Catch More Fish - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM

Catch More Fish

What books have you read that have helped you catch more fish or greatly changed the way you fish for trout? Sylvester Nemes books on the soft hackled fly were a revelation to me a few years ago. The flies are both easy to tie and easy to fish. Fish practically hook themselves on softhackles and they work under a variety of conditions. Lately I have found Roger Hill's book on Fly Fishing the South Platte River to be very helpful. His suggestions on dead drift nymphing and the use of two flies at a time work well on most of our tailwaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 03:19 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
compared to most of the people here i am very new to FF and i haven't read to many books but dave hugh's essential trout flies and FF fo trout in streams have helped me a lot

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 03-12-2003, 04:28 PM

Selective Trout - Swisher and Richards - 1976 first edition, new edition is now out. Rated one of top ten fly fishing books in a poll one of the major mags recently did. Its still my bible.

BTW, they are Michigan trout guys.

PM Out
Old 03-12-2003, 05:42 PM

The Old Classic

"Trout" by Ray Bergman is THE classic. Best thing is the "old" techniques he talks about still work, especially when most guys aren't catching anything. Reading a book by him is like sitting, talking with an old friend. In addition, you will learn what we had to go through to fish when I was young.

BobK
Old 03-12-2003, 06:56 PM

Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer. One of the first books I read that applied to the relatively infertile streams I fish. Bob I agree that Bergmans Trout is a classic that has much to teach us. His observations of fishermen on a stream are very telling to this day.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Flats Rat

Tom Ivens Stillwater Trout. I had to read it twice - too much to take in first time. The first book that really changed the way I think about fishing which, eventually, led to a lot more success.

For instant results, the best (or worst depending on your point of view) was Gordon Frasers introduction of the Booby Nymph to UK stillwater trout fishers. Fished on a short leader and fast sinking line, this patterns ability to extract limit after limit from the put and take fisheries led to its banning in many places.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.