Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhoddy Clave Signup

4K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
The air is starting to chill and the blitzes should start materializing any moment if they havn't already.

It's time to start thinking seriously about the weekend of September 23rd. Saturday will be our full day to fish for most of us. I will be fishing both Friday and Saturday. Looking to get a full gathering, conga line style on the beaches, points and breachways of southeastern Rhode Island. You can camp at Burlingame or look for a motel on the web.

This thread will see how much interest has been generated.

Who's in?

Phil

#3 ·
Should be there Fri late afternoon and Sat morning....I have a benefit tournament to fish on that Sunday. BTW, just as last year good canal tides on that weekend..so if there are none found in Rhody you can always back-track to the Ditch:smokin:

#10 ·
I'm still hoping to be there :cool: . I was planning on camping Fri - Mon or some portion thereof but it's still not definite. I should know in a day or two. If things work out right I'll be heading to the Cape this weekend and going from there to RI on Friday.

I won't have computer access once I depart for the Cape so I won't be able to participate in any last-minute planning. Phil, I'll PM my cell# so you can add me to the phone list.

Q

#12 ·
Q

No problem, the night fishing spots are all shorebound. Looking at tides for Pt. Judith that w/e gives early evening incoming and outgoing overnight into the 'wee hours ' :smokin:

Final decision on location(s) once the weather pattern can be finalized.

I'll PM my cell number.

Friday 9/22

.....Low 2:15 am
.....High 8:24 am
.....Low 2:35 pm
.....High 8:40 pm

Saturday 9/23

.....Low 2:45 am
.....High 8:57 am
.....Low 3:12 pm
.....High 9:11 pm

Sunday 9/24

.....Low 3:16 am
.....High 9:30 am
.....Low 3:48 pm
.....High 9:44 pm

#14 ·
RI Clave

I will get down there Saturday morning about daybreak at Weekapaug west parking lot. Hope to find out from friends where the fishing is the best, and what is where I can usually find out. Who ever comes I will do my best to get you into some fish. I don't know about Albies as I haven't seen any this year myself, of course though I only fish from the shore. If a couple don't mind the walk, the rocks at the end of Napatree is a real good bet this time of year, at least it has been every past year on the last weekend in September. I will take a couple of guys at a time and drive the beach from Watch Hill to Weekapaug, and from the Fire District Beach to the Westside of Quonochontaug Brechway, and from East Beach to Charlestown Breachway depending on sand conditions toward the breachway, or Blue Shutters to the rock which has produced some large bass in prior years, the name escapes me. I will give my cell phone no to the group who attend the Clave.:cool:

#17 ·
Slinger said:
For the rock hoppers in search of speedsters those morning tides are perfect at the breachways, the FA`s like to run up inside with the flooding tide.
Slinger

Steve. If the boat isn't ready will you be joining us on foot this year? Hope you can make it.

Adrian. I am looking forward to a night time outing Friday night. May have to work on Sunday. Would you be willing to co-ordinate the evening fishing?

Art. Very kind of you to offer the beach buggy. That will be a big help scouting. I'd like to join you so please add me to your list of company for the day. You are fish finder extrodinaire!

For those that have not done so already please respond if you are coming so that we can get you point man info as the day unfolds.

All attending please email your cell phone numbers for the call tree. Those numbers will be kept private if you so wish. We may converge for pizza and suds as we did last year if the group so desires but we may be too busy fishing if the weather holds.

Phil

#18 ·
Friday should be good for a night I think at judith and an easy spot to meet at. We just gotta make sure all those than can come bring korkers if we do it. A nasty wading spot, probably the worst I have ever been on in new england, and for guys fishing flies they will need to get out there on the rocks for the best shot at the bass. The new moon so it should be good. Those of the plugging variety do not leave those rods at home...

Then from there I am usually do the bars like deep hole or carpenters towards the low but a spot you are going to get wet no matter what so maybe we should pick a beach or one of the salt ponds instead.

From the way things have been the past few nights this could be a little early for the all out fall blitzes but fish will be around.

-sean

#19 ·
Pt. Jude sounds like a good place to start - tons of parking - but Sean's right, corkers / cleats, headlight, spare torch etc. are an absolute necessity. That place takes no prisoners. Same holds for deephole/carpenters if you wade out onto the bars (aka the bowling balls).

Venuring a bit further North, there are a couple of other outgoing spots that are a bit more 'wade friendly' but will necessitate blindfolding/hooding on the way in and out .... :lildevl:

I'll be armed with flyrods and conventional stuff. This time of year the odds are you are probably going to have at least one 50lb bass within 200 feet of your rod tip, maybe more. So check those backing knots that haven't seen daylight all season, make up some new leaders (20lb min) and sharpen those hooks :smokin:

#22 ·
No rocks or korkers for me. I've gotten the meassage from Mother Nature. Three stiches in the skull and the only good thing was the Doc. being a flyfisherman didn't charge me for his time.:D So , this old Hawk will let the young bucks do the climbing. The FishHawk knows some spots for nighttime forays. :lildevl:

#23 ·
sean said:
Friday should be good for a night I think at judith and an easy spot to meet at. We just gotta make sure all those than can come bring korkers if we do it. A nasty wading spot, probably the worst I have ever been on in new england, and for guys fishing flies they will need to get out there on the rocks for the best shot at the bass. The new moon so it should be good. Those of the plugging variety do not leave those rods at home...

Then from there I am usually do the bars like deep hole or carpenters towards the low but a spot you are going to get wet no matter what so maybe we should pick a beach or one of the salt ponds instead.

From the way things have been the past few nights this could be a little early for the all out fall blitzes but fish will be around.

-sean
Sean. I agree on the timing. The reefs have been slow but the inside areas of Mystic have been hot. Bait is holding inside but should bust out at any moment.
If need be we can shoot for the 30th as well. I surfed Matunuck years ago and it is a wet wading spot in the sense that if you do not have cleats you are best to wet wade in felts because you ARE going to get wet anyway. Best not to fill up the waders with water if and when you slip. Good news! Grizz may show up. If the Single Malt doesn't us the waves will! LOL!!!!!!!! Juro. Work all day.....fish all night! We know you've done it before. This is your big chance to get that that 50" fish.

Phil

#24 ·
The tally

So........for starters it looks like we have:

Artb: Beach scout
Adrian
Sean
FishHawk
Grizz
Slinger
Basser
Bonefishmon
JimW
Jared boat (scout)
Sean McDermott (hopeful for Sunday) boat (scout)

Did I miss anyone? Sure would like to hear from Chris and Drew.

Please PM me your cell phone numbers if you have not already.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.