Jersey - Barnegat Bay - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2003, 08:30 PM

Jersey - Barnegat Bay

My brother in NJ got a new fishing boat.

Has it in Brick Town with access out to Barnegat Bay. Says he will be going out far to the good fishing grounds off the coast.

See picture attached.

I can see it is time for a south jersey trip to see the family in 2003.

Maybe some albies, stripers, or blues on the fly off of it.

Heck you can chum those fish into casting range unlike the GLs steelhead and salmon. Sounds like easy pickings to me compared to the fishing challenges out here.

Plus you don't need waders and can use those big flies like I see all over the salt water archives, and drink a spirit while fishing.

Have to think seriously about this.

PM Out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pursuit1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1728  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Marine Scientist

Looks like a nice boat; glad it's not too small, Barnegat can be downright treacherous! I've been out of Barnegat Light several times, and have been told that, overall, it's the roughest sea port (in terms of wave action) on the entire Eastern seaboard; I believe it! I hope to get up to Great Bay in June for a week of chasing blues and weakies.
Incidentally, my brother-in-law's girlfriend lives in Brick.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Actually I would like him to drop me off in a skiff in the bay or at IBSP so I can wade some flats with the fly rod. Going 30 miles out to the Mud Hole, wrecks, and other hot fishing spots in the AO may not be what my stomach wants to do.

I remember the last trip out there with my child hood buddies 20n years ago getting caught in a storm coming back into Belmar. We were riding 15-20 foot waves all the way in a 27 foot Owens cabin cruiser. I can still remember going though the Belmar channel and the rock jetties to this day. We did not know if we were going to make it.

Quite sea sick after that fishing trip we were.

PM Out
Old 03-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
...Going 30 miles out to the Mud Hole, wrecks, and other hot fishing spots in the AO may not be what my stomach wants to do.
...Quite sea sick after that fishing trip we were.

PM Out
Exactly. The last time I went out of Barnegat nearly everyone was "chumming"; we were in 15-20's, also. I much prefer to stay inside the bays and inlets when I'm up there, saving the offshore stuff for Florida where the water is typically much more calm (at least, it is in my experience).
Old 03-25-2003, 02:51 PM

I will check with my brother I am sure for what he paid for that cruiser, he will be out fishing in the bay or ocean. That is of course after he gets over the huge gas bill to run that think. He works for Exxon research in NJ so maybe he gets a discount ?

I think he told me last month it was a couple of $100 to fill the tank.

PM Out
Old 03-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Marine Scientist

Is that a couple of hundred at the gas station, or at the marina fill pump? Makes a big difference! Our flats boat takes 42 gallons, small enough to tow down to the gas station and fill for around $60.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:56 PM

Marina pump, he is not towing that boat around it is either a 27 or 30 footer. Got to get back there this year the more I think about it. May need some hints on where to go in the bay been gone since 1979 except for short trips back every few years.

PM Out
Old 03-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Marine Scientist

I'll get on the phone with my father-in-law; he lives on a canal on Osbourne Island near Tuckerton, and fishes Great Bay every day during the warmer months for stripers, blues, weakies, and flounder. I know we've set up and done a few drifts on the bayside near "the stinkhouse" and had some pretty good success with blues and weakies.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:36 PM

Yes I know the area you are talking about, but never really fished it when I lived in NJ. To busy chasing NY trout, flying around the world, and chasing ladies, if you know what I mean.

PM Out
Old 03-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Recent Member

The boat looks good except all the odd stuff to catch a fly on. If youre going to fish the I.B.S.P. area let me know when and I'll be glad to show you around. I live in my van on the beach 3 to 4 days a week there during the season.
N.J.B.B.A #2215
sandflyx/bob
Old 03-26-2003, 06:27 PM

Cool, I fly fished the IBSP surf in 1981, was the only fly fisher there and boy did I get strange looks from the surf rod crowd. Been gone from NJ since 1979 but get back every few years to see family and always get to IBSP. Still holding well as a wilderness refuge !

My brother is a gear fisher but what the heck he has a nice expensive boat. I will figure out how to fly fish from that bow I think when I get out there.

PM Out
Old 04-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Recent Member

Smile Barnegat

Barnegat has been my home waters since I started fishing. The back side of IBSP has incredible fishing and is so beautiful you forget you are in NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.