SO. Oregon - June - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2003, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
SO. Oregon - June

Anybody have any reccomendations on fishing sothern oregon in early june?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 07:46 PM
JD

So Oregon

If you are talking Medford area, Fred Evans is the one to talk to. Give him a PM or wait a day or two. He will see this and give you the latest on the Rogue.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:14 PM

I am doing a roadtrip back home from college. Any type of help would be appreciated.
I know I am going to fish the N Umpqua and the Rogue as they provide a sentimental connection to a late friend. I will probably also fish the Deschutes but other than that I am not sure. Probably some stuff in norcal
Old 03-05-2003, 10:58 PM

OREGON

Good evening,
A few sugestions I might make if Trout are on your dance card;
1- South Umpqua, just downstream from Jackson Creek, I had real good luck here last year just before season end.
2- Tenmile Lakes just north of Coos Bay and Siltcoos Lake just south of Florence are good bets for stillwater action along Oregon's beautifull coastline.
ODFW regs. book is free at most sports stores, so get one and bone up before you hit the water. Have fun on your trip and welcome to the Forum!
Deerhawk
Old 03-22-2003, 04:58 AM

3D, this one slid right under my radar.

If you're through any place that cuts the Rogue in June you'll be in the middle of the Spring King run. Last year over 45,000 kings went through the fish counter just north of Medford. Bigger than typical year which is more like 30-35,000 fish.
fae
Old 03-23-2003, 11:34 PM

fred-
Thank you for the reply. What would you give me for chances of hooking up with a springer? I will be on foot but can cast well. DO i need to hire a guide to have a chance or would you think that I can wade certain stretches of the river that would be productive?
Thanks for the help
\david
Old 03-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Springers are not out of the question, just look for water where your fly can dance in the currents longer than usual on the hang down and do this in a spot where the butterballs are holding. I've had great mornings and evenings and I've been skunked for a week with a river boiling with them; it's very inconsistent but they can be had - just work them where you get maximum hangtime with the fly in the currents and one will move up and take it down.

As far as fly I've had them grab everything to tiny peach dubbed mallard hackle spiders to big muddler headed leeches so I can't say there's any magic in what I was doing in the fly dept. When they wanted it, they wanted it.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:50 AM

Dave if you're fly fishing a guide would be

a waste of $. None of them up here really run fly guys for the springers. (I'm sure there may an exception, but it would be a "special request" type of trip.)

Lots of fly accessable water but be ready to use HEAVY sink tips (Teeny lines for single handers or RIO big boys for spey rods). The Kings hug the bottom up here and you're on the bottom, or your into casting practice. Heavy tips are necessary as the water flow are kept in the 2500 cfs (sounds low for many rivers, but a LOT of water in the Rogue) to pull the fish up stream and keep the water as cold as possible. By June it can be darned warm in this area; the warming water in the middle stretchs stress' the fish and makes them very suseptible (sp?) to a water born disease.... and a potentially high fish kill.

If you deside to "do the Kings," let me know and I'll provide you with good maps showing the better places for working fly rods.

fae
Old 03-25-2003, 03:02 PM

Fred,

Another Rogue steelhead angler stated to me last weekd, as you do above, that no one fishes for the kings with flys, too hard every one uses gear for them. I told him I know a fellow who does it consistently with the fly, you. He has not responded back to me yet.

PM Out
Old 03-25-2003, 03:36 PM

Hal, your guy is 99.999% correct.

Minimal number of folks up here who use spey rods and one handers and lead chuckers are usually a crummy mix. Usually take the lead guys about 2 minutes flat to pick up on the fact that spey rods and line control are a good mix.

Very rare that I'll get mixed up with someone elses line; the other fellows can get "Mono un Mono" mixed up 'pdq.'
fae
Old 03-25-2003, 04:00 PM

Yep, I was spey fishing in the middle of 5 gear casters last week, and as soon as they saw how well I controlled the drift and was not false casting all over the place near them, they were cool with me. The steelie addict kid (canadian float rodder), I was next to, even made a nice comment saying he usually does not like being near the fly guys. But I was OK.

PM Out
Old 03-25-2003, 06:27 PM
removed_by_request

Can't blame him for not liking being near fly guys. A good lot of them are elitist snobs.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:18 PM

fred thank you very much for the offer. I would really like to give it a try for a day or two so I will get in touch with you as the time nears. Thank you for the help. I look forward to chasing some kings.
I have caught quite a few salmon in the late summer and fall on the Olympic Pen. but only on one river.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:40 AM

Cool by me D3 ...

You know where/how to contact me when 'you're good to go.'
fae
Old 03-26-2003, 08:16 AM

MJYP

Not me I mix right in with the good old boys of Michigan, Indiana, and every wheres else for that matter. Remember I lived right on the Michigan line north of South Bend for 7 years, I know those fellows. Not having the orvis, simms, patagonia, scott, sage etc patches all over you helps and the most expensive looking outer wear, etc.... Does not help you catch fish any way, skill and knowledge do though.

I may be a corporate big city guy but inside I am all country.

PM Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.