Question... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 10:30 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

Question...

In February I caught and released a 38" striped bass and removed a tag from it. Apparently this fish was tagged by an enviromental group located in New Jersey called the Littoral(sp?) Society. I was curious if any of you have heard of or belong to this group. Being from Maryland I have never heard of this particular group.

Best of luck for the upcoming season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 10:40 AM

Thinking

I never heard of it. Although there is this shady character that I run into every once in a while from NJ who tags fish that he catches. He doesnt do a pretty job which led me to a slight war of words with him. My question is can any yahoo tag fish? Dont you need to be licensed by the state to engage in any tagging or surveying of wildlife?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 AM

ALS
Old 03-18-2003, 11:28 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

funny you should mention that...

I felt that the "tag job" on this particular fish was poor. It was the type of tag that was threaded through the fishes tail and the ends of the tag were tied in a knot. The tag had a tremendous growth of algae and a number of small bivalves attached which resulted in an unsightly appearance. The fish itself was very healthy and looked good despite the eight inch trail of algae that had adhered to the tag. I have handled a number of tagged fish: cobia, spadefish, tau-tog, rockfish(ya'll call em stripers), and brown trout. This was the first time I had ever seen a tag of this type. I believe that the normal tag of choice is called a spaghetti tag. From the tagged fish that I have handled and observed the spaghetti tag seems to be superior in every way to this other more obtrusive type of tag...But what do I know!

Last edited by fishboyicu812; 03-18-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Question...

As a new member of the Littoral Society, I am very disturbed by this information. I will look in to it and inform you of what I find out.

Regards,

-Doc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.