tube flys - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 10:51 PM

tube flys

what kind of hooks do people use for bigger tube flys?
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Fluff

Trebles; Trebles with one cut off so the leftovers lay port/starboard for balance; larger singles with O'Shaughnessy bends into the 'ought' sizes; an idea comes to mind the Varivas style bend, almost a "D" shape, would be quite versatile in tube use. IMO, YMMV.

p.s. - don't forget about reviewing states' guidelines per hooks in the water at any one time, regarding multiple points.

Last edited by DFix; 03-11-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eddie - if you pose this question in the steelhead board you will likely get flooded with replies.

Most tube fly hooks nowadays are straight-eye short shank so that they fit into the soft tubing that bridges the end of the tube with the hook.

The preferred single hook for tubes out west is a beak point, which seems to resist dulling on river stones.

A lighter wire version of the TMC 800s would be ideal IMHO, unless you like the hvy wire as it is.

Durability of hooks is moot with tube flies, you simply discard them and tie on a fresh one. Stainless hooks are unnecessary.

I've fished several saltwater tube patterns and whether for pacific coho or eastern gamefish the degree of freedom provided by a short shanked hook is far superior in holding onto fish over a solid shank hook of the same length fly dressing.

One concern w/ tubes for stripers is the location of the hook. You can fish a 12" fly with a 1" hook up front and still hook the striper. If you tie a 12" tube fly, the hook will be at the back end. I'm sure this would not affect things too much but it is going to change the way the point sticks in the lip.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:20 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Juro,

You can still tie a 12" tube fly and have the hook 1" from the head - just use a short tube. That is what I do even with my salmon bucktails, when I want the hook back near the tail as with traditional trolling flies I just tie a tandem hook-up a la mooching.

Still Living Large!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replys. The hooks that are normally recomended are stubby little bait hooks. In the larger sizes they look like anchors. It seems that after a 0/2 the recomendations get slim.
Good idea with the treble. I have some of the Loop doubles but they are small. I don't see why a lrger on wouldn't work. I wonder if they would impede hook up. I would fish them barbless.
A lighter wire 800s would seem ideal.
I am experimenting with the Varvias hooks now. The shank is still a little longer than it needs to be.
Maybe a non offset circle would work.
I know what you mean regarding hook placement. I am just starting to mess around with this and there seem to be so many cool possibilities. Maybe a Swap next winter will be in order. Anyone else tying with tubes for the salt?
Old 03-12-2003, 10:28 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
I share the question on what type of hook to use with tube flies. While I'm new to this tying technique, the Tiemco 600SP appears to be a good hook for the larger saltwater tube flies. It is 2x short, wide gape and straight eye. The downside is that the smallest size available is 1/0.

In reviewing some of the posts on the Pacific side, short shank bait hooks seem to be preferred.

As an aside, large crease flies, bait patterns tied in the round, and slab side bait patterns lend themselves to this technique. Eel patterns on multiple tubes is another concept worth pursuing.

A tube fly swap would be interesting.

Simms
Old 03-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Fluff

In re: hooks - as previously mentioned, some, if not most, seem to lean toward using short-shank singles. I'm sure every manufacturer makes some version of a short-shank whatever. That being the case, give a look at the Mustad Signature Series, or the Varivas 990. Both makes are available in szs. 1,2,4,6,8, etc. I've already used up two boxes of Mustad just in swap flies; I could be accused of hoarding my Varivas for "best" - I like the Varivas for design, finish, strength, sharpness.

If/when I do anything tube related, I'll debate which to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.