UP, (NOT BENDBACK HOOKS). THERE ARE SEVERAL ADVANTAGES IN TYPING WITH THIS
STYLE.
1. THE HOOK IS HIDDEN IN THE BODY OF THE FLY
2. THE FLY IS ALMOST WEEDLESS
3. YOU CAN TIE FLIES WITH A DEEPER BODY PROFILE
4. YOU CAN HIDE A LARGE HOOK IN A RELATIVELY SMALL FLY--BFT-

HERE IS A PHOTO OF SEVERAL BUNKER TYPE FLIES
http://[/IMG]

Last edited by flyaweigh; 11-21-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 11:51 PM
President of CAC

Yes..that's a good point. I have not tied too many with the hook up except for clouser flies and flies like the deep sand eel. But I agree that there are significant advantages by tying it that way. I may try a couple freather brains that way or even some small epoxy flies with the hook up. I like the idea of the disguise more than the other benefits.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Recent Member

Hey Flyaweigh....Those are some sharp looking flies. Could you please post the materials and directions for tying them or e-mail me that information at metzpetit@aol.com Really sharp flies.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:23 AM

Hi Stan;

Those flies look great. In years past I have experimented with the same notion and came up with a fly that I was very happy with. I weighted the shank of the hook to make it swim properly (with the hook point riding up) and when I fished it, it didn't swim properly. I kept redesigning it (adding slight bends, moving weight around) and tested it in the bathtub but could not get it right. How do you keep the fly swimming properly?

Bill
Old 03-01-2003, 10:37 AM

Stan,
Very cool flies. Smitty has pointed out the heavy shank version for BBFT. I don't have the heavy fly equipment to tackle the tuna but I am interested in their little cousins. I wasn't able to make your tying class a while back but got some good tips at your session in Marlborough.

I would like to know more about tying this pattern. I'll pick one up at Smitty's so I have something to compare my attempts against. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Recent Member

TYING INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOOK UPS

HI JASPER
BELOW IS A HANDOUT I USE IN MY TYING CLASSES WITH A MATERIALS LIST
IMPORTANT TYING DETAILS:
WHEN APPLYING THE TAIL, WRAP IT PART WAY DOWN THE BEND OF THE HOOK, THIS WILL MAKE IT POINT UP AND CREATE DRAG ABOVE THE WEIGHT OF THE HOOK.
WHEN WRAPPING THE BODY MATERIAL TOWARD THE EYE OF THE HOOK, STOP APPROX 1/8"BEFORE THE EYE AND WRAP THE LAST COIL OVER ITSELF ONCE, THIS WILL CREATE A BUMP THAT WILL CAUSE THE WING TO POINT UP AND CREATE MORE DRAG ABOVE THE WEIGHT OF THE HOOK.
WRAP THE WING MATERIAL IN FRONT OF THE BUMP WHICH WILL MAKE IT POINT UP
USE AS HEAVY A HOOK AS POSSIBLE, IF YOU USE A LIGHT HOOK, YOU CAN WRAP LEAD IN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BEND OF THE HOOK
USE FAIRLY STIFF MATERIAL FOR THE WING SO IT WILL NOT TANGLE IN THE POINT OF THE HOOK(ULTRA HAIR, BUCKTAIL ETC.)
BROCHE
IF YOU FOLLOW THE ABOVE DETAILS YOUR FLY SHOULD RIDE WITH THE HOOK UP, JUST MAKE SURE THE DRAG CREATED BY THE TAIL AND WING IS ABOVE THE WEIGHT OF THE HOOK, HOWEVER, I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR FLIES SWIMMING A LITTLE ERRATIC, TO A PREADATOR IT WILL LOOK LIKE AN INJURED BAITFISH AND IS LIKE RINGING THE DINNER BELL.

