Smallmouth Maniacs - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2003, 11:44 PM
"chicks dig scars"

Smallmouth Maniacs

Living in the Great Bluegrass State, my options for steelheading, bonefishing, and coho chase are limited to say the least. I live a short drive from the Cumberlad River which is by rputation the best trout fishery in the south. One would think that this would make me a very happy young man, but one would be wrong...where are all of my kindred souls looking for that monster smallie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 03:22 AM

Quote:
...where are all of my kindred souls looking for that monster smallie?
They're getting ready for carp fishing.

[Oh. Am I in the wrong movie ?]
Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Flats Rat

Lots of Smallie fans here Fred and Carp fans too Greg!

Look back over some of last seasons threads, especially Quentins and you'll see a lot of interest in pursuing the "Freshwater Bonefish" on fly.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Fly chucker

Smallmouth maniac? Guilty as charged. They're truly one of my favorite species, and I can't wait to get back after them.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Recent Member

I've been tying up some hopeful smallie-slayers lately. A lead-eyed olive Zonker with an orange chenille wrapped body, and I use red wire to wrap the front half of the rabbit strip "matuka-style" to the hook.Leave about 1.5" strip hanging past hook bend as a wiggly tail.
I'm hoping another of my creations will be good too; it's a weighted minnow; mylar-tubing body, crystal polar-type hair wing, chartruese flashabou strands for an overwing, black thread head & a red yarn tuft at the throat. Looks good enuff to eat to me! LOL! Cheers, Dan'l
Lotsa places up here for bass in Ontario.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:27 PM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Thumbs up Smallmouth Bass

I catch and release more smallmouth on yellow body/white hackle woolie-bugger (size #8) than any other fly.

The smallies at Beaver Creek State Park in South-East Ohio just slam that fly...

I caught a few 18+ inch smallmouth there, but mostly in the 12-16 inch range.

I like to fish then just before the dam, right where the water bulges at the rock shelf, it's a smallmouth bananza... :hehe:

I also had limited luck using a purple rabbit strip zonker type fly, these seem to do well during heavy overcast days and just at sunrise and sunsets.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:11 PM
_

I love the aggressive hit and acrobatic fight of the smallies. There's a pretty good population in a few of the local lakes and rivers, but I haven't found any good methods for catching them consistently and I usually only catch them "by accident". It's always a treat to have one of those bronze footballs bouncing around on the end of my line!

Q
Old 02-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Recent Member

Sometimes you gotta finesse 'em with crappie-sized lilttle wet flys or streamers or nymphs! Sight fishing to one you can actually see also, makes it easier to tease the bugger to hit! Cheers.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Fly chucker

Here's a piece of advice that I learned a long time ago.....

If you want to catch big smallmouths (i.e., bigger than 16"), leave the small flies at home. While downsized flies have their moments, you'll catch the attention of more big fish more consistently with bigger flies.

Seems obvious enough, but I didn't start catching large smallies until I really adopted this attitude. What a difference!
Old 03-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Pencil me in.....

Dble is right. It has been well known for years in tournament circles that NE smallmouths eat big baits.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:59 PM

Smallmouth Bass

Hi,

Just joined the board last week. Looking forward to comparing notes with fellow fly fishers. In the past I've been successful catching smallies on ultralight jigs using my spinning reel. One of the patterns that worked really well was suggestive of a crayfish(hackle feather tail, bugger-type body and a flared collar of two or three bunches of deerhair). On a light jighead this deerhair collar made the jig approach a neutral buoyancy. Knowing that the crayfish is high on the smallmouth's wish list, what representative type crayfish patterns do you use? I do not like fishing complicated realistic patterns as I find them far less effective and too time consuming to tie. Heads up to Danbo a fellow resident of Southern Ontario for listing this flyfishing for pike site on another board. I think many of you will find it interesting.
http://www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk/
Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 PM

Smallmouth/Pike

Perch Streamers
These images come from a site dedicated to catching pike on a flyrod.

Downsize these a little and I'm sure big "smallies would be more than interested.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Fly chucker

Re: Smallmouth Bass

Quote:
Originally posted by smallmouth
Knowing that the crayfish is high on the smallmouth's wish list, what representative type crayfish patterns do you use? I do not like fishing complicated realistic patterns as I find them far less effective and too time consuming to tie.
Welcome! If you prefer crayfish flies that are effective and simple to tie, then you really can't go wrong with a brown over orange (or similar crayfish color) clouser bounced along the bottom. They're cheap and quick to tie, which matters a lot because when fished correctly you'll be losing some to snags (even with the hook riding up).
Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 AM

Brown Clousers

Thanks Dble Haul,

I read that somwhere as well. I'm going to have to give them a try. Do you always fish the traditional bucktail clouser or have you tried tying them with marabou?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Fly chucker

I've tried them with bucktail, marabou, unique hair, and super hair. Naturally the two synthetic materials are more durable, but for the most part I stick with bucktail. I've not really seen a difference in success between any of the materials.

For a change of pace, do a search in the Striper Archive for "Deep Eel". This is a pattern developed by Juro for stripers, but downsized a tad it has worked for me on smallies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.