Coronado Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2001, 09:28 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Coronado Island

I'll be spending a few days at the Hotel Del Coronado, just outside San Diego, in late October for the Guinness national sales meeting.

I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to pack my fly rod for the trip. Any thoughts?

~Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2001, 08:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Absolutely! You could take a bonito charter out of the Marina or if you have a rental car there are a number of spots worth hitting for yellowtail (bring wasabi) up around La Jolla and Del Mar. I spent many weeks there when I was a consultant, beautiful area.

I think we have some signups from the area... anyone have advice for Mark?
Old 08-09-2001, 08:39 AM

Mark...You will be right NEAR a beautiful stretch of beach! If you don't bring your rod, you may regret leaving it home... Been there,done that. It's very near North Island Naval Air Station...I'd fly my C-5's there to support the Navy Seals and their "special boat units" based near by. DON'T PET OR ANNOY THE SEALS!
...the Navy would put us in a "contract" hotel called the Hotel Del Coronado (across the street from the "historic" Hotel Coronado...close but no cigar). Great area and lots to do!
Old 08-09-2001, 03:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There are lots of yellowtail and barracuda in the La Jolla cove area. I used to bring my kids to that beach when we vacationed down there. Divers and kayaker's would bring yellowtail (speared or baited) to shore everytime I saw them so it's bound to be pretty solid with them. If you tossed striper flies around the deep water drops at LaJolla during the off hours I'll bet you a fish taco that you will hit something big.

The Coronado beach is gorgeous, I took my family there while vacationing. There is a gold mica spec in the sand and at sunset you see why they call it the gold coast.

I am certain there is some good fishing to be had for those who look. Look for tidal outflows and inlets with deep water coming to shore where there is bait and target off hours with moving current on the top side of the tide.

Most are into live bait or offshore big game so I believe you would be on the leading edge. If they knew what we striper hounds know about inshore gamefish they'd be flingin' flies too.

Go for it, be a pioneer!

Contacts:

Capt. Conway Bowman
(619)-286-4625
http://www.bowmanbluewater.com

San Diego Fly Shop
(619)283-3445

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.