At last I'm gonna get there!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 06:15 AM

Smile At last I'm gonna get there!!!

Some of you may remember a good while back that I had hoped to visit Rhode Island etc during my vacation in Delaware. I've been over twice but never had the chance to drive up. However, that's about to change.

I'm flying over at the start of September and will be in RI, CT and surrounding area from about the 4th to the 9th. While my wife and I will be doing the tourist thing I will be bringing the fly rod and hope to fish a couple of times during my short visit.

The purpose of this message is to ask if it's a good time to fish there, where would you suggest I go and what flies & tactics should I use?

I'll be bringing chest waders, line tray & the various flies I've used for the Blues and Flounder in Delaware but any help and info would be really welcome.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Fly chucker

September is a great time to be fishing that area....stripers, blues, bonito, albacore, weakfish, hickory shad....they're all available and accessible to the shorebound angler.

CT- Mouths of major river systems (Housatonic, CT, Thames). Be aware that public access to many beaches is tough in this state.

RI- South County and all of its breachways, beaches, and salt ponds.....I have had good experiences from Napatree to the Charlestown Breachway, but haven't been farther up the coast than that. That should change this year.

The techniques you use in the salt in your location should work fine up here. If you'd like more specifics, feel free to PM me or ask for more detail in the Striper board here at the Forum.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Hi ScotPhil, Glad you finally can figure away to get over here. The fish in September will be around in the southern part of RI, and quite a few places that are accessible. The False Albacore, is my favorite. I will be very happy to show you around, and you won't need to buy much equipment, I do have a few rods, line and flies, and I am sure some of the "good guys" on the board here will see that you get a couple of their favorites. Seeing you are going to want to tour, the State of RI has an excellent new website you might want to explore. http://www.visitRhodeIsland.com. Just let me know of what service I can do for you.
Regards,ArtB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2003, 07:32 AM

Thumbs up

Dble Haul

Thanks for your response, it looks like I may have picked a good time to make my first trip to New England. I'll keep on the forum from now until September and maybe get a feel for what's happening and where.

artb

Thanks for your generous offer. You can't beat local knowledge and I'd be delighted if you'd find the time to show me around. I'll hopefully not have to buy any equipment. Perhaps I should have added in my original post that I'll bring an 8/9wt rod, a saltwater Intermediate, a DI7 shooting head and a DI8 for deep water or tideraces/rips.

As far as flies are concerned, it'd be great if you could give me an idea of local patterns or perhaps post pictures of them as this would let me tie some up over the summer.

Regards
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Phil -

Hope we can hook up.

I'd plan on having bunker flies (modeled after Page's bigeye baitfish for instance), silversides (surf candies, seafoam colored clousers) and sand eel flies as a staple with some of these tied smaller and suggesting golden tones with silver streak (anchovy) in case the hardtails are cruising by.

Throw some poppers in the mix and some large profile dark flies for night escapes and you should be good to go.

These gamefish are going to be on the bait that is available, and the primary pre-winter fatten-up food is the baby bunker. Having a good bunker pattern is probably all you really need except for flats work / silverside chasing small tuna species, and popper / crease flies for surface disruption etc.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:35 AM

To all,

The last time Phil posted on this board he was inquiring into flies to tie for his trip. After several emails I sent him some material and received as his thanks dozens of his trout and salmon flies.
Some of you ahve seen them and have taken some for your collections.

Phil,

Stay in touch as you get close to your arrival date, I would be more than happy to take you out and see how much damage we can do with the new boat. Maybe we should bring Juro along for "expert " advice.

Roop
Old 03-25-2003, 07:49 AM

Consider my arm twisted fully! Need to warn you I haven't taken the "expert" exam just yet, although I passed the "zealot" and "fanatic" exam with flying colors even though I refused to shave my head.

Consider it a date, in fact I CAN NOT WAIT! :eyecrazy:
Old 03-26-2003, 08:11 AM

Roop

Nice to hear from you again. I'd almost given up on hoping that I'd make it to RI etc, but there you go it's less than 6 months away. I'll bring some more trout flies with me for you and anyone else who's interested. As far as the offer going out on your new boat is concerned...........oh yes please. I'll keep in touch as September approaches and I'm looking forward to catching a knew species or two. So far on two trips I've managed to catch 9 or 10 different species in Delaware but only 2 on fly!!!

Juro

I'm looking forward to meeting you and tapping into anyone who's passed the 'zealot' & ''fanatic' exams.

Regards
Old 03-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Flats Rat

Phil

No shortage of zealots and fanatics here!

If you make it down to our end of Connecticut you can "double dip" saltwater flyfishing for fall-run bass and blues in the Housatonic estuary and enjoy hot trout fishing upstream in some really spectacular scenery - all in the same day if you have the energy!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:39 AM

Smile

Roop/Juro

It's now only 5 weeks on Wednesday until I leave for the US. Is the offer of a day chasing fish with the fly still open? If it's possible could we make it Saturday September 6. She who must be obeyed say's I can have the whole day chasing around after Stripers.

Regards
Old 07-28-2003, 08:59 AM

Phil -

As it turns out I will be in Denver CO that day at the flyfishing retailer show with our sponsor CND rods.

Seeing as you are in Rhody, you can't beat Art's tour of the south county beaches. In fact he has access and inside info that few on the beach have. That time of year many from the forum will be frequenting the south county beaches and I am sure you will have plenty of local chaperones to show you Napatree, Quonny, Charlestown, East Beach, Ninigret, etc.

Great area, great timing - you should have a blast!

Art -

How about I send a few flies to you for Phil?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 AM

Juro

Thanks for getting back so quickly, I hope you have a successful show. Thanks also for the offer of flies I'm sure with Art's guidance I'll put them to good use.

Art

Will you be around on September 6 and be able to put up with an inquisitve Scot?
Old 08-10-2003, 07:24 AM

It now looks like we're going to be staying in or close to Chatham on Friday/Saturday/Sunday 4-6 September. If I've read the signs properly this may be a good base from which to fish on the Saturday!!!

I haven't heard anything yet from Roop or Art and would be really grateful if someone could give me an idea of where to head for and perhaps meet up with me on that day.

Also could someone recommend a guest house, hotel, motel etc in the Chatham area.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.