First fish of 2003 . . . - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
_

First fish of 2003 . . .

wasn't a trout -- it was a sucker

And I caught it on a spinning rod

It was so nice today that I had to go fishing. I tried the Housatonic River below the Woods Pond dam hoping to catch a trout or two. (Or anything!) I figured I could at least catch fallfish there since they seem to bite well even when the water is ice cold, but I was fishing from shore and could only roll cast because of the trees so couldn't reach the "good" spot with the fly rod. I wasn't catching anything in the areas that I was able to fish so I took a lunch break and went home to get my waders. When I returned to the river I decided to try a "test cast" with my spinning rod just to see if the fish were there, and I hooked into a 2 lb sucker on the first cast! So I put on my waders and stood in ice water for the next couple hours trying to catch something on the fly rod. No such luck. Oh well, it was nice to be out anyway even though my feet were freezing.

A funny thing happened when I was on my way back to shore. I spotted a yellow perch that appeared to be wedged between a couple of rocks in 6 inches of water about 2 feet from shore. I dropped my fly on its nose a couple times and it didn't move so I took a closer look. I didn't see any mouth or fin movement and I wondered if it was a dead or injured fish that had been hooked by one of the ice fishermen on the pond. I reached down to move one of the rocks and the perch jumped out of the water, splashed a couple times and headed for deeper water. I guess it was just trying to soak up some rays and I interrupted its sun bath!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2003, 12:08 PM
extmtbiker

nice fish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.