Weekend Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2001, 02:52 PM
Middle Aged Member

Weekend Report

Bought the wife a china cabinet. Thought I was accruing points but had to put new paint on the diningroom walls and ceiling, and other assorted chores....

Lets see - I fished about 3 hours last weekend, 2 hours the week before, and... how long ago was the 2nd rip trip? Looking forward to the Bone Clave and a weeks vacation (I think that adds up to about 9 streight days of fishing).

Did anyone fish this weekend?

Fred A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2001, 04:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

No fishing today and only a few hours last weekend, but yesterday I ended up hitting Nauset with Jimmy and Nick Svencer for the afternoon. Surf was kind in the beginning, I got into a schoolie tear for a little while but could not find mr big stripes. We walked around as the tide and factors like jetski's dictated and Jimmy found a nice 34" fat summer fish. Nick snapped a photo, it should be one of those gorgeous shots with the fisherman's sky overhead and the surf, etc. He then proceeded to hook up again, this time looking like a bigger fish (to me anyway, standing next to him) but all that vacation-fishing time had wear and tear on his leader I guess and the big fish parted with a special fly he was fishing. His daughter asked him to tie the fly, and wanted to keep it but reluctantly let Jim take it fishing. The fly was hot, despite short lived. Funny how those killer flies always have a special background.

Although the catching could have been better, Jimmy had a couple good "at bats" and the water we fished was to striper fishing what a blue ribbon stream is to trout fishing.

I guess being a life saver (Jim is a veteran fire fighter) gets you a couple extra credits with the big guy upstairs, sure seemed that way yesterday. Goes along with Pete Gray's 44" too. Jim it was my pleasure to fish with you again buddy, enjoy the rest of your visit to Cape Cod!
Old 08-12-2001, 04:47 PM
President of CAC

Sorry I was not able to go with you guys but I am glad Jim hit having struck out with me earlier that morning on South Beach. I did take a drive up to see Harry Koons at Nauset Anglers and saw you cars in his parking lot and he indicated that you guys were still out there. This morning we went to south beach and Jimmy and I hooked up with BoB Pink. Jim left early and at the middle of the outgoing about 8 AM we started to hit on to schoolies. Jack White joined us .So we did not get the skunk. My thinking is that the only problem was that the tide was all wrong for the area. The large sand bar about a mile down is basically gone and replaces with a lower but larger bar and great holes.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:38 AM

Fished local waters Saturday and caught a fat schoolie in Southie. We are lucky here in*Boston to have stripers in the harbor . What a great city.
FishHawk
Old 08-13-2001, 08:12 AM

After the rip trip was cancelled I decided to head to Newport again this weekend and it may have been the best decision I've made all season. I fished the rocks at Brenton point pretty much all day and although the bluefish blitz that went on all day a few hundred yards out at the reef only moved inshore for about 20 minutes, I caught bass consistently all day. Most of the fish were in the 25" to 35" range, with the biggest being 36"ish and on stray schoolie of about 16" being the smallest fish of the day. One interesting thing is that the fish I got in the morning on the rising tide seemed to be a different school of fish from the fish I got on the drop in the afternoon. All the morning fish were dark green, while the afternoon fish were monomoy-like blondies. I didn't get any blues, but a spinfisherman showed up for about 1/2 an hour and got a few on a plug, including one 34 incher that went to the smoker.

If you're thinking about giving it a shot out there, it's some very slick rocks, so I wouldn't even consider it without some sort of steel cleats. I saw a couple of spectators go down on the rocks behind me throughout the course of the day and with the size of the surf lately a fall close to the water could be tragic.

Overall it was by far my best day of the season. All fish were taken on a 2/0 chart over white bucktail deciever. Other flies might've worked, but I never had any reason to change.

Thanks to the guys at Saltwater edge who gave me the last of the store's supply of 20lb flouro on saturday morning, I needed it on a few of those fish.

-Matt
Old 08-13-2001, 04:25 PM

Fished Saturday morn. early, out behind stoney dike at the west end of the canal in Buzzards Bay. 5 small (14" to 18") stripers and 1 blue fish of about 26", glad to see the small stripes and the blue put on a high flying act that made my day. Although, all I could think about were those 40"+ cows at the Rip I been hearing about, (drooling,drooling,drooling...) I had two other hookups on the blues, before I changed over to a wire leader,but lost both along with some nice flies. I now know how to rig for teeth, I think ! That should come in handy this WE ! ay boys?
Old 08-14-2001, 06:12 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Juro,
Thanks so much for the trip this weekend. I really plan on getting that pass now. It was so awesome out there. Another world, yet just across from the one we know so well. You'll get your keeper this weekend, I'm sure.

Jimmy,
That fish was a fat 34" fish. I'll get the pics developed soon, couple more left on the roll. When they are, I'll be sure to post'em up. It was good to meet you, hope to fish again with you soon.

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.