BC License Fees increase - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Coednakedspey

BC License Fees increase

I opened my copy of the new BC regulations synopsis for the coming year of April 2003 to March 2004 and we have increased our license fees somewhat significantly. It's not going to hit the residents of BC as hard, but you guys south of the border just be forewarned if you wish to embark on that Steelhead trip of a lifetime on our northern, interior, or coastal drainages that have classified waters on them and you're on a slight budget.

For example, (CDN funds of course) "Non-resident Alien"
Annual Angling license - $80
or
8 day angling license - $50

You also must have a Steelhead stamp - $60 (you can only puchase one stamp regardless of the type of license you purchase.)

Also, on top of the stamp and the basic license, you must also pay a classified waters fee which has been essentially doubled per day.

Class 1 Waters $40/day (examples: Upper Dean, Babine, Sustut, Gitnadoix, Upper Copper (Zymoetz) )

Class 2 Waters $20/day (examples: Lower Dean, Bulkley, Morice, Skeena proper, Suskwa (Bear), Kalum, Lakelse, Lower Copper (Zymoetz), Kispiox, A variety of other Skeena, Nass, and other tributaries, Thompson)

So pretending I wanted to do a week trip on the Bulkley
8 day license - $50
Steelhead stamp $60
7 x $20/day - $140

Total - $250 in licenses, CDN funds.

When you factor in the quality of fishing and compare it to other destination accross the world, in my opinion it works out to d*ck all! but it is more than last year. When you factor in exchange rate with our weak CDN dollar, it works out to about $10 total.

A comparable trip for a resident of BC
8 day license - $20
Steelhead stamp $25
Classified waters license, purchased on annual basis - $15

Total - $60

You still can do a trip up north for dirt cheap if you know what you're doing, where to stay, or if you have a 5th wheel or RV. We sure are lucky to live where we live.

Last edited by Scott K; 03-12-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2003, 10:26 PM

BC LICENSE $$$

Scott,
Thanks for the info! Now I can get a head start on my investment up north, but I'm always happy to pay, because the returns on this investment are Guaranteed!
Deerhawk
Old 03-11-2003, 08:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
based on my one trip the the Babine it's still a bargain...
Old 03-11-2003, 11:54 PM

Since we are feeling bad here about being priced out of B.C. fishing, let me just point up a few experience on my last trip to the Kamloops area.
Horrible campsite--no water, no electricity, no sewer and this was billed as an RV site.
Arrived in the dark and could not park my trailer in this little wretched hole assigned to me. Camped in the road.
Could not sleep because of the biting cold in early June.
Forgot meds, so I aborted my trip and rushed for home--I can't be long without my meds.
I nearly killed two signalmen on the summit in a blinding snow storm. The Canadians have a crane out and have blocked all but one of three lanes. All traffic must converge to one and there is no warning except the flagmen. To be completely accurate, there were a few, very small signs that said something I couldn't read. The signs were about a foot high.
I merged left to avoid killing the two flagmen and I just had to hope that my trailer and I could fit in. We did and all went well but I was terrified by it.
But the best was saved for last. At Abbotsford, I make my turn left to head to the US. About half way to the border the traffic comes to dead halt. Solid trucks in front of me for as far as I can see. One truck length every 5 to 10 minutes.
Finally, observing others, I pull out into the oncoming lane and hope for the best.
I make it to the border and there is no one there! I mean no cars- just one Gestapo man.
Seems the Americans were going through every Canadian truck bound for the U.S.(read 9/11 here) and that was what was taking so long.
The customs agent said it was the fault of the Canadians for not informing Americans, who had no truck and were just simple tourists, to go on ahead. I told him that since we were both from the same sod, why didn't he do something. "No," he says," that's their business because it's Canadian soil.
Damn but I love Canada, even the people! I wanted to retire in Nanaimo but was refused because I did not have a net worth of one million dollars (US) (read fear that you have cancer and are coming up to die at the expense of the Canadians and their health program).
Plus, and while this is a bummer and not really Canada"s fault, I have been skunked the last three times in a row at Roche Lake which I thought I had dialed in.
So like a dumb dolly that has been hooked to death, I'm a bit sore about my friends to the north of me and I think I'll just fish in E. WA. and avoid all this crap.
So all the gold that I have dumped in Canada, and it is more than I care to think, will come to an abrupt halt.
Canada, B.C.particularly, lives and dies by tourism, but some people up your way are doing their damnedest to discourage it. Why is this so? Why not hike the fees up to four or five times more next year?
blawless
Old 03-12-2003, 07:21 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Blawless

After reading your post the Canadians will probably be happy that you aren't coming back.
As to your problems while in transit how can you blame Canada for the fact that by your own admission you are inattentive while behind the wheel and don't know how to drive your own rig.
How much does it cost for a nonresident to go salmon or steelhead fishing in your state?
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 AM

remember that B.C. stands for "bring cash". I kive here and get taxed and "user fee'd" to death. On the plus side the license increases are supposed to go back to the goverment agency looking after the freshwater fisheries.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 AM

When I was there in 1986 I think I paid about $ 70-80 CDN for a one week license and steelhead stamp. I have the 1986 BC regulation book at home in FF historical library. Will check it out to see what the fees were then for us RICH americans.

