has anybody used bottom line's sidefinder fish finder? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Recent Member

has anybody used bottom line's sidefinder fish finder?

i need advise about the sidefinder fishfinder for use on my southfork pontoon boat. anybody have ideas or suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up

I have used one of these for Trout fishing on Lochs and Lakes in Scotland and England for the past few years and think they're great.

The ability to detect fish in front of the boat in addition to those beneath is a tremendous assest. The one I have is the old model Fishing Buddy 2 and if I can answer any of your questions I will.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Recent Member

hey

hi scots..

does the fishfinder locate fish well. i fish shallow to deep lakes. they vary greatly. im most interested in shallower water ability. does the batteries last well and what type do you use. what type of mount do you use for it?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:53 AM

Hi Mountaintrout

It locates fish very well but works best in water 8+ feet deep although it will pick up fish shallower than that. Obviously in deeper water the beam will be larger.

It takes 4 of the C type batteries and these last extemely well eg 20 trips of 6-8 hours.

I bought the mount sold by the company and it goes on the end of my aluminium boat seat. Most users here put it on the side of the boat. I 've attached a picture which just shows it.

Come back to me if you need anything else.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Flybob
Mountaintrout,
I acquired an older model sidefinder years ago, mine only uses 3 C cells, and have found it helpful while cruising lakes and reservoirs in the part of Oregon I fish.
It can also lead to some frustration, in that the fish you are seeing are not biting, or are up 160 feet in front of you.
The model I own will delineate between small (all) and larger fish, too.
Battery life in extreme cold is limited, but Using alkaline batteries and warm weather should give around 20-25 hours of service.
I picked up a mount by Mountain Cork which straps around the tube or pontoon and holds the Fishin' Buddy very securely. I also have the hard plastic mount/clamp that is more suited to hard boats.
Best of luck in your decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.