Hudson River Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 12:08 PM

Hudson River Report

I just recieved the fishing report from my uncle who managed to get out yesterday for a while. STRIPERS & more STRIPERS. He fished from 8am to about 2pm and managed 43 Stripers on Swimming plugs ! Let the good times roll!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Flats Rat

Mike

Watcha doing this week-end?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:53 PM

Can bet

Can bet that I will be out there thats for sure! Just have some minor prep work to do on the vessel. I shall work into the wee hours to get the electronics hooked up and running properly. If I have to work in the dark with a flashlight so be it.

Sunday looks like good bet
Old 03-17-2003, 06:59 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Hudson River

Mike,

So, is this a yak-able area or only for the bigger boys? (He asked, innocently...)

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 AM

Big boy's

Doc,

This area is perfect for a Yak or small craft ! There are two bays to fish that are nicely protected by the elements.

#1 Tellers Point ( South Side of Croton Point )

#2 Half Moon Bay ( North Side of Croton Point )

If both of those fail to produce you can paddly up the Croton River into one of the most scenic areas around. Picture this :

As you paddle up river you are first greeted by a large gravel flat that ( may have to walk the yak across) Tall Reeds and Egrets line the banks here. To your left you will see the remains of old docks as you now are gently gliding over 20ft of water. As you look ahead you are greeted by a small island with a fast flowing channel on the right. As you paddle up the channel the water depth goes varies from 4-12ft. At the head of the island lies a fast section of white water that you need to paddle through. Once you pass that you now are in a glass calm area where water depth varies from 6-40ft of water. Dont let the calm fool you! The current underneath his HELLACIOUS! You look around and see 20-40ft cliffs on both sides with a few rope swings that the kids use in the summer, you look to the top of the highest cliff and see an old hotel on the top that now is someones home. A short paddle past the house puts you on top of the Shelf. The water here starts at 6ft and sharply drops to 43ft. Past the shelf you come to another Island : Paradise Ilsand. You will be dumbfounded at its beauty. Surrounded by high cliffs and boulders you have reached the last tidally efected area. Two converging flows around the island form a large sandbar to stand on an throw your offering into the confused white water. All this and its only 45 minutes from Manhattan.

If you decide you would like to fish here I would highly suggest bringing a 9wt and /or a 10 or 11wt. I have been surprised here a few times with 8 and 9 and have hooked truely trophy sized fish here. Current here makes it almost impossible to land a 15lb fish on anything lighter than a 10wt. When the water drops you can fish a 7 or 8wt with no problems.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:17 AM

Hi Mike,
I've been waiting for your Hudson reports, was planning a Croton yak assault soon but thought would just be doing some recon. Yr post has a lot of great info, thanks. Is it really time already? I had believed we were still weeks away.

Doc, Adrian, if either or both of you are prepared for yakking in water 40F I'm game.

Jim
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 AM

kid you not

Started getting phone calls late Sunday in regards to the fishing. My freind " Poppy " was out on a friends boat out in Half Moon Bay yesterday from around 3-7pm. He landed 13 fish with the biggest around 17lbs using light spin gear. Water depth was 7-11 ft. The action varies quite a bit depending on your location. Too deep will produce 1 or two fish but if you go to shallow water you can spend hours on the school and boat well into the high double digits and if your lucky hit the TRIPLE digit mark ( if you have the time ). These areas are good for the Yakers becuase of all the access points. You can dump the yak or pontoon boat almost anywhere.

If anyone is interested I will have the " Dollar Short" out on Sunday if any of you want to meet up.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:25 AM

Water Temp

The water Temps fluctuate dramatically! The main river is at 35 degrees. Pull in the bay when the sun is out and its in the high 40's! Thats a 10 degree difference within a 100yds.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:42 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Hudson River Report

Mike,

Many thanks for the info...gotta go get my 'Yak quick.

This weekend is a no-go, however. It's Mrs. Doc's b'day. Gotta treat her right. Then we fish!

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 03-18-2003, 12:56 PM

buzz

Send me a PM when you want to go. Be glad to show you around.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Thanks Mike. Might drag the yak over there Sunday.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:52 PM

let me know

Let me know if you need a drop point.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:17 PM

Actually, Mike, I was just thinking I could just throw it in at Croton Pt Park. Haven't paddled in there before so I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:13 PM

croton

Croton is a good bet.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Flats Rat

Jim, Sunday sounds good to me too!

Gives me time to tie up some "noisy" patterns on Saturday (Whistlers etc.) - can't let the "rattlin rappala" guys have all the fun

I recall a small ramp behind the Metro North railroad station off route 9. Very small but o.k. for small craft and yaks. The advantage is it puts you right on the Croton estuary.

I'm thinking a NY State licence is needed once you get into the lower croton river itself - even the tidal sections?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.