jurogaitors now available in stealth... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Cool jurogaitors now available in stealth...

Can't hold a candle to striblue's invisibles, but while stocking up for my 2003 season on the flats and found a new clear duct tape that I will be sportin' to reinforce the gaitors this spring at home depot. No longer will the drab silver be a causeway fashion concern

Seriously, I couldn't care less about the color but the use of duct tape has reduced the sand intrusion in my flats boots to negligible levels over the entire 2002 season and the availability of clear duct tape makes it all the less visible to approaching fish then I am all for it. I used black last year to match my gaitors, but would rather use a less contrasting color to show those big smart flats cows where my legs are.

Q: Why don't people make gaitors the same color as the waders for less contrast? Boots too for that matter? Pass the sand textured spray paint :hehe: Joey K texture paints his ladder, no kidding. I am sure it helps cut down the metallic glare.

Anyway I use it to either tape the top edges of my gussetted neoprene boots or when lots of walking requires arch support I tape the top edge of the wrap-arounds above the boot hightops to prevent slippage and ensure a better fit of the gaitor. Consequently I have not lost one wrap-around gaitor in 2002 either, including Nauset trips with pounding surf where I am frequently losing gaitors in years prior not to mention sand intrusion.

Now if they'd only make it double-width...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 11:12 PM
President of CAC

Juro....sounds like a great find and , as you know , as long as it looks good to your the winner.....clear duck tape may help me with my secret prototype this spring
Old 03-30-2003, 05:10 PM

ummmmm......how about using the clear duct tape to adhere mirrors on the wading boots...that way....the stripers will see only themselves and you will be truely invisible:hehe:
Old 03-30-2003, 07:12 PM
President of CAC

Paxton....please don't say more.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:01 AM

I found some inch wide tan colored velcro which I'm going to try. It has no adhesive on the back so it should work. We'll let you know if it works.
FishHawk.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:46 AM

John and I actually talked about a mirror cylinder to stand inside so that no fish could see your legs one day while walking off the water.

As a flats guide I would argue that if you didn't have a shot at the fish even while wearing hot pink booties you didn't have your polarized glasses on, but then again there are those fish that keep coming right at you and would offer an extra tight shot or a parting shot if they didn't freak out when they got too close and didn't like my ugly mug, or worse yet freak out the whole pod around you. This gets particularly difficult in late summer when the fish are so in tune with the flats they are extremely difficult to see until close, or when cloud cover occludes the angler's view of the fish's telltale shadow. In any case, being invisible is a very powerful thing on a flat for sure.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Recent Member

Juro,

Doesn't it hurt when you pull all that hair out by its roots every spring? Has your winter regrowth come in thicker each year?

Just checking to see if that old Texas cowboy comment "Grass is always thicker after grazing!" is true. But then again, the herd deposits fertilizer randomly across the prarie as they graze.

:hehe:
Old 03-31-2003, 08:20 AM

:hehe:

Yes, sight fishing can be a humbling pursuit. But being of steelheader upbringing, I love the challenge. I book a lot more trips in the more willing times of the season than I do in the tough times, and clients don't feel the same way - but given the choice I would rather fish to the most stubborn, most often hooked, 15-20 year old belligerent old cows on the planet. I like having 300-400 fish thumb their noses at me over several hours of hard pursuit... because eventually, when I am turning a corner or sweeping a ridge, I get this strange sensation and stop... the wave forms dance and from them emerges one unlike the others, out of cadence, and reveals an elongate shadow beneath it's invisible body. What appears to be a schoolie shadow is really a partially hidden profile of a 44" submarine, who cruises half wanting to leave the flat but held on it by an urge to find something to kill and eat. The arm has already cast the line before I can think, a reaction that is automatic, the mind is more focused on the fish. Suddenly the fish and fly align into a rendezvous path but the fish does not see the fly yet, luckily for me. It unknowingly approaches, and my mind registers a tiny glint of metal as my fly in the otherwise pastel beige world that is the striper's hunting ground. It's time to pull the trigger! Strip.... strip.strip... he sees it and with an involuntary act of violence no more premeditated than my own cast earlier it's massive jaws open and it crushes the fly like a flea in the teeth of a St.Bernard and with a thrust of it's tail, almost two hands wide, the backing knot rips through the guides so fast I note that I must check for damage once the battle is over.

She may be the only one I fool all day, but I remember her more than the 30 I landed during a good day amidst the waves of bass in the spring migration or huddling under dark clouds of bunker in October.

My trusty Rplxi and I will walk back to the Rip Ryder, and I will smile to Capt.Keith and say "it was a damn good day".
Old 03-31-2003, 01:28 PM

Geez thanks Juro for that description of cow hunting.....as if waiting wasn't bad enough already, now, after reading that, I'm going to have to make an appt. with my MD and be placed on some kind of meds to help me get through the next 4 weeks of waiting! :eyecrazy:
Old 03-31-2003, 03:38 PM
President of CAC

Juro.. Great description!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
My hands are shaking and my blood is racing with the flashbacks your description brought on. Alas, it's spitting an gray raw depression over the Kennebec and the cows are grazing distant waters. I'll have to visit the surf with an offering for the gods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.