I found your fly on the Sol Duc this morning - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Registered Spey Offender

I found your fly on the Sol Duc this morning

I left work Thursday night after all of my 36 residents had their meds and were tucked into bed. Caught the ferry at 10:30 pm and arrived in the Beaver Creek campground by 1:30 am. Got 4 hours of sleep and made coffee. Had some Old fashion doughnuts and went to my hole below Sappho. I was almost through the pool when I looked down and saw a fly hooked around a rock. At first I thought it was my fly that I had lost a couple weeks before, but it was different. I looked across the river and the other flies I had lost were still in the trees. My fly, or version of the Aleutian Prince/Queen Hareball, has pink shoulders/purple body/ purple tail. Yours had purple shoulders/cerise body/silver flashabou tail. Actually it was a crinkly flashabou like MOP strands. A kind of hareball flasher. I retrieved it from the bottom and tucked it into my box. While that fly was in the water, it had such great action and look, that it just made sense. I thought, what a great spot to trade flies as I had left some pink ones for you. I finished that hole without losing any flies and dashed off to the hole by Shuwah, mixing Old fashions and beef jerky. I walked in and started fishing at the top using my cop car wannabe (by tying from vague descriptions, I ended up with a white hareball with cerise hare tied wing style and flanks of cerise golden tippet with jungle cock eyes). No luck, but I really thought the hole had some potential so I started over back at the top. Your fly was calling my name and I said, OK. Half way through and wham, but as soon as I had the hit, it was gone. It was the most significant evidence, other than sightings, that there is big Steelhead on the peninsula. Slowly stepping back, I started over 30 feet up. Wham, another hit with no connect. This time it was 10 yards farther downstream and away from the bank. About this time, a gear chucker appeared and started fishing my run. I cast 115 feet across his line (thanks Goran Anderson, Andy Murray, Tim Rajeff, George Cook, Steve Choate, Way Tin, Mike McCune, Scott Odonnell, Dana Sturn and Dennis Worley) and then he realized I was there. He was kind enough to move downstream, but it was too late. There were no more hits after that chunk of metal had dredged my run.

I have a few questions for the maker of the most important thing in my life this year (except my tax refund). What do you call your fly? And what is your name?

Matt

Last edited by mattzoid; 03-08-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

NO WAY! If you were on the pool above the fourth bridge where the creek with the concrete bridge pours in it was MINE lost in the trees right there!

tell me you are not serious...
Old 03-08-2003, 08:55 PM

Matt, meet my good friend Juro. Juro this is Matt.

Leland.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:32 PM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Matt or Juro

Please share a picture of this most productive/ seductive fly

After all....we are all amazed by the story....now we have to see what all the commotion is all about

best regards......Jake

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 03:28 AM
Registered Spey Offender

oopps

Last edited by mattzoid; 03-09-2003 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Registered Spey Offender

Juro,

I actually found it farther down by the fourth bridge, rather than up by where where Bear Creek comes in. But who knows, it could have washed down to where I found it. I'll post the pic, but forgive my older digital. It has screw in lenses for tele or macro. It will take really up close or far away. That's why I had to splice two pics together.

Thanks for the formal intro Leland. Leland had pointed you out to me, but I was having so much fun playing with everybody elses toys at Spey Days that I forgot to introduce myself. I've been meaning to talk with you about the striper section here. They use two handed rods for the salt back east and I'm on that like a fly on dead chum.
I asked Goran about it, but he seemed to be only focused on river fishing and was amazed I was even thinking about stripping in a shooting head past the tip. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anyone thinking of two handing the salt with light wt systems on Puget sound except me. Guess I'll have to write my own book as I just can't seemed to get back into the 9 foot overhead cast anymore.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	found fly.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1657  
Old 03-09-2003, 03:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pleasure to make the acquaintance!

Not mine after all, besides I must've been counting bridges from the other end (not Bear Crk). But amusingly the one I left upstream was (a) freshly tied on to the tippet (b) left in a tree high and dry and (c) in plain sight. The CND 13' 9wt I was using was rocketing the line with more vigor than I expected and I ended up putting it in the trees across the river at eye level. I left it thinking someone will see it and moved on after popping it off.

Looking at the pic, it's still on the branch... but it was amusing to think it but not the case. Still, it *was* "a" fourth bridge... small world!
Old 03-09-2003, 03:52 AM
Registered Spey Offender

Also, these are the flies I find most productive. I seem to get more bucks than hens to follow or bump these colors. I think it's because of the cerise or pink colors are spawning colors and the bucks don't like the little buck wannabe. I'm also finding that winter run don't hit like summer run. It's not as aggressive and have had to shorten my leader. I also have been wondering if they are just hitting the tails and not setting the hook. I may have to shorten these tails or use a longer shank.
Anyway, let me know what you think,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sol duc producers.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1658  
Old 03-09-2003, 08:53 AM

Use similar cerise flies for GLs skamania steelhead. Put some black or purple marabou at the head of it. They can pull the rod out of your hands if you are not paying attention.

PM Out
Old 03-09-2003, 11:07 AM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Thanks Matt

I can see why the steelhead like the Hareball fly....I can imagine it practically swims in the water

Thank you Matt

best regards.....Paul

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:28 PM

Try a Tube

Matt

The other opption is to tie them on a tube, then you do not have to worry about shortening up the tail. They tend to hold the fish better on a short shank too.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 03-16-2003, 01:52 PM
JD

Another option

would be to tie in a loop of heavy mono or fire wire so you could add a stinger hook. Then cut the main hook off at the bend.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Thanks everyone. I'm hitting the Sol Duc Friday and I'm going to try all of thses ideas until I develope that winter run touch.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.