environmentalists Attack on Bamboo Rods!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
Well, guys, it has finally happened. Citing numerous "conservation issues" from "panda food" to "denuding mountains in Southern China", a national environmental organization has initiated legal action to ban all uses of bamboo and government confiscation of all existing examples.

This has particularly been effective concerning split cane rods, where mainstream animal rights groups have joined in the movement. As their attorney argued, "Bamboo or cane is used in making utensils to abuse fish. It's unbearable to think that these plants must die to support an industry whose only goal is financial gain making instruments to torture fish."

In a court with in Northern California, they have succeeded in obtaining an injunction to prevent importation of bamboo, "cane", and bamboo products. This was granted in selecting a court with a particularly "environmentally friendly" judge.

This is being hailed as good news, under the banner, "End the slaughter of the plants and animals."

But what can we do to stop this movement? Well, it's easy. Get up right now, go to the nearest mirror, look in it, and say to yourself, in a loud tone, "April fool! April fool! April fool!"

(Please note - the idea for this, and much of the article is directly attributable to Al Campbell and his article, "An Attack on Cane Rods", April, 2002, on www.flyanglersonline.com

The concept was too good, as last year, it really brought my dander up when I read the original.)

BobK

See less See more
#3 ·
If a story like that were true it could just ruin a perfectly good summer of steelhead fishing. Good one Bob!

Moonlight,
I heard just today that the Panda Patrol has reached P. A. in the on going search to eliminate all fine cane rods. You can run but you can't hide forever. Wonder if you could throw a coat or two of Sage graphite brown paint on em?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.