Gar flies and leaders - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2003, 11:35 PM
"chicks dig scars"

Gar flies and leaders

I have been doing some limited research on flying for gar. The waters i haunt here in kentucky are full of gar. Does anyone have any tips on leaders or preferred methods? I have landed several while fishing for smallies, always with a dry fly such as a damsel or foam hopper? Could a musky or walleye leader set up serve the same functions for these warm water giants? Ant tips or thoughts welcome!!!

( i know, i know...GAR? Well, don't knock it til you try it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 AM
Marine Scientist

We have a fairly plentiful gar population here in Georgia, as well; the fish rise every so often, presumably to get some air, and many is the time that I've frantically tried to get a popper in front of one's face, but have not gotten any takers on that front. Spinning tackle is another matter, however, and a heavy monofilament leader was always my first line of defense, as steel leader seemed to turn the fish off. Typically I used a 20-lb. test leader with 8-lb. spooled. Granted, these were 36" and under spotted gar, so if you're going for some larger monsters you might think about using 30-lb. mono or greater. Good luck, and be sure to post some pics if you land one of these prehistoric fish!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:27 AM

Fred - cool! I hope you get one and can post some pics. I think you might have a hard time getting advice on this one because I dobt many people know how big they are, if they are toothy, etc. Maybe if you can describe the general behavior of the fish. Deep or shallow dwellers? What do they eat, etc?

Really cool stuff and sounds like an excellent adventure.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Fly chucker

If memory serves me correctly, there's one thing I can remember about gar....they are very toothy. In fact, they're so toothy that some people fish for them with rope flies.

Rope flies don't have hooks. Instead, they are just strands of mesh in flashy colors that snare the teeth of the gar when they strike and only get tangled even more during the fight. I suppose it's better to snip off a bit of a rope fly to free a gar than to try to unhook one from all of those teeth. I also think that rope flies are used a lot because the jaws of a gar are just so bony, maybe too tough for a hook to penetrate sufficiently.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Bass Assassin

I remember a story that my granddad told me. He was fishing once, and caught a bunch of crappies. He put them on a stringer and let them hang over the side of the boat, because he didn't have a livewell. At the end of the day, he pulled his stringer up, and there were only fishheads attached. The gar had snuck up and ate the fish off the stringer.

I would try one of those big sunfish or perch patterns used for musky or pike.

Neil
Old 02-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Recent Member

check out this website:
http://members.core.com/~garman/
has gar and bowfin fishing info. mostly conventional tackle, but some good info anyway.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:51 PM
JD

Try http://www.roughfish.com/ It seems there are a lot more people into this sort of thing than we realize.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:02 PM

JDJones; the pictures on the site you reference brought back memories.
When being taught to fish by my grandfather, 30+ years ago, I remember seeing gar on the banks of the Connecticut river. Always good to remember happy times with someone who hasn't been around for a long time.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:07 PM
JD

Rough fish

John,

Glad you liked the pics on roughfish.com If a picture is worth a thousand words, just try to describe the sensatiion you get when you come in ccontact with something such as your grandfather's shaving mug, his pipe or his fishing vest. The nose will tranport you back in time in a way that the eye cannot.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Sponsor

I've caught alot of gars in my day fishing for catfish out on the Ohio River and a few fishing in the local creeks. Nothing will send a streak of fear up you quite like a gar can that's for sure. Never caught one on a fly, sounds like fun!!!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:13 PM
Fluff

how about a 'spear' fly ??? :hehe:

I'd say flashy baitfish pattern matching small home water species.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Marine Scientist

Some of the locals use what I refer to as a "0.22-cal. bullet fly" for gar. Thank heaven I'm not from around here...
Old 02-28-2003, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisha1
Some of the locals use what I refer to as a "0.22-cal. bullet fly" for gar. Thank heaven I'm not from around here...
Sounds like spring pike shooting season on some Vermont waters

Looking at this thread no ones addressed the leader issue. My guess would be either wire or a 50-100# mono bite tippet. Anyone else have ideas.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:22 PM
"chicks dig scars"

wire works

i thought about that, but would prefer to keep the fly floating...may have try seriously foaming a fly's underbody i suppose. when we go out spinning for gar, we usually fish a live 6-8 inch chub about 4 inches deep with a plain cork float...highly effective!!! This may call for an original design...maybe a fly version of a broken back minnow? anyone wanna try and let me know how the desing turns out?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Fluff

like I said, some flash fiber bodied profile in colors that match the real thing on a polafibre baitfish design. Hook: J-bend type (Varivas 994S 1/0 - 3/00); C-bend (circle hook) hi-tie. Oops - none of that will float - so grab some craft foam sheet at the local WallyWorld and either wrap/glue it to the shank or wrap/wrap it on with a bobbin and tie to that. Maybe a tube fly on a swizzle stick, a hairhead popper, so forth..

JD wants leader - 30#class married to 50# + shock.

Last edited by DFix; 03-03-2003 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.