Hey Kush--broken tubes - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Recent Member

Hey Kush--broken tubes

Since Kush has posted as many tube flies as anyone else I'll direct but not limit this post to him. Believe me if anyone has some advice, please help me.

The problem is the tube bodies keep breaking about 3/4 of the way up on the fly after just a short time of use. The first time or two I just shrugged it off but it has become a regular occurence. The tube stock is cut to 1 1/8 inch long, is 1/8 inch O.D., white in color, and purchased at the local hobby shop, the stuff they use on their model trains. This was my source since I really wanted to avoid the high price in the flyshop if I could help it but 10 minutes use of a 30 minute tie is no bargain either.

If this has happened to anyone and you found a cure, please post it because I'm about to swear off tube flies.

Thanks

RT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2003, 09:01 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Rando,

The problem is likely that the tube material is brittle. I think I am familiar with the tube material you are referring to. I know I had similar problems when I used the stems of hollow Q-Tips.

What I use now is truck air-brake hose that Dana buys by the 10 or 20' roll from an auto supply shop. The stuff is black and can be a body for a dark fly all by itself. I use it for most of my tubes. I have recently used some very fine diameter graphite tubes that a rod designer friend of mine gave me - it is very sweet material - but I don't imagine it will be widely available.

If I were you I would switch from the brittle tube material and try to find a material that is a little more supple.

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 02-26-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:02 PM

Kush is On

Rando,
You can gen good makings at any auto supply store. The black works great.

If you do a search you can find a number of threads with ideas of other acceptable material.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.