Fly Pattern Database - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2000, 08:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fly Pattern Database

We need a fly pattern database. I am thinking it is a Chronicles thing, timeless archive and all that.

What would the layout per fly look like to best suit you?

Suggestion:

Name of fly
Class of fly (trout, steelhead, salmon, striper, sailfish, etc)
Originator/History if known
Tyer
Image(s)
Recipe
Special Notes

We'd have to be able to search the database.
It would build up over time and be a useful index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2000, 09:23 AM

RE:Fly Pattern Database

My only concern is that a pattern database (like the gear review) is done in many other sites, so we must be careful to present it in a unique way, or better than the others, or think of other unique subjects to include. Also, must we absolutely group these topics under the 7 main sunjects on the index or could these change (i.e. have additions to them). I'm just worried that some topics will be lost (hidden) under the pile if the main index subjects are not appropriate. Thinkin... thinking.
Old 01-21-2000, 09:41 AM

Luis -

No worries, these reviews and databases will NOT be buried in FlyTalk (although they will be totally accessible). As I stated in my original emails, they are topics in Chronicles or Public Market.

I don't archive and remove Chronicles, I will mantain FlyTalk as needed. Patterns do not get wiped and archived so belong in Chronicles (only a click away).

All of the other pages will have interactive methods applied, it's just that these things take time and resources. You want to review products in the same page where people are selling or buying them, in fact it helps to put reviews right on the ads provided certain rules are followed... like membership to prevent people spamming, etc.

As far as the other note, if people don't review an item it means no one has one, or no one knows if it's good or bad yet (probably too new). No need to pull it though, eventually someone would have something to say.
Old 01-21-2000, 11:14 AM

Juro:
I understand that it wouldn't be in "Flytalk" but rather in "Chronicles" My concern is that Chronicles as a title, might not be conducive to people thinking "oh yeah, that's where the pattern database is". In other words the main category titles must be well thought out and all encompassing, and every piece must fit nicely in its own pigeon hole... like thoughts in our brain's memory cells.
Can you tell I need to go fishing?
Old 01-22-2000, 07:07 AM

Good feedback, let's consider this an important issue. I will play with diversifying Chronicles first, then if it doesn't make sense when we can see and touch it then I will do the rework which affects the main menus and layout.

To your point, what's important is if it makes sense or not!

Viva la forum.

Juro
Old 01-23-2000, 11:04 PM

As you may have noticed, the fly pattern database is organized as threads in each category. This will allow us to sort them in an intelligent manner.

I am thinking about restoring the other bulletin board we tested in alpha testing a couple of weeks ago for general chat, and reserving this one for those items we post which should persist through time like archived journals.

What we archive now could become the references for our next generation of young flyfishers, or perhaps our own children.

Let me know what you guys think.

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.