My poor arms! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2003, 08:35 AM

Thumbs up My poor arms!

Put the boat in yesterday at Peekskill launch. Headed south to the staging grounds. Dodged floating picnic tables, telephone poles, rail road ties and Icebergs the size of Cadillacs. The Hudson is very high for this time of year due to run off and its washing all the rip rap down river. Ok now for the part you don't want to hear.

Fished all morning with 25mp wind and 3ft waves only to get 3 fish between 9am and 1:30pm. Around 2pm the wind laid down and the action picked up. Most guys were fishing the bays and estuaries in hopes that the water temps would rise quicker in the shallows and turn them on. The water temp hovered between 34 and 37.

Being somewhat in the "know" about where the fish go when they are not schooling in the bays I headed away from the 20+ boats to a " Lane " that the fish move through when traveling. Well all I will say is me and my friend Frank made the right decision. Upon arival we where greeted by a large Bald Eagle sitting on a dead tree branch. Absolutely beatiful creature. We snapped a few pictures and turned the sonar on. Within seconds we had school after school coming by us. We tested the waters with spin gear at first to see if they were feeding. There were so many fish at one point our Wildeye jigs were bumping into them. No sooner did we get the lines wet we doubled up to two hogs. One was well into the high teens and mine was slightly smaller ( around 14lbs ). After hooking 15-20 fish on spin gear I switched to the Long Rod with a 250grn and a clouser. WHAM!! I was in almost as soon as the fly hit the water. We proceeded to hook about another 8-12 fish a piece on the fly before calling it a day. I have some pictures but need to scan them first before I post. Will have them soon for you non believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Oh the pain! Can't bear to read about it any more... :eyecrazy:

Seriously - thanks for the report it keeps me hopin'
Old 03-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Flats Rat

Mike

Jim Wesley and I ventured out at Croton Point yesterday in the Yaks. Jim managed to get into fish late on - I decided to paddle across to Ossining where all the boats were drifting - but it was all over by the time I got there.

The word back at the ramp was - "you should have been here yesterday and Friday" - the boats had sporadic action compared to the previous two days.

Good to hear you scored again. Another week of 50+ temperatures can only help.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Yak?

Do you have a Red Yak? I was fishing near a guy with a fly rod in a Red Yak.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:31 AM

PM

Send me a PM and I will tell you where to go when the bays are empty and the action is slow.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:25 AM

To think I used to water ski up there 30 years ago and wondered how the striper fishing was in that part of the Hudson.

PM Out
Old 03-24-2003, 11:38 AM

Can be good

Oh it can be better than good. There are days you go home half a day because your thumbs are bloody and raw!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:07 PM

Mike,
Yak you saw might have been me if you were there for the pm drop, it's red/orange. Wind dropped down a notch so wasn't quite so much work staying over the fish. If you could do that you couldn't miss, I left them biting. I'm still a novice fly fishing and this was really the first good day I've had with it. Thanks for all the info you provided.

Jim
Old 03-24-2003, 03:11 PM

White

Did you see a White Maritime Skiff Center Console with a split windshield ? I believe I drifted pass you a few times. You were wearing a cowboy hat or some sort of hat with a brim? Where you out in front of a Sail boat off Tellers Point?
Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 PM

Had to be me. I was just off Tellers on the drop until abt 4:30. No other yaks there, just me in a maroon cap, Adrian had just slipped around the point. What you mistakenly thought was a big hat brim on my head was probably my fly line. I remember your boat, it stood out from the rest of the fleet. Very nice boat.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:48 AM

Lightbulb

The interesting bit of information is that the stripers were hitting when the water temp was in the high 30's. As a rule of thumb the migrants start to show up when the temps hit the low 50's in Mass . waters.
FishHawk
Old 03-25-2003, 08:42 AM

Migrants

These fish stage up to spawn in the Hudson. I'm not sure what temp triggers the spawn but I believe its around the 50 degree mark..maybe a little cooler than that. The spring and its run off gives the river a push of cold freshwater that triggers the instinct to head up river to the spawning grounds.

Its been a long very cold winter and most of the river has been frozen over since Dec. I'm positive that the fish have been in the river since January awaiting the thaw so they can do their thing. I would think since the river has maintained a 33 degree water temp for months that when it moves up even a few degrees it triggers a feed. These fish dont feed like they do in the Salt mind you. These fish only eat before they move. They eat so they have the strength to make it up river another 50-70 miles. No blitzes on the surface no big swirls and slurps you wouldnt know that they are even there if people didnt fish for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.