STANíS HOOKUP HERRING

HOOK- SIZE 1 SHORT SHANK 7756 -- GAMAKATSU SC15-- MUSTAD C68S SS

TAIL- WHITE BUCKTAIL OR WHITE ULTRA HAIR

BODY- SPARKLE BRAID (PEARL OR SILVER)

WING - PEACOCK HERL OR BLACK BUCKTAIL OVER
WHITE ULTRA HAIR OR WHITE BUCKTAIL,
SILVER FLASHABOU

GILL PLATES- SILVER ADHESIVE MYLAR

EYES- EPOXY SILVER

THREAD - CLEAR MONO

GLUE - SOFTEX

STANíS PEANUT BUNKER

HOOK- SIZE 1 SHORT SHANK

WING - BLACK POLARFIBER OR BLUE ANGEL HAIR
OVER WHITE POLAR FIBER FOUR TO ONE
RATIO WHITE TO BLACK, SILVER FLASHABOU

GILL PLATES - SILVER ADHESIVE MYLAR

EYES - SILVER EPOXY

THREAD - CLEAR MONO EXTRA FINE

GLUE - SOFTEX
Old 03-01-2003, 12:26 PM
_

Nice flies Stan,

I too have experimented with a few "point up" patterns, primarily for the weed/snag-proofing effect. I tied a juvie pogie that was basically a Clouser style fly tied with all silver flashabou and trimmed to shape. It looks pretty good to me but didn't produce very well during its somewhat limited testing. I've done a couple other "point up" flies for freshwater using superhair tied "hi tie" style on an upside-down bass bug hook. One version was quite successful but the other has yet to catch any fish even though it looks much more realistic to me.

Q
Old 03-01-2003, 01:05 PM

Great Inspiration

These are great looking flies. I'm sure the SW critters will just love them.
Keep posting the SW patterns, I adapt many of them for the big Northen Pike, while dreaming about heading out to the coast again. I'll try this one as well and will psot the results. Hopefully the Pike love them as well.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Recent Member

Flyaweigh...Thank you so much for posting the information. I will attempt to duplicate your fantastic looking flies.

FrenchCreek...I am also attempting to flyfish for pike this year. I'm here in New Jersey, where the pike are gernally alot smaller than up in your neck of the woods. I have tied some rabbit strip Dahlberg Divers and streamers for them and will give them a shot in early spring. Gotta try some of these saltwater patterns as well.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:01 PM

N.J. Pike?

I don't know how big NJ pike get, I assume some will get as large as the food chain permits. I have used many of the salt patterns, modified for increased ware & tear from pike, with great success. Many will say that the pike will take just about any fly if they get annoyed enough. I like the modified SW patterns because of their swimming action in a lake, which leads me to re-affirm that presentation and life like action will always outfish/catch the smartest of pike. For trophy pike, I use very large flies, the bigger bait seems to get the bigger fish. So don't hesitate in using flies that are in the 6-8 inch range and present a large profile. Some of them are terrible to cast but the payoff is worth it.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Marine Scientist

Not pike but pickerel

Growing up on a chain of lakes in South Jersey, we had our share of chain pickerel ranging in size up to well over 40" (and that's no fish story); they are without question my favorite freshwater fish to pursue. Large deer hair patterns work well, particularly in frog patterns and all black. Poppers in red and white (my go-to color regardless of where I'm fishing or what I'm after) were great, also. These patterns of Flyaweigh would work great if tied in a yellow perch coloration; the up-turned hook would be very helpful in staying free of hang-ups in stump beds and lily pad patches, two of the best places to chase pickerel, I have found. Great patterns! I'll be tying some of those up soon...
Old 03-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Recent Member

I'm doing most of my pike fishing for river pike...average size 3 to 5 lbs with some 10 and 12's mixed in. I really like rabbit strip flies and yellow seem to be a very popular color for pike. Since the waters I fish are fairly stained, yellow should do well. I've caught a few of the smaller pike on Clouser minnows and am looking forward to getting out soon. My biggest pike to date came March 20th, 1990....and caught on 4lb test, a noodle rod and a crappie jig. The fish went 12lbs.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs up

:eyecrazy:
Great flies Stan.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:32 PM

Great looking flies guys.

Have you ever tried tying with the Eagle Claw EC413 hooks?
They ride point up almost every time! A little funky looking as they have a 60* bend at the front but many tiers are using them - especially for crab patterns and such...
Old 03-03-2003, 01:02 PM

very nice,
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.