MA - Third from last in environment budget - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Exclamation MA - Third from last in environment budget

48th in the union in environmental budget... please help American Rivers help us...

Dear Massachusetts' activist:

We need your help to restore necessary funding to assachusetts'
Riverways Program! The FY04 budget submitted by Governor Mitt Romney provides zero funding for the program (line item 2300-0101) and lists it as discontinued.

Urge your state senators and representatives to restore funding.
Visit: http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/wac/i...ep=2&item=2508

The Department of Fisheries, Wildlife and Environmental Law
Enforcement's Riverways Program promotes the protection and
restoration of the Commonwealth's watersheds by providing technical assistance and outreach to communities, citizen groups, and others.

If the budget passes in its current form, the state's primary
advocate for rivers and river health would be eliminated.

Currently, Massachusetts spends less than 1 cent of every dollar in the state budget on the environment, which places Massachusetts 48th of all states on environmental spending.

Don't let this valuable program be cut-and Massachusetts'
environmental spending drop even further! Use our system to contact the Senate and House Chairs of the Ways and Means Committees, but please be sure to send letters to your state representatives too. Visit our website for a sample letter and to get contact information.

Act today! Visit:
http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/wac/i...ep=2&item=2508
or http://www.amrivers.org/takeaction/default.htm

Thank you for helping to protect and restore America's rivers, and being a part of American Rivers' River Action Center (http://www.americanrivers.org/takeaction/).

Take the next step - become a member of American Rivers!
http://www.americanrivers.org/joindonate or call us at 202-347-7550, or toll free at 1-877-347-7550.

To contact American Rivers, email us at outreach@amrivers.org

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 05:02 AM

These are a great bunch of people at the Riverways program. The program is made up of River Restore which deals with dam removal, Urban Rivers Program and the Adopt a Stream Program. This whole program costs MA taxpayers about 360 K a year the rest of their budget comes from non state grants.

They provide an invaluable service for any individaul or group with an interest in the health and diversity of our rivers. Much of their mission is to povide information and guidance to citizens who have an interest in rivers. From the regulatory maze's of sewer and stormwater discharges to the rather contensious process of dam removal.

They have helped me with several projects in the past and presently, which would have been ovewhelming without their guidance.

Last summer two of the girls from the Urban Rivers Program took time on a Sunday afternoon to drive down from west of Boston to kayak with me down past the Brockton Sewer Plant. They came to help answer my questions and to do some water quality sampling above,at and below the plant. If this isn't above and beyond the call of duty I don't know what the hell is. So if you have a spare moment put in a good word for them, they really are the best.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tim, you and your brother have been an inspiration to me in your hands-on dedication to the environment. I put this post here largely because of my awareness of our own state's plight thanks to you.

You can bet I will be involved in the fight to keep our society from regressing to the sad state of affairs we created not too long ago when rivers ignited and sediments accumulated the toxins that are still rendering them hazardous today.

It's shameful really the way we've beat our rivers to hell around here. Disgusting. The Charles. The Merrimac. The Mystic. The Nashua. In fact you can go down the seaboard and it doesn't get much better for a loooong ways.

Mitt should cut a fat cat salary instead, they are infinitely easier to find than a good river.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:00 AM

This is a tough call for me. I advocate lots of enviromental programs and don't mind public funds being spent wisely in this area. Here's the problem: The whole public monetary system is broken or mismanaged. The pols have not learned to save for rainy days to carry us through the wims of the the market cycle. Most of the other states are having this problem. They operate like the Airlines that can only survive in boom times under the weight of huge cash flow. This affects every level from Federal down to local municipalities. And with the national debt skyrocketing (again) we will see these problems persist. Now, clearly Mitt Romney has a mandate to do a big re-org. Fishing is merely a sport or pastime to the majority of people paying taxes. As such, it doesn't rank compared to education, helping the poor, prescriptions, infrastructure, etc. Therefore this is the time where personal contributions both in terms of $$ and volunteerism need to fill the gap. I hope I can personally help with this challenge. The funds just aren't going to come from the gov. for a while. At least if Mitt gets rid of Billy Bulger he could save $300K right there. If only he could channel that money to the Riverways Program.
He is cutting all the fat cats that he can, way more than any other pol would have. Go Mitt, and volunteer. I am going to review the Riverways website for ways to help.

Lefty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.