Stillwater Tactics - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Stillwater Tactics

What are your favorite "tricks of the trade" when still water (lake & ponds) fishing for trout?
Most of the time, the lakes I fish are gin clear so stealth is the key. I use my pontoon boat to approach likely holding spots, even if I have to bring it along in the power boat. Long leaders (12 to 16 feet or more) with long tippets of fluoro seems to work best. Slow sinking nymphs and retrieves that make the bug swim lively also seems to get the best results.
What are your tricks?
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Unlike most hardcore trout regions we have more stillwater than stream in MA. I fish mostly in Thoreau's waters from a pontoon boat or canoe, the approach consists of three basic methods to match the basic trout guy that I am (not very much practice over the last several years).

In the early spring when they are on to the early stones and black gnats, I fish small dries on calm mornings for rising fish. Griffith's style, or the classic black gnat. I tie them a little differently though, half breed with a mosquito pattern.

Some days they are only after the emerging stage, in which case I go with a small black gnat emerger pattern with floating yarn strands for a wing and goop it up to keep it in the film.

Failing those two, a beadhead wooly bugger fished on a very long leader and retrieved slowly seems to do the trick around here.

One other method that my son and I had a blast with on Cape Cod kettle ponds is to retrieve a tan biot gold beadhead stone among the feeding trout on a floating line. Far from automatic but plenty of action to keep us both having a blast.

I don't think we get the same kind of trout you get out there Pete... looking at your pic! :eyecrazy:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2003, 05:46 AM

Pete,
I use a lot of midges.In the spring ,an emerger seems more effective.In the fall an adult usually does the trick. I will also fish with a 20 ft leader at times, so that I can cover a larger column of water. One killer fly that I will cast to rises is a '' Woodie" . # 12 wet fly hook , wooduck tail , peacock herl body , short wooduck wing (like a Zug Bug), and 1 1/2 turns of brown hen hackle to finish it off. This fly is cast to the rise ,and either stripped back or on a long leader let it sink ( up to two minutes) . Many fish will take the fly sinking. This is my go to fly on rising fish in ponds.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:45 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
streamers

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 03-31-2003, 05:21 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Juro,

Here in BC we are almost exclusively stillwater trout fishermen! The BC interior is world famous for its trout lakes. In fact late April becomes a diificult time for me - I don't quite know when to pull the pin on spring steelhead and head for the monster trout of places like Dragon Lake!

Here, the primary tactic involves chironomids, early season sees the fish shallow 3-10', then as spring progresses the depths will go up to 25-30'. I use floating lines and as much as 30' leaders. There comes a point later in the spring when mayflies make their appearance, but this is not a problem as we fish the nymphs the same way.

I could go into a lengthy description of my approach to fishing chironomids - but I do believe that Juro has an article I wrote on the subject a while ago. Pete, maybe you could prod him to find it and put it up on the sidebar???

Still Living Large!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Marine Scientist

Typically, I fish the weedlines and drop-offs with woolly buggers, streamers, and terrestrial patterns. I use smaller flies (size 16-12) early in the season, and go progressively larger as the season goes on. Some of my favorite patterns as the weather gets warmer are dragonfly nymphs and grasshoppers; d'fly nymphs (particularly in the morning, when they're more active) near any vegetation or structure (such as a dock, weedline, or partly-submerged tree) that projects above the water line, and hoppers (particularly in the warmer hours) near any shoreline vegetation that stops at the water's edge. This covers topwater and midwater action. If I don't get anything on either of those, I go to a WB or streamer.
Essentially, I start out using a 3-wt. early in the season and progress to heavier outfits as the size of the flies dictate... I've found it hard to fish a sz. 6 foam hopper in late Summer with a 3-wt.
I should mention, these patterns catch me more smallies than they do trout...

Last edited by flyfisha1; 03-31-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:28 PM
LBFF Mojo

I concur with Kush. It is hard to know when to hang up the steelhead fishing and get my butt out on the lakes in eastern washington.

I fish a lot of chronomids but the last few years I have been putting more of an effort into chasing fish with dries.

Early in the season patterns like a griffiths gnat or a raccoon have been good to me. I switch over to a quigley cripple as soon as the mayflies start showing up in May.

A tactic that worked well at times last year was to fish shallow water with a dry fly and a chronomid dropper. Slowly skating the fly on a hand twist retrieve created some tremendous strikes on both the dry and the dropper.

OK you got me going. Time to start tying some trout flies again...

-sean
Old 03-31-2003, 08:17 PM

My annual Chironomid Pilgrimage to the Kamloops area is just a long cast away. Most likely in the second week of May. The difficult decision for me is Bow River spring trout Vs. BC Chironomid, just as tough a choice as Steelies Vs. Gerard's.

Kush, I've never used leaders in the 30' range but have seen them used often. 20 feet is about as long as I go, and I have had very good results in waters up to 30 feet deep, I do attach a small BB to the leader to help the smaller flies get down. It's my understanding that most (90%?) of the Chiro's live in water bottoms not deeper than 15/20 feet. Do you have any information about this point?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:10 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Pete,

Chironomids are known to live in depths in excess of 60'. As a general rule the chironomids come out of progressively deeper water as the season proceeds. When I go to my favourite Cariboo lake in early July, my leaders will be set at 20' to start, normally by the time the 2 weeks are up I am fishing 25 -30' of water with leaders normally 5' longer than the depth of the water.

