keeling - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 AM
CantAnchorUs

keeling

I took a couple of silliskins out for a swim on Sat. and noticed that they were heeling over on thier sides every time I stripped them. Could this be a problem with keeling? Maybe a bigger hook to get more wt. on the bottom? It`s only noticable on the slabsided stuff. The body looks to be perfectly lined up. What to do, never had this problem before. Took them for a swim because I had a gnawing feeling they might float. glad to say they sink slowly and will have no problem getting down with even a int. line. Bay water is still fridgid but they`re having double digit evenings at the power plant on small jigs.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Flats Rat

Steve

If most of the material lies below the hookshank then it may be a slight alignment problem - the silli skin is relatively firm and could be acting like a vane rather than a keel. Getting some weight under the hook shank should do the trick.

I ran into a keeling problem last season when using Varivas hooks for the first time. I didn't realise how heavy they were relative to the usual Gamies etc. and the dumbell eyes I used were'nt heavy enough to hold the fly inverted on the retrieve.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:13 AM

I'm assuming you did a Flatside 3:
becareful how much you trim off the bottom. I noticed the RMurphy leaves more than I expected to, specifically to act as a keel thus keeping the fly tracking properly.

I know some of my earlier flies will have to be re-done as a result of my eager scissor fingers...o.k., one more snip and it's perfect, no - one more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.