Your favorite fly tying book - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Marine Scientist

Your favorite fly tying book

We have quite a few truly gifted tiers in our midst, and I know that many of us, including myself, aspire to achieve the same success with the patterns of utmost interest. The last few years have seen a multitude of fly tying books hit the shelves, and it's from these books that many of us without access to a local tier able to demonstrate must turn. Some of these books are much better than others, and I was wondering what everyone's favorite tying books are, and for what reasons? If you tie flies for various fishing situations (i.e. saltwater in the Northeast or Southeast, steelheading, salmon, trout, bass, etc.), feel free to list one or two books for each. This would be great info for those that are relatively new to tying and want to get some good instruction that they can refer to at home when sitting at the vice.

For me...
Saltwater - Pop Fleyes by Ed Jaworowski and Bob Popovics. I've learned to tie so many unique patterns from this book, it has turned my tying completely around (with practice, of course). By far the best $35 I ever spent for tying purposes.
Also, I like Klausmeyer's book on tying contemporary fly patterns. It really helps to see tying steps, particularly for the Puglisi fly.

Freshwater - Bob Pops book again, since I fish for large freshwater species that go after the same flies as many saltwater species.

Last edited by flyfisha1; 03-06-2003 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Fly chucker

For saltwater, I couldn't agree more with your choice of the Popovics book. It's excellent.

For freshwater, Randall Kaufman's Tying Dry Flies and Tying Nymphs are very good. Each has a series of demonstration patterns, and an index of other patterns that can be tied with the same methods learned in the demonstrations. In addition, Kaufman's company is a Forum sponsor. Check them out at www.kman.com

For other freshwater fish, I basically freelance and adopt techniques and ideas from just about anywhere. I too use Popovics patterns in fresh water, particularly for bass and pike. And to think I was the only one doing that.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:58 AM

Easy question for me. Trey Combs old dog eared copy

of his first steelhead fly fishing book. This, like a few others, can be opened to any page at random for some great read. Some things never change.

fae

PS: Video's would be Lannie Wallers three vid's on steelhead fishing.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:01 PM

That Trey Coombs first Steelhead Fly Fishing book is one of my cherished first books on steelhead flies and fly fishing bought in 1980 or 81. It started all of this madness.

Pm Out
Old 03-04-2003, 12:37 PM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
My two Cents worth

I would have to agree on the starting of the madness. Trey Combs started me on the quest for summer runs on the fly...I haven't looked back since.

However as for my favorite techniques book...I have got to say the Fly Tiers Benchside reference guide by Leesom and Schollmeyer.....I have been tying now for 35 yrs , I am 43 now and more obsessed than ever.

A little pricey as books go, but I learn something new everytime I pick it up.

Jake

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 01:09 PM
removed_by_request

For me it's John Shewey's book on Spey flies.

Very nicely written with great how to tie and color pix for many of the most popular flies.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Here are my three favorites.

Hair-Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies
by Keith Fulsher, Charles Krom

The Complete Book of Fly Tying
by Eric Leiser

The Versatile Fly Tyer
by Dick Talleur

I learned to tie from Eric Leiser's book. I am find everything I need for atlantic salmon flies in the Fulsher-Krom book. I always find something useful in The Versatile Fly Tyer.

CK
Old 03-04-2003, 02:38 PM

Another couple of favorite fly tying books are:

Randall Kauffmans - Nymph Fly Tying Manual
Kent Helvie - Steelhead Fly Tying
Joe Bates - Streamers The Big Fish Flies
K. Fulsher & Charles Krom - Hair Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies

Have the J. Shewey - spey Fly book but undecided on it yet. I guess its because I can't see tying beautiful spey flies like that to throw into the log jam holes out here. 1-3 casts and their life is probably over.

PM Out
Old 03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
removed_by_request

Don't see many of them(logjams) on the Mo' or Man. Lots of nice open water.

If you are talking the PM proper spey fishing is not done there. Unless you are float (indicator) fishing with your spey rod.

Guess it boils down to how cheap you are.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:34 PM

Books....

I "learned" from a pamphlet that was included in an "el cheapo" fly tying kit that my parents got me for Christmas as a kid. I had really wanted one for a long time. (The vise that was included consisted of a bent piece of 3/8 inch metal rod, with a 3/16 inch bolt in the bottom to clamp it on the table, and a 3/16 inch knurled bolt with a couple of washers on it to "hold" the fly. Better than nothing - but not much!) My fancy Maine streamers were really in demand, too, especially with a few guys who went for "ice-out" lakers with the fly rod.

But I learned, and quickly. And a lot of guys even paid me to tie 'em flies.

Anyway, Kaufman's books are good, and I have them, along with a lot of pattern books.

Now, I keep it to a few simple and very good patterns that work.

BobK
Old 03-04-2003, 04:35 PM

"Trout & Salmon Flies for Ireland" by Pete O'Rieley (sp) - I don't tie much from it but every plate is chuck full of beautiful flies that are more akin to artful interpretations instead of the American philosophy of exactly imitating bugs. No, a "Dog Knobbler" isn't listed.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:38 PM
President of CAC

Boy this is hard... I have to say since I am into saltwater fishing..Four books come to mind... Lefty"s book on saltwater patterns is a must for the number of flies in there... also Dick Browns Bone fish flies, Bob Pop's book and Bob Veverkas Innovative flies... general book would be the Bench side Reference which is a must for ALL tyers which is mentioned above in another thread... I also have to say that I am starting to accumulate some freashwater books for later tying... I bought two of A.K Best's books... AK's Fly Box and Advanced fly tying. Trey Combs Book on Blue water fishing has great patterns for the Sea Habits, and other great saltwater flies that can be used in shore as well. Finally for my streamer's there is Carrie Stevens Book which has great photo's of how to.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Pullin' Thread

Without hesitation the three books that come to mind are Talleur's "Versitile Fly Tyer", Jorgeson's "Salmon Flies: Character, Style and Dressing", and Leeson and Schollmeyer's Benchside Reference". These three will show you and talk you through how to tie virtually any style of fly from simple dubbed nymphs to full dressed feather wings.

To this I would add Veverka's book and Helen Shaw's book. Then I would add Chris Helm's video on tying with deer hair.

If you really want to get into learning more about tying and expanding your library with some rather expensive books, start buying the Flyfisher's Classic Library editions of no longer in print classics on trout and salmon tying and fishing.

I have a rather large tying library with some 45 books in it. Some are very good, some are good pattern references but no good as tying references, some are priceless specialized gems like Kelson's "Salmon Fly" and "Land and Water Salmon Flies" or Blacker's book or Schwiebert's "Matching the Hatch".

The best thing to do is buy the three I mentioned first and then buy whatever strikes your fancy as you go along. There is a wealth of information of tying and tying techniques in print. Some are very good, some are pretty awful. but all usually have someting of value in them.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:29 PM

Atlantic Salmon Flies : Joseph D. Bates Jr.

and one more, for memory lane, cost me $1.50 back in 1960;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circa1960.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1635  
Old 03-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Marine Scientist

Just picked up a couple of books on-line; $28 for Veverka's book, and $22 for George Roberts' book, both new. Not bad, $50 for both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.