Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhoddy Clave update

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
Looks like we will not have the usual twelve or so Clavers this time around. Can't blame those that want to fish in their chosen species spots this time of year when things are beginning to really turn on. We are still on for Friday and Saturday if any one else is still interested. No longer a Clave format but an informal attempt to meet and greet fellow keyborders. Quentin, Adrian, Craig, Me and a few others will be be there. If you want to get the skinny on this fishery this is your chance. Sean (Mojo) has offered his expertise further up the coast later in the afternoon on Saturday and will be a chance to gain insight into his area. He will be focusing on larger bass from shore. I'm not very sure what everyone wants from a Clave so this is the best I can muster up. Please join us if you can.

Phil

#2 ·
Hey Phil, would love to join you guys, but there are bass on the Cape that I need to enjoin. The bayside has a lot of fish, but sadly, not the big girls. Consistenly, the last few days, the biggest are maybe 27 inches, but lots of them.

Good luck on the S. County. Please post the results. I've got to go home on Sunday. My wife indicated the leaves are piling up and I guess, its time to head home.

#3 ·
Phil, like I told you last Sat., my participation is strictly dependant on the weather.Rain is supposed to clear out and if the wind stays reasonable I`ll be at Barn Is. at dawn. If not then I`ll be hoofing it at the Canal with my eeling stick.
Slinger

#4 ·
jimS said:
Hey Phil, would love to join you guys, but there are bass on the Cape that I need to enjoin. The bayside has a lot of fish, but sadly, not the big girls. Consistenly, the last few days, the biggest are maybe 27 inches, but lots of them.

Good luck on the S. County. Please post the results. I've got to go home on Sunday. My wife indicated the leaves are piling up and I guess, its time to head home.
Jim. Have a safe journey back. Will definately hook up with you next year. Needed to work hard this year to make ends meet. It was good to see you at the Spring Clave. Just fire up the mower and start muching.....! I haven't raked in years.

Phil

#5 ·
Looks like Quentin is going to have the time of his life today at his favorite beach. Virtually no wind this morning...high at around 8am....Nw wind changing to SW in the afternoon. He can duck the afternoon breeze where he'll be from both directions.

Phil

#6 ·
Contact

I can be reached at:

Cell 860-389-7598
Home 860-536-3551

Call for any new updates on meeting points. So far it's Napatree at first light for Saturday and perhaps Friday evening. Don't let the wind deter you. Just dress for the weather and enjoy what it throws at us. Life is short.

Phil

#7 ·
Fresh report

Just got a report from Napatree from a freind that fished it today. He and Ed Mitchell met up with another fisherman but did not get his name. I think that may have been Quentin. They had a great day with lots of blizing activity near shore on the ocean side. I'll be there in the morning.

Phil

#8 ·
Was out last night around point judith and points a little north in the bay. Not much going on. Did get a 30 in fish on a fly and witnessed a 23 pounder taken on an eel but that was about it. No other fish for me seen or landed down that way. Did catch a bunch in the barrington river though 5 minutes from the house :roll: Very summer like fishing conditions. There are stil large schools of bunker up here in the providence area salt rivers with a lot of fish on them. Figure the bait has really got to start dumping out of the bay any day now.

From other reports and Phils it sounds like the most dependable daytime action is napatree and weekapaug. You guys are going to do well. I may drag my three year old down with me Sat AM for a couple hours. He can really cast his snoopy rod like a champ and the schoolies love his mepps spinners.

-sean

#9 ·
That's excellent Sean! I was thinking just today how well a fresh water bass type spinner bait would work on our salt water friends. It would be great to have a younger member of the group show us where the fish are! So glad you can add to the enjoyment we all share being together (near) and on the water. I might want to give that Snoppy rod a shot myself!

Phil

#13 ·
Napatree report

Quentin and I did a recon this morning during a peak high tide. Although we caught fish on both the inside and outside beach we both feel that a later morning start may be in the cards. There are tons of Sea Robins invading the bayside. gues they have not found what they need in the deeper water to sustain themselves. All fish were small to medium schoolies and pretty easy to find. We fished from first light to about 11 o'clock together and then I had to head home. We each got ten or so bass. No blues. It's going to blow pretty hard on Saturday all day.

Unless I hear from someone that wants to fish in the AM I may just wait until after lunch to fish on Saturday. It's blowing about 20 at the moment so I'm staying put with the family for the evening. Sunday looks to be the better of the three days to fish hard.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.