Documentary: evolution of my crab pattern - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Marine Scientist

Documentary: evolution of my crab pattern

This pattern has been posted previously on Striblue's "Dick Brown Report" regarding the success of his crab apple in the Carribbean; just thought I'd give it a thread of its own.
Basic concept is a la Crab Apple x Eric's Standing Crab. Craft foam body, grizzly hackle for carapace coloration, marking pens for accent, badger-dyed hackles for legs and claws, dumbbell eye tied in on top of shank near eye, standard saltwater hook (sizes 1-4, 6 would require a larger gap hook than I presently have), 50-lb. melted mono eyes, fire-orange krystal flash for mouth, and a glass rattle tied in on top of the shank near the dumbbell. See pics below.
The concept is a crab that settles to the bottom and assumes the defensive posture by rearing up on it's back legs and "showing the predator the goods" by presenting it's formidable claws; This is accentuated by the noise created by the rattle, which in my estimation does a good job of mimicking the sounds made by snapping claws and moving legs. I have dubbed this the "Pi$$'d-Off Crab" as a result. I owe the ideas for the body and legs to the Crab Apple, the concept of "standing" to Eric's Standing Crab, although that crab uses mono bent into a 'V'-shape to cause the crab to "stand".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crab 1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1739  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Marine Scientist

Close up of the carapace...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crab 3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1740  
Old 03-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Marine Scientist

Frontal Shot, the "business end" of the crab...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crab 2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1741  
Old 03-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Marine Scientist

The "guts", showing the unfinished underside. For reference, this fly happens to be a size 2...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crab 4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1742  
Old 03-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Marine Scientist

... and finally, the coated belly; material used is white acrylic caulk, which tends to shrink as it cures. The initial application of this stuff was a bit sloppy, but as you can see, it shrunk and conformed to the materials used quite well. Perhaps the coating of rough surfaces will help soften the presentation of this fly to spooky fish. I'll be using this pattern for jacks and reds, so I don't think that I need worry about the noise created when it hits the water nearly as much as those chasing bones and permit.
This fly is tied on a size 4, for reference...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crab 5.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1743  
Old 03-30-2003, 08:01 AM
President of CAC

Looks like a real nice tying job and I think you captured the entire concept of the crab... I like the rattle idea as far as the snapping claws... another great concept at realism which is the way I like to go at these things..excellent! I will be anxious for your reports which I have no doubt will be sucessful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.