Wilmington - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 04:42 PM
President of CAC

Wilmington

Just back from two days and left Adrian with Juro to breakdown the booth... Sean and friend along with Adrian showed up yesterday to help set up... Saw alot of familiar faces....We sold a lot of tickets for the raffles...FredA and his wife showed up along with Dave Fix and Joan, Slinger, Gerry, Sprocket, Bob Pink, Shadfreak,The "Penguin", Big Dave, Quentin, Eddie, Dominec, and Bardy....I am sure I missed a couple , but still under the weather with this flu... I missed the Clave but it sounds like a report will come from Juro or someone and I understand a couple Temple Fork Reps. showed up..but I will leave that to a more detailed report... Had a great conversation with Bob Popovic and we traded flies and he really encouraged me with the feather Brain. Jay Horton stopped by with Photo's and Lefty Kreh tought the FB would make a great Snook fly. Capt.Bob Hines and Capt.Ray S along with Capt.Bill Strackel (Spell) spent time at the booth. I guess I missed a good dinner last night and now that the shows are over...on to some soon to be fishing. The Booth was another success and we had a lot of stops from a number of people and may have some new members signing up. Here are some photo's... Bob Pink and Adrian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wilmington 001.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1708  

Last edited by striblue; 03-16-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2003, 04:43 PM
President of CAC

Big Dave and Sprocket:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wilmington 008.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1709  
Old 03-16-2003, 04:43 PM
President of CAC

Pete and Gerry:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wilmington2 004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1710  
Old 03-16-2003, 04:44 PM
President of CAC

The Booth and Juro:
Old 03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
President of CAC

The Booth and Juro...let me try that again....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wilmington2 001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1711  
Old 03-16-2003, 04:49 PM
President of CAC

A Feather Brain picture taken by Juro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wilmington 005.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1712  
Old 03-16-2003, 06:37 PM

Hi there John, great to see the Forum (im)famous when I stopped by yesterday. Hope you beat the flu bug soon. Booth traffic was excellent again and the message continues to spread. Kudos to all who invested their sweat and talents to make it happen.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It was a great show, always fun to see the faces again, some who we won't see until next year - others we we'll see soon on the water.

Special thanks to those who gave their time to assemble, represent, promote, teach, and generally bring high spirits to our humble booth.

With the long days and spring on the horizon, we'll soon stop BS'ing about it and get down to business.

Pictures and full report to come... right now I need to unload the truck and crack open a cold one.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to neac9 Send a message via Yahoo to neac9
Had a great time at the show it is alway a pleasure to watch good ppl interact with others over a topic they have a passion for.
John thank you for the lesson and the laughs supplied by yourself and Pete. Juro cant wait to hit the water with you guys It will be an honor and an experience Im sure the laughs may even surpass the fish but heres hopeing not. Once again thanks for a good day. Adrian good luck next weekend may you strech your line deep into the backing.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:46 AM
Middle Aged Member

It was good to see everyone Saturday and great to work out the kinks at the kasting klave. Now, if the weather cooperates, it's time to attack the spring chores and carve out some time for fishing in May and June.

John, hope you're feeling better.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:33 AM

Cool Great Job all!

I'm sorry I wasn't more involved with the booth & BB but other commitments etc...Just hanging around was great craic though.

I particularly enjoyed seeing John start a Feather Brain but I wished I had seen the second half - I'm sure there's a few tricks to be learned.

Big Dave & Juro - thanks much for the help on leaders. I picked up a few for the trip. A full report upon return (with pic's hopefully).

The Casting Clave was another "I wish I could've stayed longer" - Jay, I'll ping you soon - nice hood ornament, you've got the job.

This week at work promises to be a full one and it's time to think about packing up the house as discussions are moving forward...I'm gonna be busy before ol' Mr. Pajamas gets here...

Nose to the grindstone,
TMS
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Per leaders - I thought more about it and Dave's recommendation was excellent but there's more to the story which is where my hesitation was coming from.

For a vacation fishing diversion, it's not worth buying a versitip system or making one up. but if you were to make a season of it, you'd be lost without one. I wish I still had my single-handed hybrid lines to have you try over there, all my lines for steelhead are now Spey.

On the other hand it's really simple to make one. Just take a reasonably cheap FWF line, measure back 15' from the tip, and CUT IT. Yes, cut it. Put a loop on both sides, then put it back together to recover from the trauma of cutting it.

Then go buy a 30' STS type IV, which is a tapered shooting head line. Measure back 13' and cut that. Loop both sides of the cut, and then put each on the back loop of the flyline and try casting it. It will cast great and you will have three tips just like that:

1) floating, which you can use with the poly leader optionally
2) 13' light duty sinking tip
3) 17' dredger

Where I am coming from is since getting addicted to steelhead in '79 "sinktip" has come to mean effective hybrid head systems for spey rods that bring large swimming winter steelhead flies into the correct column for a teasing variation of the atlantic salmon swing.

My experiences with poly leaders has been that they pull the fly down just a little bit more than a mono leader in any kind of current but fairly deep in a slow current... but nowhere near a sinktip in any current at all.

I tried them on a 2.5' deep ocean flat, high noon sun, moderate tide current to see if it would help put crab flies down on the sand better than an intermediate clear line and I could barely tell the difference between the two. If I had a hybrid sink system it would have only been surpassed by the use of a full sinking head like a 325 grain Deep sea, etc. But stripers don't like seeing all that black clothes line on the flats. There are some salmon pools where they would be ideal, even slower current / holding pools, to cut under a riffle in a shallow rocky glade, etc. But for general cold water depth fishing I have my doubts.

Another option is use of weighted flies, or sparse flies in summer. I rarely if ever fish a weighted steelhead (salmon) fly, so I use the column of the line to lead the fly through the preferred column (sinktip). I think there is a lot of merit to adding some weight to certain flies whose bulk creates much resistance, like the Intruder. But this just improves the way it swims unlike weighted flies for dead-drifting, etc. Many salmon anglers, who are all "swingers", use brass tube flies to bring the fly deeper in fast deep runs in cold water. The use of full sink lines is much more prevalent in Europe as well. I doubt I would find myself going to full sink and brass tube fishing, although when in Rome...

The Great Lakes guys I've watched during my own trips out there are primarily "drifters" with a few swingers in the mix. In drifting the fly is almost always weighted, sometimes even the leader. The line does not need to sink at all with a long leader. That really gets the fly on their noses effectively, but it lacks the excitement of a big grab on a swum fly for me, to each his/her own.

If I have a chance, I will see if I can whip up a hybrid system for you to try. What rod weight are you bringing over?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:45 AM

great time

Nice seeing all of you at the show on saturday. Juro waving around the spey rod, John behind the vise (surprise) and meeting Quentin and Sprocket were some memories that come to mind. Adrian, wish I had more time to talk but I had to get front row seating to watch Bob Pop's working his magic on a spread fly and Ultra Shrimp!

Sprocket - I remembered I have a 6wt sink tip that I don't use anymore (don't carry extra spools when trout fishing). You're welcome to borrow it for your trip if you like.

Look forward to wetting a line will all of you at some point this season.

Dave
Old 03-17-2003, 09:42 AM

good to see everyone. Can't wait to get back out on the water.
Juro, good post. A small taiste of all the good information available on the steelhead/spey side. Good cross pollination. Maybe Sean could install a random post placer where one out of every 20 posts goes somewhere else:hehe:
Old 03-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Unhappy

It sounds like another great time. Wish I could have joined you for a couple days for companionship and casting but I'm still doing the recovery thing. My Doc said go but my wife said no. I should be ready to go in time for the spring clave. Did some one say clave?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.