BTW, I felt like I needed an on river lawyer to help me interpret where to fish and with what legally, wow those were some complicated fishing regulations compared to here in GL country where it is fairly simple for andramous and trout fishing regulations. 95% of andramous waters are open 24/7 here.

Like that BC = Bring Cash

Pm Out
Old 03-12-2003, 11:41 AM

let's see, purchase freshwater license,steelhead stamp,salmon stamp, clasified waters license for both class one and class two, fly fish w/floating line,barbless single hook, never keep what you catch and yes you should be legal most of the time. The only problem now will be if the river is really open to fishing or not. There you have it, B.C. (bring cash) simplified freshwater regulations.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Coednakedspey

I don't think it would take a brain surgeon to figure out that if you are in an area where you are "going blind," with no previous expierience and little knowledge that you would consult a tackle store or hire a guide for a day, or both, for some information on the river you intend to fish and the specific regulations and how they apply. You have to buy a license somewhere right?

I agree that in general regulations are confusing, but when faced with the task my question is could you make them less confusing in all honesty? I can tell you that I could probably make most regulations less confusing but the regulations would turn from an 80 page synopsis to a 200 plus page manual because I would list each specific stream, what you can, can not keep, and the specific regulations, instead of the generalisations and each region and then the specific stream regulations which seems to confuse people. This would make each seperate streams regulations less confusing but add to the bulk of the regulations.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:35 PM

Oh I forget and then there was the BC fisheries officer who checked me twice the same day on the Vedder to see if I was fishing legally. Probably the first time he noticed my 7 day license and said, aaah a newbie american fly fisher, perhaps I can catch him doing something illegal at the end of the day. So there he was checking me again. Actually I was impressed since I have probably got checked by a fisheries officer maybe 2-3 other times in 43 years of FF in the US.

No one was hitting steelies it was very wintry weather, got out of Vancouver earlier than planned, headed to LA next day on Santa Monica beaches, 80 degrees etc.. quite a dicohtomy in a 24 our time period.

PM Out
Old 03-12-2003, 01:51 PM

One year, I fished the Gold River on Vancouver Island at Christmas. Paid $100.00 for Special Rivers permit , plus a non-resident license about $25.
Got one 15 lbs buck and an 8 pound hen on gear. There are no stocked fish in the Gold, thank God.
I hadn't been there 15 minutes before a constable pulled up and checked all my paperwork. I think he was sort of pissed that I was so immaculate and he left with a snarl.
My guide did show me a hole that I did'nt know about but he casted right on the bingo spot before I could locate it-he got an 11 lbs. hen. I should have asked him to at least give me first water or maybe even to not fish at all.
But I pulled it all off and other than the usual annoyances(could'nt take off from Campbell River because the ceiling was too low and had to be bused to Comax), but I had a ball and I had fished a Sacred River. Thank you to my maple leaf friends.
blawless
Old 03-12-2003, 02:53 PM

Bob,

I was dying to take the ferry from BC out to the island to fish the Gold or Campbell, but did not have the proper window of time to pull it off with my business schedule.

Got to get back up there even if with the increased license fees for us Yanks.

PM Out
Old 03-12-2003, 06:21 PM
removed_by_request

You get what you pay for, in the case of fishing BC the cost is well worth it.

Always wanted to do the heli fishing assault, one day perhaps.....
Old 03-12-2003, 08:41 PM

Wow, my memory must be shot.

I am looking at the 1985/1986 British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations for non tidal waters, 40 pages of it !

Resident
annual - $ 13
6 day - 7

Non resident
annual - $ 23
6 day - 12

Steelhead
resident $ 6
non resident 15

Special Waters -
non resident $ 25

So I paid only $ 27 CDN not $ 70 for a 6 day + steelhead license

The present cost of a 8 day and steelhead license is $ 110 CDN

Only a 400% increase since 1986 !

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 03-12-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:18 AM
removed_by_request

Stiil worth its weight in gold, everything has gone up since the 80's. No big suprise there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.