Clear line questions - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Marine Scientist

Clear line questions

Hi All,
I'm looking for a new line for my 3-wt. this year, and am toying around with a clear floating line, specifically the Monic All-Weather Clear line. I tend to fish dry terrestrial patterns (such as flying ants) most of the time, and fish both upstream and downstream, making casts in the realm of 30-70 feet, depending upon my proximity to the rising fish. I should also note that most of these fish wind up to be sunfish, not trout (which are a tad elusive around this area).

Two questions:
1. Has anyone used this fly line, and if so, how clear is it and what are your thoughts on it?
2. Leader length: is it as important? I was thinking that a 9' (or even shorter) leader with a clear floating line might be safe compared to an opaque floating line and longer leader.

I certainly hope that I don't step on anyone's toes by making an inquiry into trout fishing with clear lines; I realize that some people would view that as sacrilege, but with all of the rain and nasty weather we've been getting, I'm spending more time looking at tackle than I should! Wishful thinking! TIA for any advice offerred...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2003, 03:28 PM

Chris,

I'm just curious why you're looking for a clear line to cast to sunfish? I fish some pretty heavily pressured waters for midging trout here and have never had a problem with a regular yellow floater.

Most fish spook because of the disturbance made by the line hitting the water - clear or otherwise. Leader length will remain the same. 9-10ft for about 99% of my fishing with a dry line.

I can see the application for a clear subsurface line if you're casting to crusing schools of fish, but a high-viz floater is actually an advantage for most FW uses. You can see the drag in your drift, use it as a strike indicator, etc. I currently have a "stealth gray" line on my 4wt and when it dies I will go back to a more visible color.

Of course if you simply want to try the Monic, by all means give it a shot and let us know how you like it.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Marine Scientist

Just wanted a change of pace from the norm; I, too, have the stealth gray line on my 5 wt. (SA XPS line). The main reason that I was considering the clear line is that, often times, I find that I line fish I didn't know were there... until they rise a few minutes after I've made the cast. I figure that a clear line will at the least minimize the impact that lining the fish would have; even though they can probably see the clear line or some aspect of it (i.e. drag, shadow, etc.), they're much less likely to spook than if a bright line was to drift over head. This is, of course, assuming that they have learned the lessons of chasing a tasty morsel located somewhere near a long, bright, skinny thing drifting along with the current.
I actually don't rely on the line as a strike indicator, but rather watch the fly on the water. I have yet to learn the art of nymph fishing and so don't know how much of a factor line visibility plays when fishing in that manner.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisha1
This is, of course, assuming that they have learned the lessons of chasing a tasty morsel located somewhere near a long, bright, skinny thing drifting along with the current.[/B]
Never underestimate the stupidity of a Sunfish! I hooked one on a 2/0 banger bass fishing last summer. How the thing managed to get the point in it's mouth is still a mystery to me....
Old 03-22-2003, 07:39 PM

From way back in the archives look at http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...&threadid=1775
I haven't tried one myself preferring a longer leader.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Marine Scientist

John - Thanks, I had seen that thread. Bob D said the line seemed a bit heavy for slower action rods, however my 3-wt. is very fast action, being built around an 8'6" SCIV blank. That being the case, I think the rod could easily handle the line. Because I don't use the line as a strike indicator, and rarely have to mend line, I don't think that the fact that the line is clear would have any negative impact on my presentation. Still, I haven't made up my mind yet, I may decide to stick with a high-vis line again this year. I did fairly well last year with a bright line; perhaps if I excercise a little more patience on the water to observe all of the fish rising in a stretch before I step in, I'll increase my catch.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:41 PM

I remembered Bobs report for his statement that he kept track of the line by watching the shadow on the bottom of the stream. If its throwing a shadow it is blocking the sunlight, and a fish could see the line. Just something that stuck in my memory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.