Trout - Opening Day Madness - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2003, 11:13 AM

Trout - Opening Day Madness

fyi

Have not had to deal with this in 23 years since moving to GLs country since most andramous trout and salmon rivers are open 7 X 24.

I don't think I see any fly fisherman in this picture either.

Did trout opening days when a kid in Northern NJ and NYS, but I bet it has been at least 35 years since I fished a trout opening day and never had to contend with crowds like this

PM Out

http://newstribune.com/stories/03020...0302030931.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 04:01 PM

OPENING DAY

Good afternoon,
Two word's, Backcountry Flyfishing. That was a sizable glove that guy caught though
Deerhawk
Old 03-02-2003, 04:53 PM

Location: Stilly,Sky,And anything that flows into Puget sound
I haven't fished an opening day in at least 15 years. The local lakes have so many boats on them that you could walk from shore to shore and not get your feet wet. Thank god for skinny water and places that other people don't know about.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Marine Scientist

Man, that's just sick. I remember opening day in South Jersey as a kid: shores lined with half-asleep people, each with several rods apiece, all waiting to throw the worm-baited-hook into the water near the bank and pull out the essentially brain-dead stocked 8" rainbows as soon as 6 am came. To me, that's not really fishing, it's more like trying to swat a fly with a buick.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:44 PM

I remember this madness.....

Opening day in NY was always early April (as of the last few years, now fixed at 4/1). B.S. (before Great Lakes steelies), I always had to make the season opener. Usually on smaller streams, and usually in a snow or sleet storm. Yeah, I caught fish, had fun, and always appreciated the warmth when I got home.

But one year, I fished Catherine Creek, a "trib" of one of the finger lakes this was NYs early trib for lake run rainbows (which we now call "steelies"). Yeah, it was cold, and yeah, it was MOBBED! That was my last attempt at fishing first and last attempt at fishing a crowded stream. I hated it, and vowed "never again"!

BobK
Old 03-03-2003, 08:11 AM

I have to admit that I kinda miss opening day. As one who customarily fishes alone it was one of the few social fishing occassions I had. Admittedly I never fished in crowds like those shown in the picture in the article Hal referenced.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:07 AM

Bobk

I always wanted to fish Catherine Creek for those big lake run bows, but never got to. Do they still have them their ?

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 03-03-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:26 AM

YUP!

They are still there, unfortunately the state has "improved" the stream (Flood Control, I guess), and the stream is recovering. This was the first place I witnessed the mob with some snaggers present. Fortunately, wardens had a field day arresting people.

Presently, the old runs are still good (but fish on the small side compared to a GL fishery). Grout Brook (Skaneatles lake), Naples Creek (Canandaigua Lake), several streams feeding Cayuga Lake, Catherine (Seneca Lake) and any other streams feeding any of the finger lakes have these runs.

The mobs have thinned to a degree, as well - but they are TOO crowded for my tastes.

Now I confine my fishing to weekdays to avoid the crowds. BTW, Wednesday is the best day for this - too early for the "early weekenders", and too late for the "late weekenders".

BobK

Old 03-03-2003, 09:43 AM

Tuesday and Wednesday are good, they have had some time to calm down from the weekend warrior battering. Although the guides are on them every day during the peak of the runs.

I wonder what these Missouri trout fisherman would do if I showed up with 13 foot spey rod and asked to squeeze in and give me some room to cast ?

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 03-03-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
i went out opening day and i was surprised to see another guy there well at least he was ff and he told me what he was using we fished side by side on a pool in a spring creek. later that day i went to a pond that is spring feed and caught a brookie on a griffith's gnat

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 03-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Recent Member

Opening Day

I usually take the first week of March as holiday so I can fish the Wisconsin opener. However, the weather forecast was for much colder weather, so I went out on Saturday. It was not very crowded, and I shared my favorite stream with a few others. Yes, the fish were biting. My usual nymphs were very productive. All in all, a very enjoyable day.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:29 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
same hear paul as a matter of fact it is snowing as i write this

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
_

That reminds me of the annual fishing derby I used to attend as a kid, which was limited to fishermen 15 yrs old or younger. They used to put 2,500 (sometimes more!) trout into a 2 acre pond and had prizes for the first 3 people to catch a tagged trout each day. They always tossed in a few big fish as well. It was a blast despite the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds and the cross-pond line tangles. I really looked forward to going to that derby every spring. Now I generally try to avoid fishing in crowds, especially when I'm using the fly rod.

Q
Old 03-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Recent Member

That's just not right. I used to fish with my dad in areas where we had maybe a crowd half that size. It was terrible. A person would hook a fish, and the guy next to you would get pissed if the fish crossed his line. I never went back.

I never fish opening day anymore. We make the trip to the cabin every year for opening day, but we rarely fish. At least I don't think we did...I can't seem to remember that much of those weekends.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:19 PM
CantAnchorUs

I wouldn`t miss opening day for all the tea in China. It`s not the fishing that matters, it`s the celebration of a new season. It`s the campfire breakfast and the story of the guy that fell in. It`s meeting old friends and making new ones and a toast to them that have gone on to scout ahead for new fishing holes. It`s the greatest circus on Earth and I haven`t missed one in 40 yrs. If you think it`s just about the fishing you`re missing the best parts.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.