Fly Fishing Forum banner

October Fest...'Rhoddy' Clave Round II

5K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
Juro said it right! Can't let the weather and scarcity of our underwater friends get us down. Thus......we give it another shot. Looking at the weekend of October
21. If I get the overwhelming repsonse I'm hoping for, I am willing to meister another Clave for the Southern Rhode Island area. Would love to get a conga line going for this one (waders only) so we can all get together for our last Forum gathering of the year before the cold weather really sets in. Oct. 28 th is out for me. Birthday weekend.... needs to be spent with family. Hopefully ArtB will be able to endure the passenger seat by then and join us for the fun.

Napatree Point on Saturday (the little elbow).....a different location on Sunday.

What are your thoughts on this folks?

Phil

#5 ·
Boyoboy would i like another chance!
This past weekend I managed to disprove the old adage that a bad days fishing is better....
Besides the bad weather and scarce fish everyone else dealt with, I caught something i wasn't angeling for, a nasty flu bug which left me shaking and sweating in a soaking wet sleeping bag :frown: Not my finest hour. I'm just glad my dad was there to take the boys fishing for awhile as i hugged the camp fire and begged for a swift death.

I didn't quite completely die however and whats left of me is anxious to give it another try, especially if Lefty is gonna drag himself away from the northshore stripas - nobody else knows how to make the coffee just the way I like it! :wink:

#6 ·
I'm usually in CT or RI every weekend in October anyway so I'll probably be there for Saturday and/or Sunday. I've still got a few vacation days -- maybe I'll even take Friday off and do some scouting :cool: . Still haven't hit any real blitzes or lost any bluefish flies so I'm definitely ready to give it another go.

Q

#7 ·
What with the way things have been going lately I'm very glad I don't gamble! This will be a laid back "let's relax it a bit" gathering. No stress. We meet, we fish we thank our lucky stars (and our wifes and girlfriends) that a restful winter is coming and fatten up for the next season. Quentin.....I'll look for you that Friday.

On a happier note.......Rick Darby...Flyfishmich had a great week chasing FA's. Got a chance to fish with him today. Watched him hook and land what had to be a 10 lber from shore. I know it was heavy. I released it for him. Excellent human being and one hell of a great fisherman. Next year the Clave will be the last week in Sept. I certainly look forward to his visit again next year. Thanks Rick!

Phil

#14 ·
Chris said:
I should be able to make it with Drew. I'll check with the warden abotu a furlough.

BTW- Phil you're mail box is full, douche it out will ya!!
Sorry Chris. I've deleted all my sent mail but need to figure out how to save the replies somewwhere else as they contain important info. Pm is open again. Talk to me.

Phil

#16 ·
Rhoddy report

The daytime bite is beginning but still spotty. Lot's of fish around in the afternoon east of Weekapaug near the rocks on Thursday. Wind was honkin' NE at about 25. Had to leave at 2pm today so I'm not sure about today. Got a load of bass way up above the bridge in the channel. First was a keeper on a 2" epoxy anchovie. Lot's of backing. There is lots to explore there once I find access to the flats.

I'll be hitting the Andrea in the dark early on Saturday. They were there this am under the lights right at my feet. Perfect conditions. Only lasted 20 minutes though. Can't do Washburn. Car is still iffy.

More later.

Phil

#17 ·
bonefishmon said:
Got a load of bass way up above the bridge in the channel. First was a keeper on a 2" epoxy anchovie. Lot's of backing.
Awesome, Phil!!!:biggrin: I haven't caught a keeper in years...spend too much time chasing the hardtails when I am out there. I will have to figure out a way to spend two weeks out there instead of just one. I hope you can put some of those epoxies I left with you to use...I will have a fresh batch next year. Man, I will have to find some steelhead this weekend. Have a great time, guys!

#19 ·
FlyFishMich said:
Awesome, Phil!!!:biggrin: I haven't caught a keeper in years...spend too much time chasing the hardtails when I am out there. I will have to figure out a way to spend two weeks out there instead of just one. I hope you can put some of those epoxies I left with you to use...I will have a fresh batch next year. Man, I will have to find some steelhead this weekend. Have a great time, guys!
Those epoxies work great on bass too! Guess what caught the keep? Got half a dozen in the dark under the Andrea lights this morning. I was beat by the wind and surf and headed home before sunrise. Shad in the Weekapaug channel. Nothing on the breachway. Sorry guys not to report the daytime acyivity. Daughter's birthday today. I have to be home all day.

#22 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I've been taking notes. It seems the fishing has been a bit better the two-three days before a storm passes. This has been the case over the last month since I started paying attention. Birds have been working Napatree..ocean side hard over the last two days. All the schoolies you need to make your arm sore but be prepared to get soaked by the surf!!!!

Phil

#25 ·
striperstripper said:
A lot of fish going through the canal today,all sorts of sizes,most have the darker coloring of fish coming from different locations ,not the lighter shaded backs we're used to seeing along the cape.The migration is definitly on,but far from over.Phil I'm planning on making R.I. this time.

I look forward to your visit Paul. Perhaps you can swing by and Grab Jim away from the Cape! LOL!!!! He'll enjoy our little South Beach that we call Napatree Point. JimS......can you make it down for a day?

Phil

#26 ·
Napatree report

Launched from the Barn Island boat ramp on a beautiful.... almost windless, cold morning and headed out to the Sandy Point Islands in the kayak. Birds working hard at Napatree on the tip. Paddle all the way out and wouldn't you know.....birds leave. Headed back inside on a millpond calm to find bass breaking sporadiclly.
Tons of bass sighted near the bottom under the breaks. Fly of choice was non other than the Flyfishmich epoxy FA special. Thanks again Rick! Caught a load of fish and then the wind began to howl. I love the little Rhoddy elbow! Great sight fishing today.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.