If the fish are shallower, I will fish shorter obviously, when I'm at the same lake in late May, I will fish leaders from 12 - 15' as that is where the fish are.

In some years I've stayed later, and the only place you will get fish is deep. I have seen fish taking chironomids in 50' of water - so deep I could not set my anchors. Though I did manage to get a few by mooching a chironomid on a full sinking line as vertically as I could manage on a slow wind drift.

There is a trick to effectively fishing 25-30' of water, it is do not use a tapered leader ... yes, straight 5lb flourocarbon! Sure, it doesn't turn the fly over, but think about it, a 30' tapered leader isn't going to turn over that well anyway. The puddle of line that happens is actually an advantage. I always use weighted flies, but the thick diameter of a tapered leader really buoys the mono and the sink took forever. With the level leader, the fly sinks with little resistance, in fact I don't need as much leader length to get to the bottom as I used to - and I'm there in less than 1/2 the time! More fishing time=more fish.

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 04-01-2003 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Recent Member

i use primarily floating lines with a prince variation cast to rises or let them sink to the bottom of the sink with the floating line. most hits come at the bottom or on the way down. i then slowly "troll" it along shelves and the weedbeds. try using a "marabou bugger". bead heaed with marabou tail and wound marabou body. wire to secure it. no hackle. works great in black olive and yellow.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Flats Rat

I've not done any stillwater tout fishing this side of the pond. Back in the UK my favorite technique was trad. loch style from drifting boats most of the time. There was a fairly predictable seasonal pattern on many of the put-and-take stocked reservoirs. Chironomids (we called 'em buzzers) were important year round. Caddis (sedge)would make an appearance during the warmer months and towards fall, the lunkers would start to focus in on baitfish fry. In the summer doldrums, deepwater technique involved a very fast sinking line and a team of three chironomid pupae on a shorter leader - say 6 - 8 ft. A long cast is made down-drift and to the side. The retrieve commences as the boat drifts past the flies position - by this time they're sunk pretty deep. Then the retrieve is made in a series of rapid strips and pauses - six strips pause, strip strip pause - strip - BANG Sometimes the strike would come right at the surface as the flies were being lifted of to re-cast. From shore, dries could be deadly if you could be patient enough. A weighted caddis larva on a long leader (20') inched across the bottom was also a great springtime killer.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Recent Member

In Maine, we have a lot of mayflies and caddisflies that hatch in lakes of all sizes, from 1 acre remote ponds to 7 mile long lakes. In May and June I fish a lot of Hendrickson dries with an emerger dropper. In July it is hexagenia and green drake time, plus caddis. Later on, I go to a clear intermediate sinking line and either nymphs or buggers (which probably imitate leeches in these waters). I don't like messing with long leaders, so I use the clear line and a short (maybe 6 ft) level leader. I've not had any problems fishing dries with 9 to 12 ft leaders, but this year I bought a clear floating line (I liked the clear intermediate). We'll see if it ups my catch (or at least strike) rate.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Flats Rat

I'm really interested - do the hatches on lakes over here produce prolific rises and surface activity? A nice breezy day and a good rise would make for a great day of trad. loch style drifting - although I don't think the kayak will drift quite as sweet as an 18ft clinker-built wooden craft but it would be fun
Old 04-13-2003, 09:23 AM

Since Adrian mentioned windy days I pitch in that I look for foam lines in the surface. These tend to hold the fish's attention better for some reason. Maybe it holds the hatch better. You can often see fish through the sides of a good wave holding waiting for emerging insects.

Also I'll often use 3 or 4 flies with a floating fly on the point. This allows me to fish suspended twitching flies just under the surface.

Attaching a floating fly to the point and using a full sinking line lets me effectively fish the top of weed beds on the bottom of a lake. If the weed structure is say 3 feet tall, I'll have maybe 8 feet from my sinking line to my first fly. This allows files to sink when pulled, then they slowly emerge out of the weed bed. Deadly.....

When fishing "pulled" flies like wooly buggers or streamers, I try to keep the flies "at least" 5 feet apart while fishing more than one fly. I have found quite more frequent takes when the flies are at a distance.

I liked Kush's comments on chironomids. I'd like to see what he wrote if we can find the previous post/article.

The tips for still water fishing are probaly more prolific than are the ones for stream fishing. this could be a lonnng thread.

John
Old 04-13-2003, 09:54 AM

Foam lines and fish....

Here on Lake Ontario, the Charter Captains have long ago discovered that foam lines on the lake are fish magnets for all species of salmonids. Apparently, they are created by a combination of water temps and wind (from the water being displaced), and really draw all sorts of insects, algae, consequently small bait fish, and then larger predatory trout and salmon. And, they are good hotspots all year!, But moreso during warm weather, when temp is a bigger factor.

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.