Off topic, Cell phone? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 11:14 AM

Question Off topic, Cell phone?

I've been a luddite in getting a cell phone and now face the high probability that I will have to get one. So I ask the informed tech gadgeteers of the forum, what services are needed from the phone Co, and what features are needed on the phone.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 AM

John - I was one of those "I'll never buy a cellphone" guys until last year. Of course, I broke down and needed to get one for work. They can also be immensely handy when you're running late or need to change your pick-up time on the RipRyder.

They can be as simple or as complicated as you need them to be. Mine has voice recog dialing, ping pong, txt messaging etc but I never even figured out how to use these features and have no desire to.

My suggestion would be to hunt around online, get a deal where the phone is free (mine was) and don't sign a contract for longer than one year. I have voicestream which has excellent customer service but poor coverage (VS does not pick up analog signal). Therefore I will switch carriers so I can get recption in the mountains, on the slopes, busting poachers or whatever. I try to keep it simple whenever possible

Good luck,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Golden Trout Guardian

John

Here's my .02 for what it's worth. I have had a wireless phone (actually I have 3 right now / private, work, and work nextel)since the early days since I am a technophile and have learned some hard lessons about different phones. The one phone that I would recomend would be the motorola flip phone series because of it's durability and reception range. Granted it does not have all the bells and whistles of some other phones ie.. games, funky rings and the ability to change covers but like a timex it takes a licking and keeps ticking and in my business that is really important. Oh and get the insurance for the phone too !!!

As for which carrier to get it will depend on what you want to do with your phone but make sure you SHOP around since most carriers will require at least a years sign up time.

Tight Lines & Shiny Sides
Old 03-06-2003, 02:02 PM

A view from someone who puts 600-700 minutes

(during business hours no less!) on a cell phone per month I've found two things: 1. you'll use far more minutes per month than you think if the word "business phone" is anywhere in the equation. 2. Most home areas are far smaller than you'd think and then you're into "roaming." This is where they stick it to you in the shorts.

"Free long distance" is a great addition (don't think I've made more that two LD calls a month on my home phone), but do get a service (such as AT&T's, but I'm sure there are others) that has 'free roaming AND free long distance).

Forgot to add: several "plans" have multi state coverage with the roaming/LD included in the basic monthly fee. Mine covers the 7 western States. Don't get into a 'different state" all that often but the 'free roaming/LD' will save you a ton of bucks.
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 03-06-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:05 PM
President of CAC

All I can say is I am happy with Sprint...no dropped calls ever.. and that is a good thing!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:16 PM

How quaint

I was never convinced I would ever use a cell phone, then someone said " try explaining to your grandchildren how you used to phone a building and ask to speak to someone."

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 03-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Bass Assassin

I've been with Sprint for a while now. Their reception seems to be patchy in places. When i'm 30 miles north of home fishing, i'm in roaming territory. Although, a few weeks ago I got a signal standing in a field out in the boonies of east texas. Weird.

I'd get a phone w/ a vibrating ringer and caller id. Voicemail is also nice, and is usally part of the deal.

I pay about $30 a month for my plan.

Neil
Old 03-06-2003, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replys so far. I'm still formulating the requirements and will get back with more questions.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Jonesin...

Coverage

John,
In my opion coverage is the most important factor. After that are rate plans. Any company will offer everything else. I used to live in Marlboro, MA and found that Sprint had lousy coverage once you crossed 495. I have been with Verizon for about 3 years now and have really no complaints. With their America's Choice plan you have very few times you will roam and pay no long distance. My biggest reccomendation would be to ask everyone you know in your area about what company they use and any issues they have with coverage. I think just about every phone vibrates, has voicemail and most have voice dialing, which are the only features I really use.

Sean
Old 03-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I second the Verizon recommendations... I am surprised to see that I actually out-talk Fred on my cell plan

Here's my take:

It's hard to track your minutes, so get into a plan that gives you enough. It's cheaper than paying minutes over the limit.

Get a national plan that lets you call from anywhere you need to without roaming charges. Verizon charges the same within a huge national area encompassing populated areas of most if not all metro areas. For the first time I was able to call from Minneapolis, Seattle, or Logan with the comfort of great reception and no additional charges for being out of the area. I even called while driving from Forks Washington, a remote logging town on the Olympic Peninsula, with crystal clear reception to Boston w/o a hitch.

Verizon has the biggest coverage area period. You will get a signal in more places with them than any other carrier.

To hang on to my old cell phone number, I held on to another carrier for several years. That mistake cost me thousands of dollars over the years I had it in extra charges, roaming, out of home area charges, etc. I could have bought a nice little skiff with all that money I pissed away.

Verizon works for me, I am extremely happy since I switched over.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Don't forget you usually get 2 weeks or so to try the phone out and can return it within in that time and not break the contract. TAKE IT EVERYWHERE in those two weeks. If you like it keep it, if it is not working well, take it back.

The amout of variety in cell phone coverage from plan to plan is amazing. It may be a pain, but its worth it in the long run.

Also, the variety in cell phone reception from phone to phone on the same plan is pretty big too. I personally have had GREAT luck with samsung phones on the sprint network. Their coverage is great as long as you're near a populated area. Only place I've had a problem is in upstate VT while skiing, and it works on and off there. I'm kind of a cell phone dork, I could probably write for hours about the latest ones coming out, technology options, coverage, plans, but I'll stop here. Funny thing is it has no relation to my business at all.

Nick
Old 03-06-2003, 03:42 PM

what Juro said

I echo Juro's comments re Verizon - the only cell carrier I know of that provides coverage in the tram on the way to the summit of Jay Peak.

I'm ditching Voicestream/T-Mobile tomorrow and making the switch. Too many dropped calls and dead spots.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:15 PM
JD

cell phones

Most all plans with any carrier will give you a cell phone for free. The catch is, you usually have to sign a contract for one or two years and they are usually entry level phones. You will probably want/need a three way phone, analog, digital, and SAS or whatever that "other" system is that is used on the East coast. They switch automatically to whatever system is available no matter where you are, so the coverage is much better. Get a really good phone to start with because there is absolutly NO value for a used cell phone.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:35 PM

John,

Don't sell out. Be strong!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

I put between 1500 and 2000 minutes per month on my cell phone with work.

I've had Cingular, Verizon and now Nextel. I really like Nextel for work becuase of the walkie-talkie feature. Obviously, your friends or co-workers would need Nextel for you to realize any benefit. More than a few of my friends have Nextel as well so it works out quite well.

Cingular dropped many calls, Verizon was really good so I gave that Motorola phone to my wife when I switched to Nextel. I've had no complaints with the new phone so far. The walkie-talkie feature is supposed to go nationwide sometime soon so that will help. My current plan has unlimited walkie-talkie minutes, unlimited night & weekend minutes, free long distance and 1000 peak minutes all for $55.

Also, bear in mind, you can donate your old cell phones to organizations that provide for battered women. You need no type of cellular contract/service to dial 911. Any cell phone with battery power can call 911 at any time. They provide them to women in case the scumbags they're involved with decide to beat them again. You help them out and get a tax write off.

I also can endorse Motorola flip phones. All Nextel phones are Motorola models. As for games, I spend enough time on that damn phone without playing Tetris.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.