Rogue River - Undersized Steelhead ! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Rogue River - Undersized Steelhead !

Mr. F. Evans please explain this to me. Undersized Rogue steelhead I have been hearing for 20 years, hah, now I know the truth.

PM Out

http://www.currypilot.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=5748
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
i hate poor editing. talking about springers and saying steelhead. GRRRR learn how to write and what you are writing about if you are going to do it as a job.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:18 AM

Hal, almost missed this post.

From personal observation the summer run steelhead on the Roge will (typical year) average 3-6 pounds, winter fish 7-12'ish. However, this years run of summer runs was exceptional due to the number of fish that were in the 10-12# range. Good ocean feeding this year???

Salmon ... that's a whole nother Beastie! Record last year was a 71 1/2# king on a 7wt fly rod out of a pram in the lower river. Only reason guy landed the fish is a partner got below the fish and netted it out of his pram when it rolled on the surface.

The spring run of kings (almost 45,000 through the counter into the upper river last year) will average 20-30# with a considerable number well above this figure. These fish are not too inclined to take a fly so the typical (particularly for the gear guys) is what we call "flossing." This is a very heavy head (300-400 grain RIO Big Boys and a fairly long leader and heavy fly. This is the time of the year I'll be using heavy tube flys due to weight and bulk.

Lead chuckers will be using 1.5-3oz lead sinkers and 10-12 foot leaders with a small corkie or glass beads above their hook. Point (pretty much) is to get the long leader sliding through their mouth until the hook slides into their jaw. Lot of 'exterior' hook ups (an automatic turn back as this is a game reg. "no-no').

The fall run of kings is far smaller in numbers (about one half that of the springers) but these buggers will readily take a fly and the water levels are usually far less. Here traditional 'swinging' will get you a lot of hook ups. Fun part is your 'rigged' for "3# steelhead, and you're just as likely to hook somethng that clocks in at 20#+++.

Major reason for the difference in gear wt (10-11Wt rods in the spring vs. 7-9's in the fall) really has to do with water flow conditions. The spring fish are very suseptable to some kind of water born disease so the water flows are kept high to cool the water temps in the mid-lower river. The fall kings don't seem to be bothered by the problem.

Took the game dept/Corp. of Eng. a few years to figure the above out .... and close to wiping out an entire run of spring kings a few years back.

fae
Old 03-09-2003, 08:10 AM

I had the impression that a rogue steelhead over 12 lBs was an outlyer, very infrequent etc...

PM Out
Old 03-11-2003, 09:45 AM

PM,

Fred is right on all counts.

Been fishing the Rogue for over 25 years, and seeing summer fish in the teens normally is very unusual.....Except for last season.

What an outstanding year it was !!!

Winter fish in the double didgits is common, and with a low flow season, coupled to a warm spring....It becomes a March Brown game.

Not many things more exciting then swinging a size 14 March Brown soft hackle into a pod of 8 to 15 pound clear water winter fish actively feeding on emergers.....Even dead drifted Drakes !

Same thing can happen on BWOs, and even into the Mother's Day Caddis if the run is late.

Small two handers are the ticket for these conditions.

The Rogue is an amazing river in that the Steelies, both winter and summer, dial into the rich entomology very early on in their travels up river. They take on "Trout" habits very quickly.

It is not unusual to nail a few hefty early winter fish at Agnes in Aug/Sept. while swinging Isonychia soft hackles into the tailouts for Half Pounders. Always a pleasant suprize !

Gotta love the Rogue...............R.B. Meiser
Old 03-11-2003, 10:03 AM

Yes that is what I have heard also from other Rogue river fly fisherman internet cyber friends.

Sounds like just the river for my new ultra light spey rod (shen purchased) to be exercised by those summer runs.

Its on my steelhead river to do list for sure.

PM Out
Old 03-11-2003, 10:37 AM

PM,

If you do ever intend to fish the Rogue, just for fun, check out the patterns on the Rogue Flyfishers site : www.rogueflyfishers.org.

Lots of years of accumulative experience in this group.....Some master tiers, and awesome anglers !

RBM
Old 03-16-2003, 09:59 PM

Bob,

Yes another Rogue angler showed me that a couple of months back. We use similar patterns in GL, lots of bead head nymphs.

My nymphing techniques sound like they would fit right in on the Rogue.

Thanks

Hal

PM Out
Old 03-16-2003, 10:14 PM

My nymphing techniques sound like they would fit right in on the Rogue.

Trust me on this one: You'll hook 'three to one' using this/that "system."
fae
Old 03-17-2003, 12:04 PM

So are you saying nymphs will out fish other fly types 3 to 1 on the Rogue ?

If so I will be there sooner rather than later.

PM Out
Old 03-17-2003, 12:08 PM
removed_by_request

It's amazing that no matter how big the trout, they act like trout. Eating bugs, sculpins etc. Seen a monster brown once nail a mouse that fell in the water. That was one big trout!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
P.M. it all depends on what section of the river you are on .I used to think the same way as Fred's report until ,I started swinging flies this last year . I was turned onto 4 different pattern's last year .I held my own with my buddies that are very awesome fisherman . Personally I am hooked on it now .Fish-head
Old 03-17-2003, 03:58 PM

I was turned onto 4 different pattern's last year

And they are??????????????????????????

"F-H" aka Andy Zwan is one killer guy with a fly rod; his fishing partner Bob make's him look like a rank amatur. SOOOOO are you holding out on us???
fae
Old 03-17-2003, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
They made me take an oath of silence . But might be able to show you them next time ,I see you on the water ????????????
Old 03-17-2003, 07:46 PM

I know some other regular rogue anglers besides Fred they use a lot of nymphs but say they do catch them on speys and other steelhead wet fly patterns also.

I will bring both when I get there.

But nymphs are always the starting point of attack.

PM Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.