Boneclave Question: shifts or ad lib? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2001, 12:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boneclave Question: shifts or ad lib?

On Sunday we have a few more people than open seats on boats so there are a few ways we can deal with this:

a) run shifts where some people fish the Wacky jetties and switch mid-day with others on boats

b) people bring their yaks and canoes and fish the jetties and surrounding areas, and are hosted the next day

c) recruit more boats!

So I guess in simplified terms I mean do mid-day shift changes or full day shift changes?

I volunteered for jetty duty both years and it was awesome fishing. Just look at the pictures of the action, those big schools of pogie were at my feet! I volunteer this year again.

I like the shift idea but it's hard to get people to come back to port mid-day when they are chasing fish, so it hasn't been very successful.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

(On Tuesday we have more seats than riders and Monday we are very close to even - TBD)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2001, 03:05 PM
Middle Aged Member

Since I'm there for the duration I can be happy using the kayak Sunday - no need to work me onto a boat. Depending on how much stuff I bring I may need a frieght shuttle out to the site.

Fred A.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:19 PM

Since my boat is more limited to the inside unless it's FAC like last year I can shuttle 1 over to the jetty on Sunday in addition to fish one.
Ad lib tends to dominate each year. Some people might be way out by the Vineyard making a return mid-day tough. Others will be at Sucky Shoals and want to zip in for lunch. You could Ad-Lib a rotation then. I will be nearby either way and can rotate/help out.

Lefty
Old 08-13-2001, 04:16 PM
Wanna be striper bum

I have a yak and I do not mind being on jetty duty on Sunday. I also won't lie: I would love to get out on some gracious person's boat over the course of the weekend! Still, if that doesn't happen then that is no big deal. I will be grateful to everyone involved either way.

Have yak, will travel...
Old 08-13-2001, 04:24 PM
Here fishy fishy

While I'd love to get on a boat, I'll bring my canoe & would be more than happy to share it w/ someone else. Ok, ok, not entirely altruistic as I suspect I could use some rowing help on the way out to Washburn & then out to the beach...:-D
Old 08-13-2001, 04:30 PM

I'll bring a little craft as well, should be no problem getting a tow out to camp, jetties, etc. Tide doesn't always flow our way.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:38 PM

It's a long day, I would be happy to do shifts, It would be good to get as many out in the boats as we can. Also, a good idea to nock noggins as to the whereabouts of the stiff fish. I think that with two shifts during the day and possibly one more after dinner, for those who's arms are still attached, we could acomodate all willing and able. Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:42 PM

Since I'm only coming down for the day, I'll do the shore/jetty thing, no biggy.

Not to be a party-pooper but is the Sunday meet-up Tstorm or shine?
Old 08-13-2001, 04:53 PM

I want to be on a boat all day.

That said, I think shifts, if do-able is a great idea. If my schedule works out so I can stay SUnday night - I don't care at all.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:56 PM

Just thought I'd add that we are only missing a few spots, out of those some have yaks and canoes, and I'm sure there will be shifts available on top of that. Didn't mean to paint a worse picture than it is!

That being said, thanks to all who are willing to fish the jetty with me, I can say with total sincerity that you could be fishing in worse places than the Waquoit Inlet. Eel River is another place we can get dropped off, or yak over to - just to the west. I've had some hellacious days over there around the rockpile on the shoals as well as in the deep channels. The west side beach is reminiscent of the Quonny west side beach, which runs between the two inlets.

Here is a picture I took of fish inside the jetty last year...

Here's one from the year before...

Old 08-13-2001, 05:32 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

I'll donate my yak to the cause as well. Mike, you can pick it up and bring it down.

~Mark
Old 08-13-2001, 05:37 PM

I can take three on my boat plus myself. just have to take turns casting. Don't mind doing shifts in order to get everyone out. Unfortunatly will have to head back earlier monday than planned, around two in the afternoon.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:40 PM

I have a rider for Sunday morning but can pick up one more for the afternoon.
I can take out 2 anglers plus myself the boat fishes 2 very nice, but we will have to rotate so we all get to fish.
I plan on staying until Tuesday and don't mind doing shifts to get people out on the water.
Also I think we should set up some kind of communication between boats VHF or cell .
Old 08-14-2001, 12:26 PM

Thanks Tim and John -

Good point in the VHF, channel TBD at the gathering point. Cell phone #'s will be emailed to those who signed up. I recommend printing them out and putting them in a pocket just in case.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:35 PM

UPDATE:

If you are bringing a yak/canoe, please re-enter the info on the sign-up sheet. I would like to say posting is enough but the reality is that it leads to mistakes and is too hard to do.

Yakker's can leave their gear at the White's Landing area and someone will take responsibility for it. Please be aware that it will need to be brought back as well so pack light.

Someone mentioned alternate launch points, this is a good idea for those who are not staying thru the whole time. Hold off though, the logistics of this need to be investigated. If it's easier to drop people back at the other launches then that's the best course of action.

I could use a volunteer to investigate the launch options with respect to small craft users and report here (please).

Tod, Terry and I will work on the other roster details. Sorry for the delay, working out the boats/riders/days/shuttles is a big task.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.