Hey guys, introducing myself - Fly Fishing Forum
Inflatable Watercraft Rafts, pontoon boats, kickboats, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2003, 12:59 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Hey guys, introducing myself

Well, as you can see, I'm the new mod on the inflatables area. Don't worry, I'm not a post nazi (at least not yet :hehe: ). Well, I thought I'd give you a bit more detail on my inflatable experiences (and over all boating). Been running boats since I was very young. My Dad taught me to use a pram quite young (around 7, but was playing with oars in it at 3, may post some pictures of me on Kalama back in 73'). Ran my first driftboat at around 12. I just had the need to be on the sticks. Started whitewatering around same time I running DB's. Those were the old rubber bucket boats (ughhhhhhhhh). Then, I saw the light. A friend we whitewatered with had something he called a cataraft. I was about 14-15. He let me oar it. HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!! It was a custom boat, never saw one before. I was hooked, I stayed as FAR from the rafts as possible. I bought my first cat around 89' from a whitewater guide friend of mine (still have that old 16' Aire Ocelot). Years have really flown. I've owned many different boats over the years. Driftboats, lower end pontoon boats made to fish out of. Now, I only expect the best from my boats. I take inflatables seriously, and they are my life. I'm in process of having a custom set of cataraft tubes built for my fishing frame. Will also be buying a couple more fishing catarafts within the next year.

Well, look forward to jazzing this place up. I haven't rowed them all, but am pretty good about spotting what is BEST for the person's NEEDS! Not every boat is perfect for everyone.

So, let's have some fun and keep it clean (yeah, lots of white water pushing our inflatables all over the place )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Recent Member

Smile What do you think?

Steelheader69,

I sent this as an email to you but if you prefer you can answer here.

I remember you saying that you were at the Sportsman's show in the Skookum boat booth. How did that go?

Also, what did you think of the Bad Cat boats? Did you have a chance to see them? I am especially interested in the 2 person boat.

How did the conversation go with the Bad Cat guy in the booth? I know you don't have a very good impression of him -- I hope it went well.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:29 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL

Yes, I did work at the booth. I was a live referral at the booth. Was nice talking with people. Alot wanted true info on the boats, and what they could handle. I brought pictures with my old Steelheader running a class 3/4. Was fun, a real kick in the pants. I only wish I got a commission.

Yeah, I won't go into anything on here. But he wasn't selling his boats at the show. I went around the whole booth, but he wasn't there. I only saw the one's at Ted's. That was it. Never saw the 2 man boat. But as I explained in the email, I have my reasons. As I was always told, what comes around goes around.

Thanks, I hope some of my insight helped. Best thing to ever do is to check out all your options first before you decide. My opinion is simply that, my opinion. But I've based mine off of years running these boats (well before they were sold on the market in the fishing arena). But, best thing I can tell ANYONE is to check out all your options before you decide. Luckily for myself, I've owned numerous Outcasts, then have run buck's, leighs (are they even still in business???), then tons of whitewater grade boats (maravia, sotar, wing, aire). So, have a well rounded basis for my judgements. I haven't only run a steelheader and based off that basis. It's well rounded.

Good luck. Tell me what you get for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.