Salisbury Area? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2003, 02:10 PM

Salisbury Area?

Greetings to all;

I'm going to do some poking around during a low tide one of these weekends and I'm interested in exploring the Salisbury side of the Merrimac River. I'm wondering about the little "stream" just upriver of the Toothpick. Has anyone fished this area? Are there crouds of fisherpeople around the Toothpick? I did a forum search and found some information, but I'd like to get more as I plan my vacation time for this May. I would love to find some new spots.

Bill
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Late last season (I mean very late) the beachfront on the Salsbury side really produced. NOt sure about the creek, but there can be good fishing right on the corner of it by the 'Pick. Maybe Dale H. can chime in.

Bill, good to hear from you.

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM

Hi Lefty;

I hope you are well. I know we keep bumping into eachother on Plum Island (your leaving and I'm arriving). Maybe we can do some fishing together this spring. I'm really curious about the toothpick on Salisbury. I just can't wait, the anticipation is KILLING me! We relocated to the Worcester area from NJ this past fall, so I plan to do alot more fishing in the area this season.

Bill
Old 03-04-2003, 03:29 PM

Broche....I live in Paxton, Ma., just North of Worcester.....if ever you are looking for a partner for Salisbury, Plum Island or Chatham....just give me a holler. I usually fish Plum Island area when tides are not right at Chatham. Available almost anytime (weekdays/weekends). Semi retired and set my own schedule. Work days never occur during mid day high tides at Chatham

Ron
Old 03-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Hi Ron;

Let's get together for some fishing! I'm happy to be back in New England (although I miss NJ!). I plan on taking a few weekdays in mid-May for some stripers. Have you fished Salisbury at all?

Bill
Old 03-04-2003, 05:41 PM

Bill - Up there, the crowds are where you find them.

That whole little area is kinda fun to fish but watch it on the rocks, if you get stranded you might take a beating getting back...if the rip don't get ya.

I also did some 'sploring this year with good results. Feel free to give a shout sometime.

TMS
Old 03-04-2003, 08:40 PM

Hi Bill, Anytime you're interested, just email me and we can exchange phone numbers. Where near Worcester are you?
I have fished Plum Island (river), and Joppa Flats but not Salisbury. Last year I started at Chatham Light (point and tub areas) the 3rd week of May. Tub area had tailing bluefish for at least 2 weeks, caught a 10 and 12 pounder off the flats.....nasty but fun creatures! 9 stripers in one day off point but only one over 30 inches, rest......schoolies. It's hard to beat Chatham/South Beach and Monomoy on a sunny day.
Willing to try anywhere!!! Have even considered Connecticut in April pending reports of action from our "southern"collegues.
Hopefully you know Plum Island better than me....I've done OK there, but everytime I go there, someone always says: "you should have been here yesterday"
So maybe if we plan a "yesterday' .....
Old 03-05-2003, 08:34 AM

Hi Paxton;

We are currently residing in Westborough. I love to fish Plum Island, although I prefer it there in the pouring rain, as these conditions tend to "thin-out" the crouds. I have had some of those "yesterdays" where I simply lose count. I have had both of my thumbs ripped up, my body so exhausted and cold, that I have sat down behind someone just to watch him/her fish. I remember this one individual with a surface plug, and it was so interesting to watch the stripers follow it, with their dorsal spines out of the water, right up to our feet! I have also been skunked on occasion as well. Anyhow, let's fish! My email is rochew@excite.com. I'm tying flies pretty furiously now, and the only other thing I need to do is get the reel spooled. Other than that, I'm ready!

Bill
Old 03-05-2003, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty
Late last season (I mean very late) the beachfront on the Salsbury side really produced. NOt sure about the creek, but there can be good fishing right on the corner of it by the 'Pick.
Lefty
Terry W - a certified lying fisherman!

Don't listen to him, that's where all the fish were this season - all season instead of on the Cape!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:27 AM

All right Bill, back in New England! Welcome home. PI is certainly a jewell with a wide variety of opportunities. I could show you a few more. Then there's Cape Ann in the fall, oh boy just wait!

As for Roop: hmmmm....didn't hear a thing about Mecca last season. That can only mean one of 2 things.

Lefty (who just ordered new waders)
Old 03-05-2003, 10:30 AM

You are correct - the real and truthful answer - only 2 rats pulled from there!!

Dredging & dumping of sand ruined the area.

That's why I'm motorized. You & I need to schedule a day on my ride to recreate our day with Art - except for the swimming part.

Roop
Old 03-06-2003, 06:15 AM

BRoche,
The area you mention is a great early season spot.
Very wadeable from the Toothpick right on upcreek past the boat ramp. The area is great for fly casting.
As the season progresses, the toothpick will get covered with the anchored boats and bait guys.
It is best on a dropping tide....say two hours before low to low tide.
BTW...I live in Salisbury.
If you need more info, shoot me an email.
Doug B.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.